Winter Season Preparations

What about motors? I am running 12mm axles and have not had a problem…Change bearings about once a year and only had one go bad and crunch and grind…Also maybe adding a layer thick grease on outside surfaces of bearing could help or other alternative material little bit of Vaseline.

Im not sure on those. From what I’ve read technically brushless motors shouldn’t be bothered by water. But the stuff in water… @b264 is experienced with wet weather riding prep. He recommends conformal coating (basically clear nail polish) I’ve read some members just rinse out their motors with fresh water after riding through bad weather. And then use compressed air to dry it out.

Figured most understood the layering effect I was a an active US Ski Patroler for a number of years so layer is second nature.

Thats a good idea you can get gallon jugs of DI water for a buck or two…wash down and then rinse with DI water just load up a spray bottle and go at it and then spin them a bit.

2 Likes

I was reading an older thread earlier today actually where a guy took an air filter type net for I think an off-road buggy and found a way to attach it around the Motors so they could still breathe but keep the majority of the debris in water out

I would think the real problem is when they put salt down on the roads…

1 Like

This looks interesting I will print one to try. It is designed for 6374

This one seems like overkill…

The BLDC motors are fine with water. The bearings inside them don’t like water, but generally will still work. It’s the sensors… the sensors… If you didn’t seal the sensor assembly with conformal coating or something else, they will fail…

If you’re not using sensors, then it’s generally just going to be fine.

3 Likes

You really should do a “how to thread” for waterproofing / water resistant.

1 Like

How to waterproof your esk8: Ride them every day and each time one breaks, take it apart and fix it so it doesn’t break that way again. Repeat 100 times. TrollFace%20(1)

Seriously though, get these two on the left:

20181002_215000

Put it anywhere you don’t want water. Play with them first on some pieces of trash to see the difference between the two. Only use the acrylic one on heatsinks.

2 Likes

Winter? I just change from Birkenstock’s to vans skate shoes. If it gets seriously cold like 10c I might put on long pants and bmx gloves.

Also it does not rain much in winter which is nice. Winter is short though about two months. :joy:

1 Like

Well that would be nice however I get a lot more winter and some really cold temps.

That made my day :laughing:

1 Like

Did I see 10 degrees…lol…im already riding those temps -2 mornings and high of 6. and we already got snow last week…had a couple inch one morning…-20 to -30 is the norm for the great white North Pole of Canada …snosk8 time boys behind the old Polaris( pull your ass off) Indy xcr

1 Like

Yeah winter is pretty bad here in Miami Florida it’s 75 degrees out right now and it won’t rain much till next summer so it’s gonna force me to ride more often. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My snowbird father is in Tampa FL I’ll be there couple times for a de thaw that’s for sure…

1 Like

Tampa has a nice Esk8 scene. LHB is in Orlando hit him up when your there he’s always down for a group ride.

1 Like

Thank you so much for that information. That is great to hear. I might have too swing by and meet the LHB the eskate legend of Florida…