2018 Electric Skateboard Convention - #Esk8Con2018

Maybe I will ride there and not change riders and boards and cheat like Onewheel just did, lol

Is this the event Facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/events/260834791028210/

Yeah, that’s the one.

1 Like

I am still unclear whether this event is happening or not…not trying to be pushy, just want to be able to plan the trip since we have a big event on the central coast the weekend before the April 6 date of the Esk8Con2018

3 Likes

Anything happening in NYC? :smiley:

Argh I really want to go - can’t make Friday but maybe Saturday and part of Sunday. 8 hr drive each way assuming minimum traffic for me. That would put me in Vegas at 11:00 PM on Friday in best case scenario.

yo can we move this to mid march (I kid, aware that that’s probably impossible)? I get two and a half weeks off from the 9th to the 25th… and I’m already in LA on the 10th so that’d be easier too.

Alternatively I can make any event in SF

1 Like

anyone tryina carpool from SF?

1 Like

Okay so I’m pretty sure something will be happening.

Will it be a huge convention with a whole array of companies represented? Doesn’t sound like it since the time for planning is getting pretty short. I guess that might have to wait until next year or maybe later this year?

But there sure will be a bunch of eskaters doing group rides and talking tech.

2 Likes

What about other cities like LA?

La or the bay area seem to be the largest populations of eskaters…

2 Likes

If we do it in the bay I can also knock out a bunch of meetings at the same time lol

1 Like

bay area seems like the best place

5 Likes

What’s the status of this thing ? Really interested, also willing to help in planning if there’s any help needed.

Cali seems like a safe choice if this even needs to be able to take off and become annual thing (if we want to prove to sponsors that it’s a good investment) . Sponsor wise maybe we could incooperate some companies outside but relevant to ESK8ing (Samsung , Regular Skateboard companies, Hardware shops, Lyft etc)

Has anyone tried to contact Boosted? They surely have the most pull in the Common ESK8 community and having their name behind anything draws good attention.

2 Likes

ANYBODY INTERESTED IN HAVING THIS IN BAY AREA CALIFORNIA? -I live in Pleasanton, CA, and with the likelihood of this happening in Vegas seeming to dwindle, I’d like to formally propose moving this event to my hometown, as it has a few very important things needed:

1. KEN MERCER SPORTS PARK -this park is closed to cars on Sundays, leaving a 1.5 mile long, straight, flat, and recently paved road open to skaters. This is where I do speed tests for my boards, and I think it would be a great place for a sprint race. I can upload some pictures of that later. There is also a 2.5 mile track that surrounds the park which is relatively peaceful to ride on. DJI_0003-S

2. LOADS OF PARKING LOTS Right around the corner from my house are several office buildings, many of which are closed for either renovation or because companies move out. Especially on a weekend, where nobody is at these buildings either way, these lots become a gold mine for flat loop tracks. commercial1

3. HILLS -Most of Pleasanton is rather flat, however there is a ridge about 3 miles from the park called The Preserve that has huge inclines (I haven’t measured exactly, but I remember watching some poor soul try to take a meepo up the hill, it did even worse than my single drive. They’re pretty damn steep). Great for hill climbing competition, a little less extreme than some of the San Fran roads that @evoheyax deals with, but well paved.

trail-us-california-the-preserve-trail-at-map-17934608-1504473976-300x250-1

1. IRON HORSE TRAIL -Pleasanton is right along the arroyo, which means that there are plenty of curvy offload trails, as well as a 30+ mile adjacent track called the Iron Horse Trail that starts right near my house. This would be great for a range test competition.

980xpark_iron01

7 Likes

i like the bay area, but ideally it would be in SF proper

I fully support this idea. BART goes out to Pleasanton, right? It’s fairly centrally located in the bay area as a whole, and has a lot of open space. I don’t think having the event in San Francisco itself would be a good idea due to the congestion and parking issues. Nowhere to park and nowhere open to safely ride are my main concerns there. I would envision people flying in to San Francisco or Oakland airport, hopping on BART (subway) and taking it directly into Pleasanton. Plus, there should be a lot more and affordable lodging than you would find in San Francisco. Let’s do it!!

2 Likes

Yes, BART goes to Pleasanton. The end of the Pleasanton BART line is actually within walking distance of the Ken Mercer Park!

2 Likes

@Michaelinvegas

What’s the word?

I am not in favor of hijacking this thread but i am in favor of having an event this spring. No matter where it is, RipTide and I will have to travel so all is good. Las Vegas has a lot of strong points as well as locations in Cali. The access that Pleasanton seems to offer is a very strong point. San Francisco, especially GG park:

THE BEST TIME TO BIKE AT GOLDEN GATE PARK While the park is enjoyable at any time of the year and day, one of the most safest and least disruptive times to bike through Golden Gate is on Sundays. This is when the major entrance to the park during the week, which is situated at JFK Drive, is shut down to cars and completely open to pedestrians and bikers. Holidays also see the closing of this main Golden Gate Park auto pathway. During this time, the area swells with an abundance of bikers, walkers, joggers, runners, and roller-bladers. An assortment of major sights about the park is also easily accessible by bike at this time.

On Sundays, the park officially closes John F. Kennedy Drive from Stanyan Street, which leads to the Panhandle, extending all the way to the 20th Avenue area.

4 Likes

I live down the street from GG park in san francisco and parking around my house isn’t bad and can almost always get a spot on my street. I don’t have any housemates anymote except for my girlfriend and we now have a couple of rooms that are pretty empty. If we did meet in GG park I’m happy to host as many people as want to cram in. SF and gg park have a lot to offer visitors. It would be jammed but could fit like 20 people w pads n sleeping bags. Not luxury but convenient n free. The free section on craigslist rocks n I could stock up on couches or mattresses.

4 Likes