Y piece or canbus

I just fried both esk8.de vescs with a bad can connection. Apparently a solder joint went lose and both can chips fried. Had a fast repair by lp-electronics and will use thicker cables in the future, but still using can on all builds.

sounds like split ppm is the less risky option

To be fair split PPM, has the same risk for improper soldering or a loose connection from vibration, but with PPM a connection coming loose usually just means no response on that VESC/motor vs my experience on CAN where my motor went full throttle

1 Like

+

one drop of flux on the pin after you slide it on

+

One drop of solder that the flux wicks right into the connector

=

never have to worry about it coming loose ever

Also with a touch of the iron tip the solder flows and the connector slides right off again, and when you want to put it on again, touch the tip of the iron, it flows, you slide it on again.

/knowledgebomb

Exactly what I did with my connection. The pin the VESC literally broke off after a while.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about. Split ppm comes loose, No big deal Canbus comes loose, Outa control board or fried Vescs. Although,I have never had a ppm wire come loose.

1 Like

LOL For that i donā€™t know man you got some serious vibration issues near that pin.

Yea, unlucky me. Now I got a chaka VESC with a castrated CAN bus :ā€™(

If I try again Iā€™ll probably just remove the header altogether and solder straight to PCB.

thatā€™s how it was done in the Raptors. Thatā€™s how i would do it if was doing my own 4.12s also. I wouldnā€™t waste money on connectors.

That is exactly what I am thinking, I like the traction control of the CAN but I am afraid if something happens (either it comes loose or I mess up the settings) that it will fry both expensive vescs. I also like the simplicity and redundancy of the Y splitter. I think that a Y adaptor with the 5v line cut and maybe the ground cut too for good measure even though it wonā€™t do anything, is the way to go for me.

donā€™t you need the ground line to complete the circuit for the signal?

Nope, I use a single PPM line I soldered onto my servo cable on my other VESC.

2 Likes

man this thread is full of useful info. Iā€™m doing that from now on when i have to split the ppm signal.

1 Like

i would just like to take an additional moment here to say that electrons are fucking weird.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a very quarky statement.

4 Likes

Iv not had the can cable come loose yet and I ride some real bad roads! Might tape it down though or put a drop of high strengh thread locker on it!

i usually also fill the connector space with hot glue after soldering the crimped connectors on. Forgot to mention that.

1 Like

Hey @trampa, will the new software that will soon be available for everyone make it easier to program the dual vesc canbus configuration?

Wizard, 1 minute, job done.

Someone summon me? How can I help you ?

7 Likes