Fitting 97mm flywheels?

The Abec 11 97mm flywheels seem pretty popular here, but I’ve run into a problem I haven’t actually found anywhere online yet; I can’t get them to fit. I tried them out with some Caliber II 50° 184mm trucks and a Bustin Machete 39" board, and they were hitting the sides of the board on deeper turns. What changes can I make? Would it be enough to add spacer(s) to the trucks? I tried top-mounting the board, but the screws didn’t seem to fit; anyways, I’m guessing that’s another solution? I suppose getting longer trucks like Psychotiller’s 273mm trucks might also solve my issue? And then, of course, I can try to find a differently shaped board.

What do you guys suppose is the best way to fit the 97mm wheels? I might have to get a different board anyways since this one seems more flexy than I’d bargained for (in which case I’ve got a Machete as a new cruiser, which I still consider a win :stuck_out_tongue:). I’d prefer not to have to top mount a drop-thru board since it looks kinda ugly :sweat_smile:, so I guess I’ll be putting more thought into my next board purchase. In general, though, will 184mm trucks like the Caliber II’s be fine for the 97mm flywheels or would you guys suggest wider trucks?

Risers may help, but you don’t want to be too high of the ground. I’d go for a different board shape, something like this…

I have topmounted my drop-through. I’ve printed myself some “shock pads” to use for the upper side. So it doesn’t look too naked and weird on the top. You could try get some shock pads or sth. and topmount it.