World Record for Electronic "Skateboard" Speed

@Hummie’s 200kv hubs have a theoretical speed of 80mph at 12s :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:open_mouth::cold_sweat::scream::dizzy_face::head_bandage::eye::eye: …O

How did you calculate that? Belt drives and gears I get but I’m kind of lost on hub motors, mind educating me? Do you just use a 1:1 ratio basically?

1:1 ratio is what hub motors are

Yea I get that, but there has to be more of an efficiency loss right? There is no way they can actually hit that 1:1 mark…because that would mean 83 mph (using 83 mm wheels).

I don’t know what the efficiency is on hub motors. You are probably right though, they must lose a bit of efficiency.

I imagine it wouldn’t be 100% efficient, but I dont know enough about the topic, especially hub motors. Just as a reference point the theoretically max speed of the Raptor is 45km/hr which is what it actually hits. Though being at full charge probably helps with this.

I THINK but don’t know for sure, that there is a huge efficiency loss with hub motors compared to a belt drive system.

I hit 44ish km/h on my raptor all the time on flats. So the raptor has a high efficiency because it’s a belt drive system. Same is the case with my other belt drive board. I’ve never ridden a hub motor board or have any experience with them, curious to learn more though.

at 80mph there is a TON of air resistance so I would definitely agree it’d be hard to hit 80 with his hubs. Not to mention the urethane will probably literally explode off the rotor can.

1 Like

Just put some steel belts into the urethane mold, like car tires. I’d think that would hold up as long as the urethane doesn’t separate.

And where should that loss be? I immagine belt drive hase more losses caused by friction. But i don’t know?

I know from motorcycles that belt drives do have about an 11% loss on the drivetrain, that why sport bikes still use chains, even though they make more noise and need much more maintnence, they apparently only have a 2% loss on the drivetrain. Shaft drive motorcycles have about a 24% loss.

I wonder if the same numbers would apply to es8’s?, have a board set up with a little chain drive, may gain 9% of power to the wheel compared to a belt? Until it gets dirty anyway.

In general the more moving parts between a motor and a wheel hitting the ground, the greater the drivetrain loss. That’s way tesla basically mounts their motors right on the axle.

And that’s why hubs are best?!

That’s a huge leap in logic.

3 Likes

That made me giggle

1 Like

I actually feel like gear driven motors are better for most people, but in terms of drivetrain efficiency hubs simply have less opportunity for loss.

belts can be very close to the efficiency of chains. Last way longer. Much quieter

http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_drive_systems.htm

hub motors need not be more inefficient and can be more efficient if they have enough power I read. Cut the pulley or gearing system and replace it with copper. So I read on es. The debate still rages

107km unofficial

5 Likes

Jesus. that’s 66 mph… I don’t don’t if I’ll ever have the guts to do those speeds (though my 4wd carvon v2 should be able to get up there). Just finding a place to do those kinds of speeds is hard.