Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

Many thanks Ack ! I will do maybe tomorow during a test ride :smile: !!! (the CH3 is not connected yet, and it’s a switch like the on/off button of the remote but it should work with some practice :blush: ).

Once again, a big thanks to you ! I’ll let you know.

When CH3 on : around 2 ms when CH3 off : around 1ms

I checked it on BLDC Tool while checking the mad munkey mods I made recently. (checked maybe 5 remotes, all act the same)

That is great to hear. Then you can use channel 3 for cruise control. Just set the center to the value when it is off (1.00 ms pulsewidth). And max to 2.00 and min to 0.00 pulsewidth for example and then you should have a software cruise control via the slave VESC.

Yes!! You are The-Dude!!! Now is working fine in Sierra, thanks a lot.

I wish there was a way to record onboard, i do not have an android phone :frowning:

I used this throttle curve and now I have a lot of throttle range, I just need to pull more if I want to have more power, I also increased the start up boost and it feels more alive from launch from stand stills.

I’m loving this FW.

I wonder what could have changed by increasing te FW from 199KB to 10MB? it’s 9.8MB more!

No no, the firmware file is still around 200kb. Only the BLDC tool is around 10MB for the Mac because of the libarys which are needed. To write 10 MB of source code you would need a couple of years.

Just read the “intro” to this thread ,…why can you only get 50% throttle at high speeds ?

Is an additional hardware needed to get this appt working ?

@Ackmaniac How exactly do I go about using channel 3 button on my mad munkey (gt2b) controller? Do I need to make a Y splitter for the receiver cable to plug into channel 3 on the receiver in order to use the channel 3 button for cruise control?

You use a new servo cable that goes from the receivers channel 3 to the Slave VESC. So it only works when you have the Master and the Slave connected via CAN.

1 Like

Alright. Got it. Now how do I set it up in BLDC_Tool? And then how do I use it on my remote controller? I’m totally new to the cruise control option.

What setting are replicated in slave VESC when you set them on master?

If you set the max watt in master there’s no need to set it on slave, each motor and hall sensorssettibgs must be done individually.

What about Batt max, batt min (regen), motor am, should I set them on the master and slave individually?

Set your VESC as independant ESC. The CAN bus communication is roughly used for communicating the PPM signal from the maqter to the slave.

The motor max min, battery max min needs to be set on both. But the max watts is only needed on the master. The master doesn’t share the ppm signal. It tells the slave which current to use. And the max watts is needed at the master to calculate the current and then sends it to the slave. The motor and battery settings are the limits for each vesc individually. That means when you tell the slave to use 1000 amps it would still only go as high as its limits allows it.

A little precision about CH3 :

PPM when CH3 on : 1.06 ms PPM when CH3 off : 2.06 ms

:wink:

EDIT : @Ackmaniac I just updated the FW to 2.53 and now the PPM displays shows nothing in the ms counter. I didn’t touch anything in the hardware, just updated the FW… What did I miss ?

You have to activate PPM in the Application General Tab on the Slave VESC and then Reboot. After that chose “Cruise Control via Secondary Channel” as Control Mode and Enable the Display Checkbox to see the signal.

Then Choose the Pulsewith signal that is shown when it is off as Center Pulsewidth. Then Choose the Pulsewidth signal that is shown when it is on as minimum Pulsewidth. Then enter as maximum pulsewidth the difference between the both and calculate center + difference.

So in your case min = 1.06 center = 2.06 max = 3.06

This way it should work.

I use a single setup. Again, all was fine before I update (from 2.52). No hardware issue (didn’t touch anything, receiver’s led is solid red)

With a single you can’t use cuise control. Could it be that you connected to the wrong channel after you tested channel 3. The correct channel for the trigger is number 2 for the GT2B. And there is absolutely no difference between 2.52 and 2.53 to identify the Pulsewidth. So it must be another issue.

I’m not using cruise control. I’m talking about the PPM display in the App configuration -> PPM tab. It stays at 0 ms.

I double-cheked the receiver wiring, it’s ok. I’ll test another remote.

Are you sure that you got VCC and ground connected to the correct pins? And did you make sure that you selected PPM in the applications General Tab.