FOCBOX Unity Dual Motor!

What you said is true but the UI is same as desktop and clicking those tiny buttons on mobile is next to impossible. So not really useful unless someone designs a new UI for Android.

It can be pretty useful if someone only has an Android device and no other computer.

I highly doubt there is even one person with that problem. Even if I only had an android device, I doubt I would still use the android app. I have tried it and its just very very hard to use.

The root of most problems starts with making assumptions about other people.

3 Likes

Zip file includes APP and desktop version. The APP has a simple UI that is mobile friendly. We don’t use USB any longer. The APP can even upload the Firmware and checks for available updates.

Frank

1 Like

The backend software of the app is pretty impressive stuff. The front end user interface is pretty terrible to use in my opinion, it needs some love before it will feel nice to use.

I take it the app is connecting over Bluetooth. Is there a certain Bluetooth module needed?

Is there any rough estimate of what this will cost around? $200-250, $250-300, $300-350… etc…? Just having the slightest idea might help some in deciding to either wait for this or just go with another option. All I’m saying…

2 Likes

The Android compatible APP you can download from vesc-project.com needs a NRF 51822 module. But this module needs to be flashed with a firmware Benjamin coded. Since people struggle to upload the firmware we have made some modules for those who want to test the APP.

The communication between phone and VESC is now a lot more speedy. If you are interested in details, you can find a thread Benjamin has created on the VESC-Project.com forum.

1 Like

I didn’t see a setup wizard?

A Link for the module please

There’s also some added mcu protection on the Unity.

In the case that your motors has faulty hall sensors and the phases get shorted out on the hall pins, it won’t blow the mcu. I actually seen a few recent cases of this happening

So in the graph, the red is a fault occuring, sticking 42V on the hall sensor pin. But on the mcu side, it will never see more than a 4.2V voltage and sinking less than 5mA.

When the fault is removed, second half of the graph. The functionality is back to normal

The normal gpio pins have those diodes internal, so only a current limiting resistor is needed. However the ADC pins do not have this protection internally

1 Like

Three little dots, bottom of APP. I will open a new thread to keep this thread clean of App stuff. Vesc App debates do not belong here. I just wanted to point out that the APP is developed by Benjamin Vedder and OS. It’s not yet 100% finished and not yet officially released in the play store. He thought it would benefit the user to have a proper wireless bridge and full functionality including firmware updates. Anyone who wants to work on the App is welcome to share their improvements on GitHub.

2 Likes

So future vesc designs should have integrated bluetooth adapter eh?

What about WiFi/Bluetooth so that you could connect bluetooth to board and also vesc-tool via tcp/ip bridge? :stuck_out_tongue:

Frank, you seem confused on how open source projects work… you can’t both open source all the code and also expect to maintain ownership of all the code you open sourced. If people want to help you with that open source version of the project that is awesome. But by open sourcing you are also making the code usable for other seperate projects. It isn’t a crime to take open source code and make something new and different, so long as license is followed and I assure you it will be. You also seem to be under the impression that someone owes you something ethically when this happens. All they owe you is gratitude and maintaining the open source nature of the code. Our app code will be open sourced and acredit the vesc-tool but it will be significantly different.

It had to be forked from the vesc tool, its functionality is different since it has to interface with a dual motor driver. I don’t like the aesthetic of that app. I don’t like the non-standard bluetooth module it needs. I don’t like the 300 unused setting 95% of users dont ever need to touch. It is one of the reasons the phone app is so difficult to use. We will also offer a modified dual motor driver of the full tool only for computer for those who do need that depth.

Our app will support the hm-10 module that most people already have. I will leave support for the nrf modules vedder has written code for as well. It also supports the on board usb C. I have been working hard to get the UI and scaling all working well so the experience will be unified

7 Likes

Which enertion has a history of not doing. 'nuff said

4 Likes

I’ve said already it will be done, please just drop this for now and if we fail to do as needed then you all can grab your pitchforks and torches ok? Give me a chance to do this properly.

4 Likes

enertion has code they are shipping NOW that they are violating the license for. It’d take a few moments to fix that. Clearly, their policy is not to. I haven’t even moved on to new stuff yet because the old stuff is still illegal.

5 Likes

Yeah that is a cool idea for sure. So far I’ve only tested with bluetooth/usb.

1 Like