Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

I’m guilty of it as well, I leave a board at the office for coffee and lunch runs once or twice a week, never wear a helmet also because of low speed, short distance, etc…I think I’ll pick up a cheap backup to leave at the office as well.

1 Like

I’ve had several incidents when I was younger where if I hadn’t been wearing a helmet, I’d be dead. Just…I really should have worn pads too. Always wear a helmet and protective gear, PERIOD!

Never leave home without it.

6 Likes

Hi, besides the lower position you can see that no effort is done to stop rolling. This way the movement will dissipate horizontally instead of knocking hard on the ground.

Joined the club

2 Likes

@RunPlayBack Hey Rik, Tomorrow I will have the last parts I need to complete my first board. I just wanted to let you know what an impact this thread and your overall presence in this community has made on me. I was originally thinking “oh yeah I need a helmet and pads” but was just casually going about my build, I have a bike helmet I will wear but I had no urgency to get the gear I really need.

Today I ordered a FF helmet, knee, elbow, and wrist pads, I will never step on the board without them, and no one will ever ride my board without them.

I’m 23 and when I think about all I have yet to do in life, I wont let one moment of fun change that forever, just because I didn’t take a minute to put on the correct gear.

Thank you so much for making an effort to help everyone realize how important this is.

5 Likes

Thanks for the comments, it means a lot. You’re right, life is too valuable to throw it all away over safety gear. It still bums me out thinking about that day, it’s really not something I’ll ever get over. Stay safe out there and happy riding!

2 Likes

My new helmet, super neon color so I am easily spotted plus a back light for the night. I payed 45€ for it, Name is TSG Status. Stay visible! https://www.titus.de/product-images/details/TSG/Helm/Status-Solid-Color_869708.jpg

3 Likes

my cousin was bombing a hill through the woods on a longboard without a helmet and fell off. He fell back and hit his head on the pavement then rolled into the grass on the side of path. he died at 16. If he had been wearing his helmet he would be alive today.

please wear your helmet.

6 Likes
1 Like

Interesting, but how does it stay on your head? I don’t see any straps.

1 Like

Screws?!?:grin:

Yea I was thinking grub screws and you need to file a flat spot :grin:

3 Likes

Loctite 648 - it´s the shit :monkey:

2 Likes

TLDR: no helmet

2 Likes

Helmet saved my life…was running fast at night with one of our dogs and what I thought was a shadow was actually a large Palm frond…board stopped I continued forward into a shoulder roll…hit helmet pretty hard and tore a ligament in shoulder…mri tomorrow to see if I need surgery or just PT…but it hurts like a bitch…

Shoulda seen the look on dogs face…daddy get the fuk up and let’s go…this is my time to run!..

8 Likes

@Crushkrew Ouch! Glad you’re alright and a great reminder for everyone to always hear a helmet even if it’s just a casual ride!

1 Like

Feel better man, thank you for sharing.

1 Like

In addition to a helmet, I also got this tough shirt https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-true-romance-womens-armored-moto-shirt And these gloves https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-anthem-stealth-gloves Won’t really protect from breaks but will save me from road rash. I’ve always hated helmets. But this thread inspired me.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Did not have any protective gear before, now ordering.