Would forward/backward mounted motors work?

Discussion point:

Would a board with a front of axle mounted motor and a rear of axle mounted motor work? I’m wondering since we’re limited to mainly 6355’s for dual mounted systems. However, if we did a forward/backward hybrid we could fit nice dual 6374’s while keeping the same gearing and c-distance.

Just wondering if anyone’s tried this or if anyone has proof of concept. Discuss!

EDIT: for clarity, I mean both motors on the same axle

It’s usually called a diagonal dual drive and it has been done. The problem with a setup like that is that you will have a harder time getting all the cables and components right but shouldn’t be that big of an issue.

I’m doing this on my build with 2 Tacon Bigfoot 160’s although the 2 mounts have different center distances (60mm and 66mm for the rear mount).

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-yin-yang-arbor-axis-bamboo-caliber-iis-psychotillers-psycho60-psycho66-motor-mounts-dual-tacon-bf-160s-6364-dual-vescs-8s-10ah-8s-7-2ah-83mm-flywheel-clones-36-16-gear-ratio/1895

1 Like

That’s awesome! So I guess it does work. But the more I think about it, the more we put on bigger motors and bigger batteries and bigger hardware, the weight starts increasing and getting too far past the 15lbs sweet spot will be defeating the point of a personal, easy to carry, transportation system. Still glad to know it’s been done!

Well I haven’t tested it yet, I’ve been waiting on my VESC’s from Enertion since late February, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I’m curious on how much it’ll weigh in the end.