Wire Gauge in Esk8

Thanks @torqueboards I ordered a bag of XT90s to try them out. I like that I can get a simple antispark device built into a single plug, and the soldering looks pretty straight forward.

1 Like

I have been using Deans for years in my R/C projects. Coming from a commercial electrician background where equipment uses awesome fully insulated connectors with screw locking & waterproof options, it is a shame we cannot mineraturize them for our applications. I can appreciate Deans small and simple idiot resistant design. Generally I do not let anyone else work on my projects but it is nice to know that if I loan my project to someone there is only one (right) way to connect things. (Wish Deans made more than one size.)

I like bullet connector designs. There is a little more flexibility with bullet style. Often to insure correct connections I will offset/stager the wire length with bullet connectors which makes connections logical and also prevents large clusters of connectors in one area.

As far as wire I always error on the side of caution and being on the larger side of the average rider things heat up faster under me. Also with age vibration and movement wires or strands can break inside the insulation increasing resistance as well as heat. Starting off more strands in a larger gauge wire will offer a larger reserve should a few go bad over time. Ride and evaluate your particular application often if you discover heat building up in your system replace the problem section with upgraded components till the problem is corrected.

1 Like

Anybody try tinned copper 10 awg? Like this Venom stuff: http://www.venompower.com/collections/soft-silicone-wire/products/venom-10awg-soft-silicone-high-strand-count-wire-red-and-black-1m-3ft " Do not be fooled by competitors claims that pure copper wire is superior. Venom tin coated wire can outlast the competition 10 fold due to its corrosion and oxidation resistant properties. This means the internal resistance of the wire stays low for longer, thereby channeling more power to your RC models, devices, or other…" Hype or Ripe?

Hype. But if it makes you feel better about your config, by all means go for it.

don’t believe the hype.

IS THAT $18 PER METER?

omg!

you can buy 6 meters of real wire for $18

LOL. Just putting it out there. You can get it much cheaper here: http://www.buddyrc.com/black-10awg-silicone-wire.html $1.25/FT But it doesn’t say “Venom” on it. LOL I was reading a few things and came across this article and others like it about tinned copper…

Food for thought…

well that’s a much more reasonable price. I’d consider buying it for that price. although id the plain copper is cheaper id still get that. :stuck_out_tongue:

tin or silver coated copper is nice because it lets solder flow a lot easier and it does hold up from oxidisation a lot better but it is no holy grail that should cost you $20 a meter.

1 Like

Agreed. I guess that “Venom” brand name adds extra mojo to any build! You can get it for $1.25 a foot in that second link I posted. http://www.buddyrc.com/black-10awg-silicone-wire.html Exactly the same stuff!! I guess the issue becomes…Is corrosion on eboard wiring a non-issue or could we benefit from using this wire on our builds? I’m willing to explore all options to get the best possible product.

I would say with outdoor use it would be nice to have

I guess there could be quality differences. The wires on my VESC for example are crazy stiff and doesn’t bend easily (the silicone seems worse). I feel the cables I bought for the rest of the board is higher quality but they were only like 7$ for 4 meters, doubt there are any much better wires.

fucking christ its AudioQuest Diamond cables all over again.

http://hothardware.com/news/10000-ethernet-cable-claims-earth-shattering-advancement-in-audio-fidelity-if-youre-stupid-enough-to-buy-it

For the record, i have a home recording studio and I have seen with my own eyes that the average person cannot tell the difference between a $100 balanced patch cable and a duct taped section of coat hanger when it comes to analog audio transmission over copper. But this Diamond cable… this took the cake. On so many levels i can’t even count. Ethernet is bidirectional, digital signals do not suffer fidelity loss due to wire characteristics, gold connectors are onlly really useful in permanant installs… a $5 ethernet cable from amazon works just as well… I’ll stop there.

I use high strand count silicone insulated Superworm wire. It takes the punishment of DIY esk8 building and is wonderfully flexible and springy, not to mention that high heat insulation can take a bump from the soldering iron without even leaving a mark in most cases. And its cheap for the high quality it provides.

1 Like

@longhairedboy I remember buying a (4-inch) Monster patch cable once, for $50! The snakeoil sales in music and A/V are always around to rob anyone who hasn’t done their homework!

FUCKING WEAK

LOLOLOLOLOL http://www.coconut-audio.com/xlrinterconnects.html

there are so many of these guys

1 Like

That’s it. I’m going to call the Superworm factory and have them stamp my label on their wire and call it HIGH PERFORMANCE DIAMOND PLATINUM ESK8 POWER CONDUIT WITH DIRECTIONAL ELECTRON PATHWAY TECHNOLOGY and sell it for $1500/ft and after i sell 6 feet of it and pay off my credit cards i’ll build the world’s first 14S skateboard using coat hanger wire.

2 Likes

@delta_19 @longhairedboy that has to be a joke right? No one is paying $8,000 USD for a 1.5 meter USB cable, right? Please tell me it’s a joke!

Shit, this is a joke?

@longhairedboy, I’m gonna have to cancel my order then. :grinning: Now where am I gonna find wire with DEPT (DIRECTIONAL ELECTRON PATHWAY TECHNOLOGY)? Hmmmmm…

I just noticed that RC Buddy has the Red silicone tin coated copper high strand wire at 1.39 a foot but the black silicone tin coated high strand wire at 1.25 per foot.

CLEARLY they understand that the red wire has a 20% increase in performance over the black wire and are charging accordingly.

They sell by the foot and its the same shit i’ve been getting from amazon, i may start buying 10 and 12 awg from them 20 or 30 feet at a time and keep it on spools. I just made some handy wire dispensers but i don’t think they’ll hold quite that much, but i can always keep enough to do jobs with in the dispensers and kep the spools elsewhere.

2 Likes

they also have 10S and 12S balance leads for building packs. I’m definitely adding these guys to my sources list.

1 Like

I’m in!! I’ll take 1000 feet. Before you jack the price up to $2000/FT!! It’s just that steezy!! :sunglasses: