Evolve GT | Wheels Sizes & Pulley Setups

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152339939685

These are the only ones I could find. Luckily, I have access to a lathe and other tools that would be able to accommodate it to my board. I haven’t found one that will fit right on yet.

Get in touch with calikites. They are going to order some next week. I am getting a set for sure. I just picked up a set of abec11 97m. The board now goes 2 mph faster on the flats. With the new gear. Might go 31mph!!

hey asuras, was wondering how your pulley replacement went?

Hey all, I did a quick calculation of motor gear / wheel gear / and wheel size ratio and the possible speed to achieve on an Evolve GT skateboard. I saw on the forum ‘tequilaman’ verified that the motor gear of 20 teeth, with 97 mm wheel size achieves 33mph (that’s slower than the calculated 34mph but probably due to increase wind resistance). The 107mm requires shaving 10mm off the width of the wheel to accommodate the rear wheel install.

Is it possible to achieve the theoretical 38mph? (or does the increase wind resistance at high speed make this not possible). Of course, throw the acceleration factor out completely if you want to achieve the top speed.

What is everyone’s sweet spot on torque and speed and wheel size. It a balance game between distance, ride comfort, torque, and speed.

2 Likes

Thanks for pulling together that data set. I can validate the 107mm on 15/32 and 15/38 looks correct (depending on rider weight etc). There are other eSk8 in NYC that ride 20T on the motor side, maybe they can weigh in on 20T for 97mm wheels, thouhg moste are doing it DIY not CGT. I have settled on 97mm on 15/38, and more likely to tune it for torque than topspeed for nyc esk8. Don’t know of anyone trying 20T on 107mm yet, but torque would suffer so much that only do it for science lol!!

I used my calculator to go a bit deeper into this (https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/path-of-esk8-build-tree/16774/19)

For my understanding of physics, torque is independent on wheelsize, it is messured at the axle. But the wheelsize defines the force that is put on the road which defines acceleration and hill climbing.

about the same data as above:

2 Likes

What is the procedure for taking the pulley off of the motors? Then, can they be put back on? It looks like the 20mm pulleys need a shim and the hex nut. In any case is locktight used?
Will locktight release its hold if you heat it with a torch? Thanks

Great torque Calc table. Thanks. Can everyone weight in in their favorite gear and wheel setup of speed vs comfort vs distance vs torque?

I have 76mm / 15t-32t. Man the torque is insane but it’s like riding a low rider. You feel every bump and crack. Very rough ride.

I am leaning heavily towards 107mm / 15t-38t but hesitant due to lost of distance. Can anyone please tell me what distance they are getting out of that setup in stock battery? Also this setup is costly because I have to buy another gear set.

Yes a torch/ heat releases the loctite.

In my experience, wheel size makes a huge difference in range.

Everything tested on Fast mode only on the same route. Rider weight: 105kg

83mm 15-32T: 18-20mi 15-38T: Yet to test. Too damn slow. Probably bore myself to death. 20-32T: 16-18mi 20-38T: Don’t have a long enough belt.

97mm 15-32T: 13-15mi 15-38T: 12-14mi 20-32T: LOL 20-38T: Same as above.

Also I’m selling my 38T gear set. So I’ll probably never get around testing it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So I get faster speed and longer range with 83mm 20-32T than 97mm 15-32T. Wonder what the results would be like for a 50-65kg rider? In this case it seems I get 25% less range with 97mm wheels.

Range should not heavily depend in wheelsize, it should be about 10Wh/km (more or less) Maybe the range lost is to heavy Voltage Sag, so it’s maybe a problem of the battery, not sure

Can you compare the Voltage Sag on different wheels?

Aeroquiv, are you on a Bamboo or Carbon?

it’s a carbon. I still have to try to calculate the internal battery resistance. My route requires me to stop a lot. So it’s possible I notice a significant range penalty because I have to decelerate and accelerate so often. If I was in a scenario where I stayed at a constant speed until depletion on level ground, then perhaps the wheel size and unsprung weight wouldn’t matter as much.

When I have the time, I’ll try an experiment to calculate internal resistance by doing several acceleration runs in fast mode since it limits to 20 amps. It would be much easier in a controlled environment with the battery alone, but I just don’t have the equipment. So there will probably be many sources of error.

Installed the 38t pulley on the stock 15t and 83mm wheels. The top speed is 19mph yes, however you get there much faster. If hills are what you ride on all day, this is a fantastic set up. Last month I upgraded to 97mm 32t and hit 25mph on the flats all the time in fast, 20 in eco.Down hill hit speeds of 32-36. Up hill was slower and in GT I would stay on the power down to 0% then hit battery drain usually right at the top of the hill. Turn it back on and it would bounce back to 68% or whatever. Now riding with the 38t and 83mm. Up hill in fast or GT, much less sag from the battery. Braking is much more powerful and it seems like a lot more recovery as well. I road twice as many hills as normal and went faster up them and never had the board shut off on me. The battery motor and controller were all very hot.
Does the 20t pulley on the thread above work on these motors?

Hey! Would I be able to get a pair? I e-mailed you, but I’m never sure how much people check their e-mails. Lol

Just emailed you back

I just bought a racestar replacement motor and now i need a replacement pulley. Where should i get the motor pulley?

is this it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-5M-15T-Timing-Belt-Pulley-Gear-Wheel-Sprocket-8mm-Bore-For-15mm-Belt-/152470197426?hash=item237fee94b2:g:EBQAAOSw2gxYw3O7&vxp=mtr

or this 16mm wide pulley? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTD-5M-15T-16W-5-6-6-35-8-10mm-Bore-Pitch-5mm-Timing-Belt-Drive-Pulley-15-Tooth-/252402866384?var=&hash=item3ac46218d0:m:mqPLXSwNb81pLApP7iWEZCw

I have purchased those before, also depends how much or a hurry you are in, lol. The second link does not seem to have the 16mm in stock listed so would have to go with the first. Better would be steel option over these aluminum ones.

Best ones I have lying around now are @Titoxd10001 steel ones, sold me 14T motor x 40T wheel steel pulleys. Ships from California not China so quicker lol. Also can find steel on aliexpress not just ebay fyi.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/lower-price-15mm-steel-motor-pulley-40t-abec-flywheel-mbs-all-terrain-pulley/16586

http://alexnld.com/product/racerstar-motor-gear-red-for-brh5065-brh5045-brushless-balancing-scooter-motor/

what do you think about these? Someone from the NY crew sent me this link but you are right steel is stronger but does it fit perfectly?.