Enertion Raptor | First Batch Problems & Solutions

here is a sample of the Pure Class Fiber Lid. It will come with grip tape. But i am looking at some other options too. Ill no more tomorrow.

1 Like

To help me manage all the issues I have created a sheet for everyone to log their issues. Please open the sheet and enter the details.

RAPTOR PROBLEMS SHEET

the next few days ill be dedicating to sorting out all these problems. so please Update this sheet ASAP

I have an update on the VESC voltage limits settings. These are the settings that Jason recommended in order to prevent the BMS (Battery Management System) LVC (Low Voltage Cut-off) from kicking in. Iā€™m happy to report they worked most excellently!

The hill I used is the one on the way to my house. Itā€™s a 700ā€™ elevation gain over 1.5 miles. Itā€™s not a steady incline, so some sections are very steep while others are less steep. The battery was at approximately 55% - 60% when I started the hill. What I noticed was 2 things:

1. The board slowed down (but did NOT stop!!!)
  2. In the steeper sections, the LCD fuel gauge backlight shut off, and the LCD fuel reading went to a steady 0% (it did not shut off).

The entire time the board behaved very well, and other than the slower speed I had absolutely NO ISSUES! Thanks Jason!!

In the end, the hill consumed about 30% - 35% of my total battery capacity, so while the Raptor is definitely capable of climbing hills, doing so REALLY eats the battery.

On a side note, Iā€™ve never liked going down hills on my longboard - Iā€™m more of a cruiser guy. And today I learned that having an electric skateboard doesnā€™t change that. I still donā€™t like going down hills. I just donā€™t feel comfortable and my thought now is that Iā€™m not sure ANY skateboard could change that. So as far as my commute goes, Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™ll do. I may just bite it and tune the braking force a bit better for my hills, or I might just take a vehicle down the hill and use the board the rest of the way.

Oh come on now old man, a little hill scares you?..with breaks! If you canā€™t ride down a hill I canā€™t imagine you really put the power of the raptor to good use. Maybe you should have went with a more[quote=ā€œXusia, post:246, topic:1296ā€] cruiser [/quote] board like the Z board, or the hoverboards your kids probably own. :grin::v::money_mouth_face::joy::kissing_heart:

LOL (I assume you are teasing me)

A ā€œlittleā€ hill absolutely does not scare me. But you havenā€™t seen these hills - they are far from little. And braking is not as well tuned as propulsion. In one of my videos I mention that there seems to be only 3 levels of braking force: 1)You might have applied the brakes, but you arenā€™t totally sure; 2)Oh yeah, thereā€™s the brake, but itā€™s not quite enough; and 3)STOP THE BOARD RIGHT Fā€™ING NOW!!!

Iā€™ve not written it completely off. Just considering all options.

Just teasing of course. :roll_eyes::upside_down_face:

I think you might just not be used to the sensitivity still. Thereā€™s a sweet spot in there I promise. I found mine before the motor fell off. (which is getting fixed finally)

I started feeling more comfortable going down hills after I started training my brain into remembering that I went faster on flat ground. I hit 26 or 27 mph consistently on flat ground and only like 22ish downhill.

I found the sweet spot on the propulsion side, so Iā€™m hoping I can find it on the brakes as well. I just made another change to the max regen force, and I plan to commute tomorrow, so I guess Iā€™ll see how it goes. Iā€™m going to brave the hill. Again. :smile:

Letā€™s hope we find a way to improve the braking feel beyond these three levels just as you have with acceleration. I can see myself being like you @xusia when it comes to downhill braking. I think a big part of that is understanding that there is more potential energy at any given point while facing a downhill as well as a chance at a runaway Raptor should the brakes fail and I bail.

To be completely comfortable I know Iā€™ll need to be not just comfortable with the speed of a downhill, but itā€™s control and reliability. I canā€™t slide to brake ā€œon demandā€ (yet), so Iā€™m mostly limited to foot braking even while going downhill. Obviously this isnā€™t as effective as foot braking while on uphill or flats. For me, that means Iā€™ll need to trust the Raptor will have brakes I can control in order to take downhills with momentum. Iā€™d really hate to end up bailing and sending my $1000+ Raptor off a cliff, into traffic, or anywhere more than 10 feet from myself really .

Maybe I can modify some avalanche airbag technology to protect the Raptor, people, and things (to some degree) in the event of a brake fail and bailā€¦ Actually, anyone done something like this already, anywhere?

@onloop How exactly do you wish to have your spreadsheet used. Is it so that you may track all issues from beginning to end? Or is more to track open issues? What I mean is should we bother with listing things that youā€™ve already resolved? If, for example, someone didnā€™t get a handle on their Raptor but youā€™ve already sent, and they received, the new one, would you want that on the list? What if you sent it but it hadnā€™t yet been received?

Basically do you want issues to be cleared from the list by us, by you, or to remain as a record for future reference? If they are to be cleared at what point should that happen when the issue is resolved completly, or after youā€™ve taken action to resolve the issue?

Ok took the board out again for a dusk ride because I couldnt handle looking at the board just sitting in the corner of the lounge.

Fun factor to the Max.

Theres always a but and I actually think the cruise control on my hand controller is not set correctly. When I push to a speed( at this point the lowest I think that I can handle) its not maintaining the speed. The thing is ramping up. I mean its like its as if Iā€™m pushing the throttle forward.

Now your going to ask is this a one off. No. I tried this a few times and in actual fact the thing wanted to take off. Its not good. The cruise function is not working as it should.

It should be called the Nitro button. Which I suppose is fine if you have the confidence that you think you had enough time to throttle off and slow down. Trees donā€™t move if I hit them when I come off.

My brakes work well.Too good. No issues with that at least.

Regen braking is good as I can see the battery indicator go up after some good downhill work.

Any ideas whats happening here.

Thanks a lot. I had the same problem (and falls, pains and scratches) and ā€¦ same solution So happy !!!

I also hesitate to add an externally accessible USB which may allow programming the VESC without opening the lid ā€¦

Did you adjust the pulse settings on your VESC? It make a big difference to the cruise control as well.

Yes it is super annoying to get the 14 screws out :smiley: I changed them to shorter screws, so I have reduced the screwing a lot. The idea of an external usb cable is in my mind too just in the beginning to find my sweet spots.

As Tarzan asked, did you update the settings in the VESC? If not, that should definitely be step 1.

I had the same problem with the cruise control, and I talk about in the last video I made. The final solution (step 2) was the learn to push that button down without actually moving it forward, which I was definitely doing; and I didnā€™t think I was until I accidentally got it right and experienced cruise control working like I expect. It takes a bit of skill to do correctly on demand. Iā€™m still not perfect, but I can do it correctly about 50% - 60% of the time now on the first try.

There may be others so keep the list going. Anything I can do to help Jason Iā€™ll try there is a great market for these boards. If I did not have several inches of snow on the ground from last nights storm Iā€™d be out making videos right now.

May be a silly question but @onloop can the USB connection be mounted 90 degrees on the board to permit programming without removal or an adapter?

maybe i can answer hat. the usb slot is on the side of the VESC. that would mean he would need to mount them horizontally instead of vertically. apart from other disadvantages there is not enough room for to do so.

edit: sorry just realized you got the raptor yourself

@lowGuido haha munch munch