Anti-theft options for esk8

You could use a keyed on and off switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002BA3PE/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

1 Like

Id be interested to know how many owners have actually had their boards stolen. Dont think its that big an issue. Its not like they are really going to go very far without you knowing about it. Youll have the remote, so its going to have to be carried which is awkward to run with or skate off which isnt that easy if its pullied.

I have 5 trackrs I have only gotten 2 of them to work for about a week. All of them are dead now and I even replaced the batteries!

Does anyone actually have these and have them work?

I was complaining about this to my friend at work and he was like “Oh I just just tile for my laptop bag. It works great!”. I told him to look on his app and see if its still working. It said his bag was still at home!

I don’t trust these things.

Have you got the trakr disks or like the one on my post. Interested to know if they are any good. Sounds like they arent.

ordered mine, the thin aluminum ones. Will let you all know when they arrive!

I say bag for a couple reasons

1. people can’t see that what is in the bag is a valuable electric skateboard
  2. a bag offfers better protection as individual components cannot be removed
  3. offers weather protection
  4. compatible with any size board/no custom mods required

Someone go make this

2 Likes

Interesting, I have a couple spare tiles so I threw one on my esk8. Never needed to use it but they’ve all worked pretty well so far.

@michaeld33 Can you check its tracking properly. Dont sound reliable though.

Honestly, it’s bluetooth, so you only get connection if you’re close. If you ACTUALLY lose it or get mugged you’re kinda f#@ked. You can report it as lost and you’ll get a location update if somebody with the app goes anywhere near it. I find it nice if I misplace my keys or wallet somewhere.

So it actually only works of your close to. Its not like the iphone finder app that can tell you the locality of it anywhere.

Nope. There is only one tracker I’ve heard that works by cellular.

Whats that one then.

ITraq-- but it wasn’t available to purchase when I heard of it, and didn’t get any startup funding. Also sounds as if it wasn’t very accurate. Sometimes off by a couple blocks. And the location only updates every 10 minutes. Doesn’t sound that good. I’m sure there are other, more reliable options.

:laughing::laughing:

I know the TrackR uses Crowd GPS - and think the Tile does as well. Anyone w/ the app near it will show it on the map. So while not true GPS reporting back by cellular, the other users do “ping” when it’s nearby and helps return a location dot. At least a general area and potentially lets you get enough detail to go near it and set off the little buzzer alarm!

Since i haven’t received it yet here’s their promo video showing this: https://youtu.be/LIMe8cvidGg

No affiliation, not trying to spam, but it does seem like an ideal way to find a “mispalced” esk8 if hidden and folks don’t know to remove it.

1 Like

How do these tracking modules work? Do they have a sim card inside?

http://www.mobilityscootersplus.com/mobility-scooter-anti-theft-alarm.html

or maybe this one could be retrofitted: https://www.essentialaids.com/scooter-anti-theft-alarm.html

1 Like

I think I’ve seen at least 3 members on this forum who have said their eboards got stolen… One was even from a car… (he did not hide the board in car, so it could be seen, I think).

So yeah… you can’t really know when it might happen… so to consider extra measures how to protect the board if you have to leave it somewhere would be a nice idea, I think. Especially, if it is a mountainboard … :smiley:

1 Like

I think an alarm would be good as it would deter soneone trying to run off with it if it pumped out 120 db and would probably be easy to add to eboard. Saw trakr vid and that seemed to work as well if it does ge lost/stolen.

or a built in taser shocker would kill a thief as soon as he grabs the baord

1 Like