Evolve Skateboards - New Board - GT Carbon!

I have 85a venom eliminators on my top and bottom tier for the front trucks. Still wiggles a bit, I weigh around 155. I think you made a good choice with the hardest eliminators. Definitely works better than barrels. Just cancelled my order for harder barrels because I was able to fit my eliminators on the front truck. Probably gonna put both pink ones on the rear truck because it turns way too much. Great for carving and I have learned how to ride with it, but I prefer worrying about the front truck.

@Tarzan , I still have a Raptor on order. Due hopefully within the next 3 weeks. I miss the caliber trucks because they make it very easy to go fast. It was a wise choice by Boosted to put them on because it’s what makes eboarding so simple to pick up.

HOWEVER, maneuvering with your whole body is something I kinda really like. Granted, the only reason it’s so good for me now is because I cruise on the sidewalk, it’s incredibly easy to move around obstacles, plus your really do surf on land. I’ve learned to love it, but it has it’s pains. The stance I had to adopt to eliminate speed wobbles isn’t comfortable, but very functional and I’ll only get better. I also noticed half the time speed wobbles (for me at least) are caused by two things, weak stabilizer muscles and lack of confidence.

I was very confident going at the slow speeds I was earlier today. Accelerating braking was all easy. I didn’t push it too far because I am still recovering, but have no doubt I will get it down because if I do the freedom with this trucks turn radius and the fun I have actually surfing on the street is hard to be matched. No fucking way I could do what I do now on a caliber lol A kick tail is great, but being able to just use your whole body in a fluid motion to navigate terrain is amazing.

This thing is not for beginners, I’m surprised @Rob.Endless picked it up so easily, though if I wasn’t so used to the calibers I probably could’ve picked this up a bit easier. It’s hard reprogramming yourself. Overall I wouldn’t trade this board for a Raptor. It may have its quirks, but it got delivered quickly, the support has turned out to be awesome, quality control is on a whole other level (more so than even Boosted I believe), and the range is incredible. Not to mention torque and whatnot…you just can’t go wrong.

Sorry to bring this off topic but just wanted to share these thoughts :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What the hell!!! I am a realllllly nice guy in real life but I guess everyone here is way nicer, this guy comes to the GT forum to talk smack, starts off by saying how he is honestly happy how some people are having a hard time with the GT…and then goes on by comparing it to downhill longboarding. Screw all that, this guy is an obvious asshole. I pretty much read almost all the topics here on the forum and not just this one. I thought this guy was cool, totally lost respect for him tho.

It’s hard to be unbiased about boards you either own/made. Everyone always says their board is the best because of xyz, and neglects problems abc. I was the same way with Boosted, and then I wasn’t…now, I just want to ride and this board rides good enough for me to enjoy. It’s work, but I enjoy the hell out of it and it’s just as much of a challenge as it was my first day of eboarding on a dual +. In the end you are rewarded with the many benefits being able to move truly freely has. I expect on my commute tomorrow it will be very handy with all the pesky pedestrians :slight_smile:

The whole thing about being honestly happy someone is having a hard time is just an asshole move period.

1 Like

That sound is likely the washer bumping against the kingpin. The washers inner diameter is a little larger than the kingpin, so it slides back and forth. After a few days of riding it should stop clicking like that! (The washer needs to “settle in” to the profile of the baseplate, and then it will stay still!)

It is safe to ride with that sound as long as all the other nuts and bolts are tightened properly. Happened on my normal longboards all the time.

1 Like

Yeah a socket is highly complex. I guess times two must be bit hard for you.! Lol I couldn’t come up with comedy that good.

1 Like

Ok guys here is the update on the “batt error” on my GT

2 Likes

Loving Evolve USA. Great guys over there now. Congrats @Rob.Endless :slight_smile:

1 Like

Going to apply the 3M clear bra film tomorrow, plus grip tape in the high wear area in the pic I previously posted. It will also cover the CF blemish from my lead foot so that I will never have to see it again. It is like a new phone, eventually I will care less about scratches and all that stuff.

I applied the bra but only on the belly. And it was a nasty job. Tried doing it without water because I was nervous about it leaking into the board. But this 3M stuff for ~$20 is no joke, I tested it before and even with the sharpest knives I have it doesn’t penetrate easily. Very clear and damn near invisible if you apply it perfectly. I put grip tape on all edges and it’s helped tremendously. Will be doing a neater job in a few and post pics. I’m using vicious grip tape which matches the CF very nicely and sparkles in the light a bit : p

It should hold up really well, these things are used on cars and last for several years under the hot sun without discoloring. I haven’t had any plans on putting it on the bottom because I am not sure how to shape it around. The top seems easy, its pretty much just flat. I looked into the two brands you mentioned in previous posts about grip tapes. I say put a little patch of clear bra where the nose guard foam makes contact with the bottom of the deck, dirt, dust plus vibrations may cause clear coat damage. If you haven’t already that is.

1 Like

I haven’t put anything on the nose actually. The big ass abecs / AT wheels protect it from most curb impacts so I haven’t issues with it. Will probably do it for good measure but not too concerned. I’m not riding in the street hard yet so I don’t think it’s gonna get as dirty as my BB did quickly. I put it on the belly because I wanted the branding to remain looking nice :stuck_out_tongue: will probably take it off though since it looks really bad with a lot of wrinkles and air bubbles. Kind a gave up and just threw it on however it would fit lol

1 Like

on the topic of sidewinders & bushings: Ive ridden an evolve carbon for 1.5years nearly daily, most often at max speed and what I leanrt about the sidewinders:

I dont like them at all :laughing:

but I can tell very well where they are coming from: someone wanted to make a stiff and light carbon board that can support internal electronics, but whoever build it (jeff annings) also wanted a turny surfy feel, playing with energy returns, all the things you can do with a flexy cruiser deck.

the sidewinders are able to emulate that a little bit - with their dbl kingpin they are quite soft and dampen vibrations quite well, with their 2nd stage kingpin they add turnyness and somewhat snappy energy returns which feels a little like a flexy deck and energy returns of the board.

in my eyes, jeff did the only thing that was possible for him.

nevertheless, sidewinders arent really great trucks in my eyes. they are not very precise, the board is superhigh above the ground and that “snap” of the trucks is just not the same as precise smooth trucks with a snappy deck. most people dont manage to tame the sidewinders, witnessed by the numerous videos about people fallingg off an evolve after speed wobbles. :yum:

I think they can be tamed, but in the end that most often means you make the 2nd kingpin quite dead which essentially leaves you more or less with a fairly imprecise single kingpin truck and in my eyes there are plenty better out there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I spend a whole weekend and a box of bushings worth 200€ trying to dial in the feeling I wanted from my evolve. I ended up with semi-dead boardside kingpins, a pretty stiff rear roadside and a medium front roadside. wasnt really any other way for me to enjoy carving beyond 30kph and to get the trucks to follow my lines halfway well.

5 Likes

Great insight @whitepony, as always.

What do you think would happen if someone were to run sold aluminum or steel bushings on one of the trucks and urethane on the other? Or maybe one solid and one urethane on each kingpin? Could that possibly dial out some of the excess movement of the trucks and make them more stable at speed, or would that cause other problems?

probably possible, but youd loose some comfort too. also i think the middle bushing seat that connect roadside with boardside kingpin would eventually just break. its already the achilles heel of that truck - ive seen a few of those in pieces! :wink:

think there are a lot of reasonable middle grounds of low speed maneuverability, surfy cruising fun, comfortable damping and sufficient stability for evolves max kph.

my vanguard for example is awesome and surfy at mid to high speeds, very stable at 45kph, but its maneuverability is really bad at low speed when you cant really flex the deck into a strong rocker and artificially increase the truck angle. 50degree calibers with a 42" deck isnt enough at low speeds. my evolve had a smaller turning radius, so thats one of the few food things about of those sidewinders.

@Mr_Mahal

Regardimg your clicking noise, check this video at around 10.28

I think it has to do with zealus bearings

@Tarzan I feel I need to weigh in on the truck concern. I’m a fairly noob rider, with so minimal background in skating. Few goes on older evolves, and random boards, and now the GT. I have to say as a novice rider I actually don’t really have any issues. Adjustment wasn’t difficult to find my happy spot, and I comfortably sit pinned in GT. I had heard people having concerns regarding sidewinders so was asking around heaps before buying. (as people have prob seen me asking questions here) one guy from fb page was saying while they share similar design, the angle and geo are potentially different. Also the GT has wider axle than their previous.

Basically at the end of the day, I don’t really have any issues and I’m happy with it. Like everything eboard, saying something is categorically right or wrong isn’t really correct. @Mobutusan you be messing with the entire operation of geo I’d think. Plus as @whitepony stated ride quality issues. And I think noise too.

2 Likes