Boss level custom spot welder

I think ‘The Beast from the East’ is taking care of the temperature right now, so any high temps are not ambiant but rather settings. I think I set the temp ceiling to a more conservative figure like 40deg…one of @rojitor’s videos

1 Like

33c after 186 welds in a row.

10 Likes

I luv that doomsday missile launcher blue switch

1 Like

I just got the spot welder, but I am running into an issue with it - every time I try to spot weld, the device restarts without sufficiently welding 0.15T pure ni. @rojitor have you run into this? @aulakiria?

Another member had that problem time ago due to low discharge rate. What lipo are you using? Are you using parallel or just one lipo? C?

I double checked what I was using; my roommate lent me a 12v 3s, didn’t notice that it was a 2200 mAH 3c. I went to my local hobby store bought a 12v 3s 5000mAH 35c battery and plugged it in, but the arduino beeped several times in a row while the voltage reader flashed; turns out it was 18% charged, so I figured I’d have to plug the battery into a charger. Currently waiting on it haha.

Yeah. Once that battery fully charges you should be good to go. The one you borrowed from a friend wasn’t going to cut it

So with single layer cells any thoughts on welding the nickel strips sideways to a copper bus bar and just folding it over on top of the P cells. Assuming welding nickel to Cooper goes well. That way each nickel strip can handle the individual battery and the copper bar can handle the P group.

1 Like

Nickel on copper is possible…yet difficult to do and not good quality. I suggest to solder instead. If that is not an option make many welds to leave it as firm as possible. The neodinium trick is always a safe bet too.

nickel on copper

Link doesn’t appear to work for me

just joined to boss spot welder’s club, finally put things together yesterday and was doing test welds today.

i scavenged some cells from an old build and put together a 3s12p pack made with 25r cells. on paper, this pack can output 240a comfortably, almost 400a burst.

i’m finding, however, that the recommended timing isn’t working at all. that is, 4ms for .15 nickel to steel weld isn’t doing anything. i’m about doubling (8ms by 2x) the time to get a solid .15mm nickel to steel weld.

for a .15 nickel to nickel weld, i’m having to up the weld time to 16ms by 4x.

is this the result of my pack not being able to deliver enough amperage? i was sure a 12p pack would suffice.

put a giant heat sink on it so temp hasn’t gone above 28c yet:

1 Like

I was thinking about buying this!!! What battery do you use?

i described in the post above

@thisguyhere those settings seem high. Probably the batteries. I’m using 8000mah lipo and I downed it to 1.3 because it was doing holes at 1.4. I wonder if the nickel strips aren’t letting enough instant amps through.

Also that’s a monster heat sink

yea, that’s what i’m thinking, the liion pack isn’t cutting it (despite having worked on it for like 5 hours).

gonna get a hold of a lipo pack and compare.

heatsink: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVPT0CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@thisguyhere how’d you get that heat sink to sit flush with the bolts in the way?

I picked up two smaller heat sinks with a fan to put on top. But I still haven’t seen much of a temp rise. Only did like 100 welds so far.

drilled out 0.25" wide holes, maybe 0.25" deep.

problem is those screws are buried inside the heat sink.

but the thermal silicone adhesive isn’t permanent and can be cleaned off so it’s still possible to service this thing if need be.

yea i think this bigass heat sink is overkill.

1 Like