Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

Just looked for previous files, but I completely reinstalled and don’t have any. Will share as soon as I can.

@Pimousse @Maxid @SageTX Thanks for the help. Right now i have enough test data. I just need to develope the webapp. A little teaser:

4 Likes

Oh cool. Wish I’d saved some of my previous rides! How long of a ride is the graph optimized for? I’ve ridden up to an hour or so. Would it look too “squished”? :part_alternation_mark:

Just after analyzing it can look bad or good but you have the ability to zoom in any area you wan (the lower part of my picture)

Cool. How many hours are you working now on this one?

Heh, a side note - I think it is okay we did not finish that esk8database, @tueboard took care of that and made a really good one in a ‘‘matter of days’’ :slight_smile:

Since two days. Lets stay on topic here :wink:

1 Like

Just a little teaser for the coming features. Video itself is bad (sorry) but it’s only about the data.

Especially the information about the average amp hours is very interesting. I was surprised how low it is. It was only chilled cruising because mainly i was testing my new modified cruise control (it works :grin:). But i think we are able to see that if we setup 80 battery amps total (40 each at dual drive) that we are far away from drawing that contentiously.

1. Total Average Speed over the entire time (stops are counted)
  2. Riding Average Speed (stops are not counted)
  3. The Volt Label will turn yellow when the VESC reduces the power because the Battery limit start is reached and red when the battery limit end is reached.
  4. The actual volts for a single cell
  5. The TemperatureLabel will turn yellow when the VESC reduces the power because the Temperature limit start is reached and red when the Temperature limit end is reached.
  6. Average Motor amps over the entire ride time (stops included) drawn | charged
  7. Average Motor amps over the entire ride time (stops not included) drawn | charged
  8. Average Battery amps over the entire ride time (stops included) drawn | charged
  9. Average Battery amps over the entire ride time (stops not included) drawn | charged
  10. Average Temperature over the entire ride time (stops included)
  11. Average Temperature over the entire ride time (stops not included)
2 Likes

You’ll still need one - otherwise your voltage will sag too heavily.

It is still nice to have a high discharge battery. But we don’t need to reduce the max battery amps that can be drawn to half the continuous discharge rate because we are far away from doing that contentiously. But i don’t want to talk about that here in detail. There are enough other threads already about it. I only want to provide the tool that everybody can collect and share their own data. So we can stop guessing and hopefully get rid of a couple of myths.

3 Likes

Awesome !!! I can’t wait to test it !

But I can see something strange on bargraph. How are set the scale ?

i.e. at a moment, you reach 60A with the motor and the bar was half full. Oh, and it’s also strange that you could go over 60A (max current motor shown in the the mode tab), isn’t it ? Or is it due to your dual configuration ? (so the scale is twice the motor current parameter)

These values get multiplied by the amount of VESCs. If you only want to see it for a single one then say that you only have 1 VESC

Yes, I got that. It was mostly for the bargraph scale. Are the max and min scale for green and red bar calculated from the Bat/Motor max and min parameters (multiply by the amount of VESC) ?

Awesome, sehr geil. But: iOS pleeeeease :grin:

3 Likes

Yes the red and green bar shows the maximum that is allowed by the actual settings. So you always see if you push any of the limits.

Again such a good job! This app looks so good and shows lots of cool stuff to get a better understanding for our boards. Thx very much for putting so much efford into this Ack! Much love from your german brotha :kissing_heart:

Have you considered once again to place a temp sensor on batteries? I think this is the only way how to see, if batteries get a bit more damaged with heat or not… and especially - to see when this heat starts to happen in them.

I think you mentioned you have such an idea but it seems there is not much info when you plant to implement this and show us some more complete picture about battery discharge characteristics…

So far we only know that there is not a continous charge happening for batteries, so you just recommend not to sitck to ‘‘being safe with batteries’’ but instead to use them fully…

At least that is what I got from you from other posts/commentions you’ve made in some other topics!

IF this goes astray a bit, please say so, can write some of that in private info or edit away

I will make videos with a temperature attached. But not to the VESC. But it would be possible to attach temperature sensors. Also for the motors which would make more sense to me.

Yeah, it can be either motor or battery. I also had idea to mount thermistor to a motor but then I just came up with an idea to install an outside 3d printed fan to help with cooling!

I have not installed it yet but If I saw that my motor warms up a lot, I would probably install it.

Besides that - This is what I saw in your video - if there was a place for motor temp or battery temp, then we would get a lot more info, related to these two other electronic devices, we use besides vesc!

At the moment i spent some time optimizing the cruise control so that it can be used for carving. In the actual firmware it is already quite nice but in the next release it will be even better. But to make the same optimization for the Nunchuk is not that easy. The cruise control PID controller will also be adjustable via the app later on. Because each time the motor amps get changed the PID controller needs fine adjustments. But with the app it will be easy to find a good setup quickly.

I also want to implement the feature to change from BLDC to FOC via app. But for that a restart will be necessary. That means you press the butten in the app and it will take around 3 seconds to update and restart the Master and all slave VESCs. So you can decide by yourself if you want to run in silent or sound mode. I will also check if the FOC or BLDC motor setup was executed. Otherwise i won’t allow the change.

1 Like

@Ackmaniac So we just need to connect the steering channel from the mini receiver to the slave VESC and choose “Cruise control via Secondary Channel” and that’s it?

Or do we need to tweak something else?