Why do people endorse inserts over regular skate hardware when mounting enclosures?

I am the guy on the back of the moped…

@sayekim our good friend @Moros explained it perfectly. However if your longer screw fails to compress, put some washers on to get the compression you need :wink:

Also I was originally responding to this context I forgot to quote

1 Like

I purchased this kit from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-460-Pcs-Button-Socket-Assortment/dp/B06ZYM915F/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1538098754&sr=8-41&keywords=m4+hex+screws

Costs a total of $14.99

1 Like

That is not the problem, let me illustrate what issue is.

Lets assume () is the gasket and |||| is the board, ---- is the bolt.

Case 1: bolt reaches the threads, but bottoms out. ------ ( )|||| Case 2: bolt never reaches the threads, very hard to put on. — ( )|||| Case 3: through bolt, i can engage the threads no problem. {}--------- ( )||||

See why this is an issue that can’t be solved by adding washers? The problem is being able to get the threads started without needing to use a clamp, or not having enough pressure on the gasket.

Of crouse if you have a gasket that bareley compresses then its not an issue. I use foam mats which compress at least 5:1, and that’s why using a through bolt works for me.

So you want me to carry an extra set of bolts for when i need to open my enclosure? I’d rather not. Through bolts are simpler for me.

Has anyone ever experimented with these? https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=6070

those screws I do not believe are meant to be taken out

On the contrary i believe. they are meant as an alternative for car body panels in order to allow them to be quickly and easily removed

I stand corrected I’m not sure if they would work the same as they are not being popped through metal where wood inserts should be screwed in to make the piece grip the wood fibers

1 Like

Understand, but they can be bought with a collar to be used as an insert, as well since they are flanged at the bottom, they have a special drill bit for installation, but could lead to really clean enclosure mounting if we found the right sizes

very true someone will have to test them out

1 Like

@Eboosted @bigben Would one of you guys be interested in experimentign with such?

I have done a bit of experimentation in my head and I can’t get it to work… And for $30-$40 for a set is hard to get over. Open to suggestions though.

2 Likes

@Deckoz have you tried both coarse and fine threaded self-tapping inserts? If so, which do you prefer?

coarse-vs-fine

1 Like

Coarse for softer wood decks, fine for solid wood decks.

I use fine exclusively

5 Likes

Ive used the one on the left with great sucess on 2 builds. Just make sure not to over tighten the inserts, when it bottoms out you need to stop :slight_smile:20181212_103131 20181212_103756 53

6 Likes

I’ve used the coarse, but the hole was slightly too small and caused the insert to twist. It’s in, and solid, but doesn’t look great.

1 Like

I wish I’d read this two days ago, great tip.

Excellent info, thanks guys. The deck I’m using is 8 ply maple. Would coarse or finer inserts be best in this case?

You’d be good with coarse inserts on a maple deck. Only composite or carbon decks need the fine thread inserts.