Why has this industry been so overpriced for so long?

So right know we are discussing bussines pratices in general… but do you have any numbers to back up your claim??

Swift dodge there, just love slinging mud when you’re faced with facts.

What facts do you have???!??!?!? You literally just keep saying “do you understand the scale?”

I’m hitting my boiling point here.

2 Likes

no, YOU have no numbers. You don’t know the scales, so YOU can’t argue about “economics of scale”.

Not really my friend you are just flat out refusing to understand a basic concept and I can’t be bothered.

2 Likes

It looks like most of the important stuff has already been said, so I’d like to make some observations:

1. While @davewood1982 's wheel example isn’t one I’ve ever seen, I do think that the overall question is valid. If anyone has concrete examples (with evidence!) let’s see them, compare and debate.
  2. I’m pretty sure that most of this stuff is covered in @onloop 's false economy article: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/are-diy-electric-skateboards-cheaper-the-false-economy/165? source_topic_id=215
  3. People are always finding new ways to make things on their own for cheaper, and usually then someone finds a way to do it better, and offer it to the community. A year ago we didn’t have angled risers, remotes with telemetry, an open source 3D printed gear drive(!!). Now we have all that and more, you can either make it yourself, buy a kit, or a ready to use one. Your choice.
  4. Since most everyone here built their ride from scratch rather than buying, I think “expensive” is a little bit subjective here, because it depends on what you want to build and what you’re willing to invest. If you want a dual-motor deluxe offroad machine - well of course it’ll be more expensive than a single-motor commuter board to travel over flat pavement!

Decide what you want and what you’re willing to pay for. Not everyone here buys gear drives and a pair of vesc 6, yet they still manage to create some powerful boards. Some of us 3D print our own enclosures, covers, even pulleys. My first board is using a $30 moose deck I got on ebay, and it works just fine FOR ME. The point is, there’s always prohibitively expensive stuff, mid-range stuff, dirt cheap, and everything in between.

3 Likes

I’m not the one making points, you are here, arguing that they are justified, I haven’t made a single judgement about the market, just pointing peoples glaring holes in their arguments.

1 Like

Dude where in my argument did I need any numbers? And I’m pretty sure @davewood1982 can answer for himself…

2 Likes

no common sense tells me they dont cost anywhere near the price they retail at…

2 Likes

im out of popcorn and my belt drive is broken… sit here watching this without popcorn or risk walking tothe shop and missing the rest… pulling hairs…

6 Likes

Id like to see your evidence.

4 Likes

Because you are constantly driving the “economics of scale” point, which requires the scale to make, which you don’t have.

1 Like

It’s true, he doesn’t have any. But it doesn’t prove the opposite.

1 Like

I’m not… I’m just trying to make a clear differenciation between overpriced and economics of sale… and that one is a proven theory and the other one just a word…

2 Likes

I guess, at the end of the day, you can’t argue with stupid. Stupid always wins.

3 Likes

Yeah, but why is that important? He made a hypothesis based on zero information. He actually cited common sense as why ‘knows’ something. That certainly doesn’t prove the hypothesis. I can say for a fact that ABEC does NOT make a massive profit on flywheels, @davewood1982 “knows” it though despite the complete lack of evidence…

2 Likes

Theory* (I’m not making a low blow, I make misspellings often too) But your point about economics of scale is just a phrase until you add proper values, which you cannot.

1 Like

You don’t need actually numbers to understand the statement that, the market and production of esk8 parts it smaller than that of other products.

4 Likes

How can you say for a fact? You are now making hypothesis based on zero information, or if you have, you aren’t offering it.

1 Like

229 million TVs sold last year

probably 290,000 thousand electric skateboards

do the math, I don’t know how to explain this to you otherwise.

4 Likes