Can I charge through this loop key port?

As I drew, the loop key should be before the vesc that you won’t charge the batteries and have the vesc on. And yes, you cant use the same port for both.

Yes that is where it should be, but if he wants it between the packs he can do so.

Eh I’d rather not have to also plug in the loop key in order to charge

Then he must have the vesc on when he charges. Not a good idea.

With the vesc in parallel with the battery while charging, it would turn on anyway. I think you mean with the loop key plugged in?

My battery uses a bms and when I plug it in it turns everything on. I haven’t had an issue with the vesc being on while charging.

The loop key must be in if you don’t change it’s place therefore the vesc will be on.

Go with how I drew it and save you the trouble.

1 Like

Then you actually have the option to charge and pull current at the same time from the battery? Not recommended.

I don’t know exactly how it’s wired up. Its from TB, I’m pretty sure all their packs are like that.

Just run the charge port Before the loopkey

I don’t believe it makes a difference. All it will do is take some load off the batteries equivalent to whatever the charge current is. The charger is current-limited, so it won’t hurt the charger, and the current won’t go into the batteries and back out again, it’ll just flow to everything.

Think about laptops or phones or any electronic device with a battery. They quite happily charge while current is being drawn from the battery.

1 Like

@Clonkex -
All those Electronic devices you are talking about has protection and a more sophisticated circuit that is build to do those stuff.

A good explanation can be found here - https://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/39805/can-you-charge-and-use-a-lipo-battery-at-the-same-time

Another issue you will have is the currents. When you charge and discharge simultaneously, the currents are in a different direction. If you charge with 2A and the load(VESC) asks for 10A the battery will provide 8A.