Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

Yeah, the only thing is that long boarding helmets are expensive and regular skateboard helmets arent as protective. It’s the best protection for that price, but I see what you mean.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, even with my TSG on, I don’t really push the limits. I’m extra careful probably because I don’t want to damage a $250 helmet. Not a bad thing.

4 Likes

Are the TSG and red stripe a sticker or is it under the clear coat?

I really like the CF helmet but would like to remove the red from it.

Hoped for a sticker as well, but it is painted and clear coat on top. I kept the helmet anyways.

1 Like

Aww bummer. Still a great looking helmet!

Very agree with the post. Esk8ers please wear a helmet. It actually saved me from injury or even death.

That is a valuable set of values to embrace.

Thanks to @runplayback for turning me on to the Bern brand. I just picked up a barely used Bern “Watts” helmet for $25 on craigslist. I’m really liking everything about this helmet and the name “Bern Watts” is just too perfect for what we do. I especially like the fact that they have a Bluetooth speaker option and easily interchangeable liners for snow/cold conditions or summer/warm conditions.

http://bernunlimited.com/shop/snow/men/watts-809.html

3 Likes

Yep. My favorite helmet for sure. I had no idea that I could add the bluetooth speaker option. Going to get it.

2 Likes

Thank you for writing this post. I saw so many people riding without a helmet on YouTube while I was researching for my first build. I don’t think people realize what kind of danger they’re actually in. Helmet is an absolute necessity for this hobby, I would say pads are really a necessity too. Tarmac is like a giant sheet of sandpaper, you don’t want to be sliding across it at 25 mph… So I bought pads and a Triple Eight Brainsaver helmet (the certified version). Thanks again.

1 Like

Well, not exactly about esk8, but about safety and protective gear in general. I thought it worths sharing. Stay Safe

5 Likes

Your hands are super important. Did this on super bowl Sunday. If I would have just worn my hillbilly gloves I sure I wouldnt be nursing this broken thumb. I’m left handed too. Lesson learned, wear all my gear…

1 Like

Ending up getting this Bell Sanction brand new on ebay for $50. Although I have the TSG Pass I was looking for another fullface that was a little more suited for both ESK8 and ebiking.

5 Likes

Muir skate online has two Predator DH6 full face helmets on sale for $209.95. I just ordered the red w/white racing stripes helmet last night! You can probably get them cheaper on ebay, but not amazon. https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/fullface%20helmets/70306/predator-dh6-matte-yellow-w-white-stripes-full-face-downhill-helmet https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/fullface%20helmets/70299/predator-dh6-brazil-full-face-downhill-helmet

1 Like

Just got my DH6 Predator today. Wearing a helmet is going to take some getting used to, but I get how necessary it is. Now I just need my Mach 1 to arrive. Until then I will have to get used to this with my penny.

5 Likes

Would u have the Link for that Helmet ?

https://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/helmets/sanction-18

1 Like

Just to reiterate importance of a helmet.

My friend just took a tumble, not going overly quick probably 15mph, head hit road hard, hip and side scraped raw, possible fractured wrist.

Lid took impact, without it he’d have been in a real state.

He does not always wear a helmet for short runs - playing the odds - Not going far, not going fast etc

We were only 100m into the ride.

Thankfully, this is not an ‘if only’ post.

I only started wearing a helmet after a crash, so can’t preach, just urge persons that have not had a bad fall to take a pragmatic approach, learn from others and don’t ride without a helmet.

5 Likes

Even cheap ikea helmets 30e i have 1 in the back of the car just in case i forget my main 1

4 Likes

yeah, yesterday I had a massive fall at speed when filming my AT video on the woods, I can only thank my helmet and body protection. Probably save me going to the hospital !

2 Likes