Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells

i will try it as is and see if i get any more range with it if not i’ll order some more batteries and try and set them on the board so they fit .also i’m using a 270kv alien power system motor is there a problem with the high kv?

No I have that on two builds totally fine for flats a low grade inclines…

At 6s you should be seeing abt a mile per 1000mah

So a simple 6s 5000mah should get you over 5miles and at 270kv you should be able to hit 20mph

I’m not even sure those batteries will work given, they’re fakes. Recycled laptop batteries would probably be a better idea, but even then would require a huge parallel pack.

1 Like

your right there not at all 9900mah

It’s not just that they’re not 9900mah, but their discharge rate may be too low for esk8 and can potentially blow up or leak.

I personally would not mix lipos with Li-ions

2 Likes

Check the thread about mixing li ion and lipo (best of both worlds) Lipos are probably going to give you the most current as laptop cells are quite weak in terms of max current they can deliver.

You would need quite a huge pack for laptop grade li ion cells to offer somewhat good punch. Ebike builders put around 20cells in parallel to make for a 20A or so discharge.

– Id say you need at least 20A to get something decentu. Try to find some info on how to determine discharge rate of batteries, then you will find out how much would be the optimum. Also consider that lipo ratings usually seem to be overrated, so it is wise to downgrade it - eg 25c as 15c or so

Besides that - nice to see someone experimenting. Id say you need at lesst 5cells parallel, so 30cells, to get somewhat mild results. Could work way better if you do make it possible to run them in parallel / in conjuction with lipos. This would make you one of the first ones who have done it, as I have not seen anyone here who have done it before. Only speculation on how it might work or how it should be done.

I am familiar with that thread which is based on opinions of non experts. I disagree with them and I stand by my belief that you don’t mix batteries of different chemistry.

6 Likes

thanks for your input,in fact i have run them together and nothing over heated, i ran them in parallel on just 11 volts cos the lipos were 11 volts i got more millage out of them but only about 3 or 4 km, the top speed wasnt anything to write home about but i had great fun on a hot sunny evening here in the sw France.

I know that the general conclusion from that discussion was that it is not very wise nor effective, since the high discharge cells should be in greater number than the low discarge ones and some other key elements.

Although, I would love to see some sort of real life proof or evidence on how bad is it really.

There was a similar topic about uneven kv motors (with varying opinions about it)… and my conclusion is that while you have not tried it personally or seen some evidence, speculation and opinions vary greatly upon is it effective or not and what could happen.

Well, 3-4 km looks like a vast improvement for me!

Can you tell the exact combo of your batteries?

How much in parallel do you have the li ions and how much lipos? And also their capacity of course…

Do you have ‘‘smart charger’’? How do you charge your lipo / li ion cells? The charger should show how much AH (or mAh) it puts out - charges into the cells.

Besides - perhaps this should be moved to another topic, are there any moderators here?

i had the two lipo’s in parallel they are 5000mah each 10c discharge and i had three sets of nine li ion i think you would call that 3s 9p giving me 11 volts @ 00473mah also, so in fact i had 3x11volts going through my esc all charged separately with a turnigy smart charger, my problem now will be that the charger wont be adequate and i will have to buy another for charging @22volts

If those are HG2s like they look they shouldnt be 4500mah but 3000mah… I’m new to this forum but I use 18650s every day for vaping, I could be wrong however because there are more than one kind of brown battery out there of that I’m sure… But I would promise you if you ever find a battery that is 4500mah that it is a low amp rated battery less than 10A and should not be used for high amp applications! I wouldn’t risk using the batteries you tested… … But what do I know? Can you tell me where I could post questions as a first day member regarding compatibility of parts I’ve been researching? I have little to no knowledge regarding longboard modification or rc cars so adding a motor to my board is intimidating when the parts I must order are a large fraction of a paycheck before I’ve even considered cost of my enclosure build etc…

I would suggest that you start reading at the beginning of this thread.

Then go to this catagory and check out all the Esk8 builds to get some ideas for your first Esk8 build.

@Namasaki
Yes I indeed was confused from not reading from the beginning of the post. Also what I said may have been irrelevant in the first place, batteries in parallel for the pack have the rating of the battery used and the number that are parallel (i.e. a 20a battery in 12s4p 20a×4= 80a for the entire pack) I was really tired I stayed up 48+ hours researching esk8 lol I apologize. Thank you for your advice, sometime after I commented here the site allowed me to make my first post and a few members were able to confirm that I was going in the right direction and alert me that one of the parts I’d chosen is out of manufacture and suggest an alternative. Thank you for your understanding of my conjecture and have a blessed new year!!!

1 Like

If the out of production part your speaking of is the Bestech 10s HCX-D223V1, there is an update on that situation here:

Thank @Namasaki. Does anyone know what F1-F7 stands for in the new version? In the updated version its not in manual and im unsure if f1-f6 is still the same order as older version? Thx

Yep - it kinda ‘falls’ out if you use it like to cut-melt plastic or something. It also broke in two on me so I duct-taped it together

Continuing the discussion from Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells:

HI all, those battery’s were crap cheep copies ,I have changed my battery setup for Samsung 30Q
Li ions 8s 2p X2 just tried it and was skating for at least an hour, the built in voltmeter was showing full up to the end when I checked them they were at 25 volts a bit low even for li ions maybe too low .what’s the lowest in can go with them …hope I haven’t f####ed them.next time I’ll set the esc at 26v

Ya, unfortunately the Basens turned out to be a bust. Very saggy. I just went back to Lipos and using them still.