Www.psychotiller.com BLACK FRIDAY Mic Drop

Contact him by pm what was it that you ordered

I did, a long time ago. He got back to me, everything is all good now :slight_smile:

14 Likes

@psychotiller Iā€™ve got the recommended M4 screws and threaded insert nuts for mounting this. Am I to understand that the screw will not press the enclosure sides flat against the deck?

In other words the enclosure will cover the electronics and the screws are just to keep it in place and should be tightened with little torque and used with washers, right?

1 Like

Most people build the components on the bottom of the deck. The enclosure is meant to be protection for the components, not a holder of components.

Use a foam seal around the edge of the enclosure, that makes it pretty water resistant and cushions any rattles or squeaks of the ABS against the deck. You want the screws holding the enclosure o be pretty tight, they will rattle out if not. Or use loctite on them.

5 Likes

You definitely can tighten down the enclosure until it closes the gap all the way around. As @mmaner said, use a foam seal. If you follow my enclosure mount tutorial, you wont have any issues.

7 Likes

I may have missed this tutorial. I came up empty w my searches here and your website.

Link?

Thanks

7 Likes

Search skillz competency:

You > me :dizzy_face:

Thanks!

6 Likes

Thanks @mmaner

Iā€™m using this Foam seal

@psychotiller that post has been my holy grail for mounting solutions lol. So let me explain what Iā€™m saying with the help of some pictures image The side edges are about 6-8 mm raised. I believe it will not sit flat against the deck.

This is a 16mm screw. If I install it there will be a gap between the head of the screw and the deck that is equal to the height of the raised edge.

The only way to avoid that is to tighten the screw but wonā€™t that deform the shape of the enclosure?

Honestly, Iā€™m still waiting on my deck so this is all conjecture at this point.

1 Like

Use rubber washers or automotive fender washers to take the stress off the enclosure. Also, you could find that screw in a smaller length or just saw off whatever extra from the end of it. You shouldnā€™t have a gap between the head and the enclosure nor should you be deforming the enclosure. Find that sweet spot right in between. Good luck!

1 Like

The lowest edge of the enclosure will absolutely seal up to your deck. Cut the foam the same shape as the enclosure. Mount the enclosure over that. The only thing in question is the torque you think you need to use.

1 Like

I used D shaped epdm to seal the enclosure. And you can always sand down the edges of the enclosure

4 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks for being so helpful guys!

Thereā€™s is one more thing I wanted you guysā€™ advice on. I bought these waterproof cable connectors for the cable wires that extend out from the enclosure. Luckily I use the Carvon V4 motors that come with 9 pin connectors so i just have 2 cables for my motor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9I6E3O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see this is for wires coming in and out of holes but this will not work with the enclosure I have as that has a wedge shaped channel for the cables.

My question is how do I now make the board water resistant from here. The foam will make sure that there is no water that can seep in from the sides but what of this opening?

I know I can use silica sealant or something like that but I am looking for a more professional solution that will also allow me to open by enclosure in case I need to.

I just use high density foam at the channel and have had no issues. i suppose you could pot the wires to the shape of the channel?

1 Like

You could silicone the cables going into the enclosure. Some one had shown it on the noob question thread I think it may have been @Andy87

1 Like

I switched my foam from 1/8" to 3/8" after your advice. Can you elaborate on what you mean by ā€œpotting the wireā€? You mean like make a slight notch in the enclosure where the wires exit?

No use potting material like is used inside cheap Chinese escs

Ah. Gotcha. Well thanks everyone. I have everything I need. Iā€™ll post when I setup the deck with this sweet enclosure :slight_smile: