Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

Which is why when I crashed my bike last year going 20ish I just held on and tipped (then slid). You definitely don’t want to put your arms out straight when you fall.

This is a pretty basic video but talks about this stuff. They don’t really cover the importance of helmets though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DHundbrub8iQ&ved=0ahUKEwi6tZPJkMnPAhUK3GMKHT6sDc4QtwIIJzAA&usg=AFQjCNHT0fhEgjjc-iQiW38ONf2ELlgiag

1 Like

Ya, I’ve been seeing a lot of kids on boosted lately without helmet. This one kid was even worst, he had headphones on the whole time, really infuriates me when they take chances like that…I guess I’m getting old :unamused:

That video is educational for new riders but not enough since we have motors that generates momentum. That’s why I’ve been telling esk8er to use arms and knee&shin pads. You really look goofy with all that armor protections but I really dislike getting hurt on asphalt and going to work with scars.

Yea, I picked up some pads and wore them my first few rides while getting used to it. Now I wear them sometimes. Its hard to force myself to put them on when I’m only commuting 2 miles and then have to walk into work with them on. Never without a helmet though. I do wear headphones but I mostly ride on isolated bike paths and make sure I can hear my fingers snap through the music. I hate trying to pass someone and you can see their headphones and you know they don’t hear you yelling “ON YOUR LEFT”. Not to worry about being passed on my board - hasn’t happened yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup I’m sure there’s a much shorter version in there and typically I’m really good at cutting out all the fat on most of my documentary work. It’s tough with this one because it’s so personal. I’ll probably revisit another cut at some point.

2 Likes

Or a simple infographic on what injuries can happen would be great… I do respect all the emotional / intense background behind watching the documentary… though I think it would be great to just show and give an impression on what traumas / injuries can happen … and how unpredictable they may be…

Sort of like - Hey guys! Please do wear your helmet, if you’re riding at more than 10mph / 15km/h !

I stumbled across this TED talk, some interesting concussion related studies going on, some of you might be interested.

5 Likes

Thanks Jason this was great. It will be interesting to see the technology to prevent concussions that will develop in the next 5 years.

when he started talking about that mouth guard my draw dropped, i thought they had somehow developed a mouth gaurd that could prevent head injury…

1 Like

Here is some info on mips technology:

What is needed is to safely and quickly decelerate the head so the brain (which is like a water balloon) does not slam against the cranial cavity and cause damage. If the force (fall) can be deflected (a percent of force re-directed) by moving the helmet within the helmet, the result is less transfer of force to the cranial cavity.

1 Like

Finally decided which helmet to get. You guys inspired me and after my (minor) crash a few weeks ago, even the wife okayed it. Looking forward to see this beauty arrive!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLV4K9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Lol u had to ask ur wife if u can buy a helmet?! :sob::joy::sob::joy:

5 Likes

I did. No shame. Keeps everyone happy :couple_with_heart: It was much easier to convince her of the helmet than the board itself :money_mouth:

2 Likes

Yea I may have “accidentally” forgot to mention the cost of protective gear when convincing my wife.

5 Likes

Its cheaper than a funeral

4 Likes

happy wife… happy life!

2 Likes

Hi guys, just want to share some wounds I earned yesterday.:poop: I was traveling back home after work and made a decision to go to supermarket for some food. So picked up a route I’ve never made before which was pretty rough due to heavy traffic and tons of industrial trucks pass by.

I should have got on the pedestrian path but I thought I was bit excited because the weekend was coming and yesterday was such a wonderful weather also few local events were held (zombie walk), anyway I stayed on bike lane for almost all time.

Then, less than 30m to the supermarket, I hit the fastest speed I’ve ever had. Faster than 50km/hr, thanks to the tailwind :rolling_eyes:. All of a sudden I was launched from my board and landed on the rough, solid, merciless asphalt and slided for 10m long. Probably because there had a patch or a giant hole on the ground. Wasn’t even a speed wobble lol. :joy:

Only had my 30 bucks half-face helmet on, short sleeve working shirts and most importantly : NO GLOVES. Well, you can tell by these pictures. I almost fainted when I was taking a shower, not to mention gave my wounds clean-up. SO HURT! But hey at least I still keep my nose and forehead although my glasses was wasted and got a bruise jaw.

So, everybody, get yourself fully geared then twist the throttle! Otherwise you could be worse than me, I was lucky didn’t get run over by cars and my board kept at the side of the road so I can still having fun with it in future…:scream:

Ordered knee guards , body armor and gloves this morning.

13 Likes

Ouch. Why do people always buy gear AFTER they fall. Time to clean and dress your wounds.

To help with your healing, you will need to use antibiotic ointments to ensure your area doesn’t get infected. Use saline washes to clean it often. Do daily dressing changes for the first few days.

Switch to tegaderm dressings in a couple of days. There may be fluid build up, but you can replace them if it gets to be too much.

For optimal wound healing make sure it is clear of infection, and moist.

3 Likes

Thanks for your advice bro. Going to have artificial skin in two days, just have to get rid of bleeding problem first. Hope I won’t get infection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002DMANU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1476594931&sr=8-1&keywords=duoderm&pi=SY200_QL40

Great stuff for road rash. Good luck healing, man!

1 Like

Holy mother of god, this brings back some chilling bad memories of me getting hurt. There’s gonna be some scars dude. And it’s gonna hurt going to bed with that. My suggestion is to get liquid bandaid, it’s gonna hurt a lot for the first 30 seconds but then you’ll be protected from water and everything else afterward. Gotta gear up!

1 Like