Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

You also have to adjust the pulse with min, center and max and set the application to PPM. Because cruise gets activated when you steer 30% to the left or right.

Your voltage will sag either way! I have 12S 8Ah Zippy Flightmax rated to “30C”. They have enough juice but the voltage still sags but the battery draw was at peak 21.17A! Maybe it is just because the battery is a 1P but they can deliver at least 100A

1 Like

I published the new Firmware 2.53

The BLDC-Tool now has Tool-tips to the most parameters so that it should be more understandable what those parameters mean. They also include tips to which values you should set them based on your battery or motors. To see them please go with the mouse to the parameters Name and don’t move the mouse. After a second or 2 they should appear. FOC motor detection should be a bit easier because i added a numbering of the steps and a little explanation.

PPM has a setup wizard for the minimum, center and maximum pulse-width. This should make it easier for newbies to set it up.

PPM has a new Cruise Control calculation for Current control and Watt control. It makes the ride smoother especially when you carve at cruise control.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A lot of new features are added which improves the communication with my app. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Full Nunchuk support (NRF should work as well) So you can connect the Bluetooth module to the slave VESC when you have a dual drive and still change ride modes and the settings.

- Power output limit visualization That should mean if the VESCs output power is limited by the low voltage or the VESCs temperature you will be able to see it in the app and in the Videos.

- Throttle curves are adjustable via the app and for each drive mode individually.

- Support for @DeathCookies web tool so that all the data can be detected and visualized

- Each time the app starts it first asks all the VESCs in the system for Faults and shows detailed information. These will be shown on the main screen.

- If a fault is detected on the master VESC during a ride it will be shown on the Main Page with detailed information. Sadly it is not possible at the moment to detect faults of Slaves after the first startup. So if you think one of the slaves had a problem just simple close and start the app and all VESCs will be asked for faults. Later on i will implement a button to ask at any time.

Errors are shown like this

- You can connect to each slave in the system, or to the Master via Slave by enabling the can communication in the settings and adjust the controller Id of the VESC you want to communicate with. this way it is also possible to connect to the master when the Bluetooth module is connected to the Slave.

- Supports Realtime data for standard Vedder Firmware. Aditional features only work with my firmware mod. But the actual motor settings and the Realtime data is also visible for the standard firmware.

- Average Motor, Battery and Temperature values are calculated and shown for total time and also for riding time only.

And i fix the bug with the speed limit in the firmware. So also a new Firmware file will be necessary.

I fixed a bug with the communication to the Bluetooth module and it is very stable now. If it looses connection it will reconnect automatically within a second.

As always google needs half a day for to publish the new Version in the Play store. If you can’t wait you can find the apk file in my Dropbox link in the first post of this thread.

Windows BLDC-Tool, Modified Firmware, Ubuntu BLDC-Tool and Android app

Android App download Android App

Bluetooth modules ca be ordered here.

Cable to connect the Bluetooth Module with the VESC easily Cable with Connector

And if somebody wants to honor all the work. Donations When you want to send a donation then don’t use dots. (Germany uses commas). So use full numbers or a comma.

16 Likes

I’ve been following this for awhile, but I must say that this looks pretty amazing

Would you ever consider an iPhone version? I would easily pay $5-10 for an app like this

1 Like

Use the search function, it has been asked a few times already.

So - from these who have already tried the new BLDC tool 2.53 - how does it look?

Can you feel the improvement?

Im especially interested in how these Tooltip text fields turned out! Does it offer info which was not momentarily available in the bldc tool?

• Watt-Control ist awesome
  • Data-Monitoring is working flawlessly
1 Like

Just download it and test it. To see the Tooltip texts you don’t need to connect a VESC. Only start BLDC-Tool.

1 Like

Great, thank you! You also made modifications to the firmware compare to the source you published the last time in “Modded BLDC complete source code.zip”? I try to check and compile your FW for my VESC4.7 HW - so would be good to know.

Great job @Ackmaniac!!!

AWESOME JOB @Ackmaniac !!! Thanks!

Ok guys - this latest announcement from Ackmaniac finally forced me to akt reagarding the fact that the AckApp won’t run on my iPhone. Hijacked the Android phone of my youngest son :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

I realize it has been asked before; I have been following this thread since day one.

But if people don’t keep asking, it will never happen. There has be a continued interest in an iPhone version to convince Ackmaniac (or others) to develop one

From what I recall, the main arguments against an iPhone version were (1) the developer costs, and (2) lack of access to a Mac/iPhone. If the app cost $5-10 to download, the $100/year in developer fees would be easily covered and then some. I would throw $10 to your developer fees right now, and I’m sure 9 others would too. Lastly, you don’t need a Mac or an iPhone to produce apps for them; all you need is a virtual machine running X-code.

Fact of the matter… iPhone users are a bit in the dark here. There isn’t one solid app that do both data monitoring/logging as well as VESC configuration with watt control. I sincerely appreciate all the hard work of the developers doing this stuff in their spare time

3 Likes

I finnally got an Android Phone because of this App. You can get old Android Phones pretty cheap. I fully understand that he is not providing an IOS-Version. Porting an APP to different platform takes a lot of time and for IOS a lot of money too and it’s not fun. I rather want him to put this time into more feature and bugfixes.

2 Likes

$10 from one person is meaningless. $10 from many people is not. A crowd-funded iPhone VESC app of this caliber could be very successful. I am aware of the amount of work that this entails; I am also aware that almost half of all [USA] smartphone users have an iPhone.

EDIT: Source: Apple's iPhone Market Share Is Static, But iPad Is Tumbling | Fortune

1 Like

The tool is more or less finished @Pimousse @maxid @SageTX @Okami

1 Like

Maybe in the US, in the rest of the world, not really.

Well, my impression does not really match that statistic. Not claiming it was not true, but i would say more than 60% of my friends have an iPhone. And they belong to the main target group of electric longboards. Beside that target group, i see far more people using non-IOS smartphones. Maybe that statistic is not the best one to look at here?

I can understand all the concerns that there is no apple app. The reasons are:

• i don’t have experience in developing Iphone apps
  • i don’t have a developer account
  • i don’t have a MAC
  • i don’t have a IPhone
  • no time at the moment
  • want to finish the Andoid App with the features i have in mind

I don’t want to offend anybody but i will delete future posts about the IPhone discussion because many times people ask me if i can give explain them what the need to do get the firmeware, bldc-tool, bluetooth module and app installed because they don’t want to read more than 600 posts. So please try to stay a bit on topic. (I know IPhones could be counted as a topic but it doesn’t help in improving the app or firmware mod).

6 Likes