DIY Trampa long 35 E-MTB | Dual VESC SIX | Sensored EMAX GT5345

@squad Can you link me your light bar? Did you just connect it to a 2s or 3s lipo? Did you have to get any stepdown converter?

looks like a rc component MrRobot, 4 inch? “rc4wd” make the best ready available units but are not cheap

I was wondering the width. I have the same type Trampa @squad does, I measured the width about 2-3 inches down from the tip and it looks about 7 - inch wide. Not sure.

I thought this from Amazon would do (it has a range of 12-24V):

https://www.amazon.com/OLS-Ultra-Slim-Single-1530lm-Waterproof/dp/B06XHV7GLP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1506254345&sr=8-8&keywords=led+light+bar+7+inch&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

And just solder on an XT60 connector or what not to the end of the light. If it works great! I just need to give away the other light.

3w cree LED’s are decent, you can flip the mounts in-ward if you like too?

1 Like

I ordered it from ovovs (Chinese producer) they list it on AliExpress, it’s supposed to generate 18W, I use it with step down converter, at 12V (it can take up to 24 if I recall correctly). It was super cheap, like 10$, paid twice as much for shipping. The one from amazon looks just like it, but If you contact ovovs directly you can choose if you want flood beam or more focused one (I chose flood and it works perfectly for me). Factory brackets were to short for me (nose of the board was in the way) I had to make new ones by myself.

I’ll post some sick ridelogs and photos tonight, VESC SIX and my trampa got some real hardcore testing.

1 Like

good call yes on the brackets… i am sold

@squad thanks yeah want to see your ride logs

Allright so here is my ride log, I triggered over dozen of overcurrent faults, it was pretty rough uphill terrain, wheels struggled for grip and VESCs got quite warm.

My VESCs settings are: Motor current max 90A Motor current max brake -80A Absolute maximum current 150A Battery current max 80A Battery current max regen -60A

Motors are running in sensored FOC (FW 3.29), any suggestions what to adjust to avoid overcurrent faults (@trampa) ?

So here is the ridelog

And now few pics from the trail, they show how my board gradually got covered in thicker and thicker mud layer.

And here final result just before hosing it all down, quite muddy :smiley:

16 Likes

Nice that you are back on the Board :grinning:

Dirty Bastard… the Board of course :grin: Like it always how it looks covered in mud !

Benjamin compiled a “High Current Sampling” mode which can be activated… I think you have to use the “No limit” FW … after this you can set the Absolute Max Higher… up to 190A… maybe that helps

Also did you use some positive Ramping Time ? Set mine to “0” that gives me also more OverCurrents …

Connect next time to Vesc-Tool and check for the Fault Codes…

Cheers

1 Like

That’s nice to look at this huge ride !! :slight_smile: crazy terrain !

My positive ramping time is 0,9s, default. Overcurrents happened when I tried to apply throttle and jumped the board a bit front in hope the wheels would find grip and I’d start rolling uphill. So the wheels were spinning midair and overecurrents happened on landing. I’ll check out high current sampling mode, I see in my ridelogs battery current never exceeded 40A, and motorcurrent also stayed below 90A, so this is probably some glitch…

Connecting to VESC tool to gather mode detailed data might be problematic, I only had this problem in kinda extreme uphill area, I doubt I could make it happen with my mac connected by usb cable :smiley:

@Riako Thanks! Terrain was really crazy, I took my girlfriend jeeping on that trail later that day, we almost got stuck in mud a little bit further than I reached by my trampa, but grand cherokee managed to overcome this difficulties. Today I left lots of mud on carwash floor :sunglasses:

1 Like

So cool ! A bit hard for me to follow all your english words :blush: … but I think I got some glitch too, no overcurrents faults ritched yet but get unpleasant reaction during uphill acceleration in off road.

Good ride mudman :v: :wink: never recover mine yet … dont get waterproof vesc6 box right now …

3 Likes

Today I met with @Idea and we went for a ride, he took his trampa street carver on pneumatics.

We had nice chat and tommorow will hit forest trails on our eMTBs.

Here is temeletry from our trip, @rpasichnyk motor temp monitoring works nicely, You can see clearly below how motors cooled down to ambient temp while I stopped to chat with Tom. Thanks for frequent updates and implementing users suggestions!

Update from saturday, Me and Tom met again to ride some offroad trails this time. I honestly must say it was the best ride on an eMTB I had since finished this board, rough hilly terrain (but lots of dirt tracks, so we could hit throttle and have fun).

@Idea managed to capture some fotage on an easier section of the trail

And my metr.at app recorded telemetry from my VESC

Unfortunately I accidentally closed an app so record is split in two, below You can see as wire from motor temp sensor loosened and VESC gave motor overtemp fault, @rpasichnyk nice to see fault codes highlined on telemetry record!

12 Likes

:sunny: Wow, verry nice ride WE !! Cool trail in the vid ! (my app closes automatically or cut automatically doesn’t really know, during the ride … I have between 2 and 3 files per run with some gaps sometimes :thinking: )

1 Like

Thanks @Riako! :pray:t2: As I mentioned this was the easiest part, we rode about 15kms, and it took us 3 hours :smiley: Lots of fun! 8,4 Ah was used, VESC SIX is the ultimate eMTB motor controller, the best on the market, so smooth, so powerful! Benjamin did one hell of a job on this, I’m glad I gave VESC one more chance.

1 Like

what pulleys did you use @squad

There are no pulleys used on this build, I guess You meant sprockets :wink:

60T #25H pitch scooter ones on drive wheels, motors use 14T, you can find those on eBay.

To use those scooter sprockets you have to drill and tap holes for mounting screws in them.

You have the templates for your mount?

Do You have workshop with enough tooling to make those Yourself? I only have simple sketches that are useless unless one knows what they’re doing.

my friend has a workshop of lathes so he could allude me

Small update, kingpin bushings on my trampa wore off and I had to replace them, I decided to turn new ones on my lathe out of phosphor bronze, it’s self lubricating material which in my opinion should outperform plastic bushings. They’re press fitted into trucks and hole for kingpin is exactly 8mm, I used reamer.

14 Likes