Why do people endorse inserts over regular skate hardware when mounting enclosures?

Just ordered. This shit looks dope.

@Deckoz you mentioned using a die grinder to shorten the inserts down to 8mm on a vanguard. I just purchased a vanguard and the inserts/screws you recommended tonight. I donā€™t own a die grinder nor know how it works.

Is the process easy to grind down 4 inserts? Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll need to do the same with the screws right? Iā€™m freaking out bc I attempted to place inserts on my first board and letā€™s just say it didnā€™t go smooth.

You also mention a collar. Is that similar to the drill stop? I was planning on measuring 8mm on the drill bit and marking it with tape. Thoughts?

@achatham hey man yep a collar is like a drill stop :slight_smile:

As far as the inserts. Just rub the back on some coarse sandpaper to take the inserts down in size a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

youā€™re awesome.

To clarify would I sand down the head or the threaded part?

1 Like

The threaded end, itā€™s a bit thinner and leaves the head there to limit the depth you are able to screw it in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used threaded inserts on 2 builds, but i always have trouble with the bolt length since i use quite thick rubber gasket to seal the enclosure. Now with drilling through the deck i donā€™t have that issue anymore.

1 Like

You should be able to look at how large the insert is and then add that to the size of the rubber gasket and get screws that are slightly larger then that size and you will be fine.

1 Like

The problem is that gaskets are compressible. So basically i either end up with a screw that is a pain in the ass to put in or too long and doesnā€™t seat the gasket tightly enough. Anyways, im ok with skate hardware at the moment.

I have this exact problem. Iā€™m going to go hardware on my next build to combat this

If itā€™s a weatherstripping gasket the package should tell you how much it compresses too you could also use plastic washers to adjust for the height. Usually itā€™s between 1/2ā€-3/4ā€

Just a random tip for those dealing with screw height.

Order the screw length you need, as well as a hand full of over long screws. Screw the over long screws into a handful of holes to compress the gasket, and the remainder of holes put your correct screw size in. Once all screws are in, remove the overlong screws for shorter screws. :wink:

6 Likes

Ehm what? I donā€™t get it. What does this/how does this help what?

What?

Aesthetics and practicality Iā€™d sayā€¦

Couple of reasons:

1. Less hardware on top of board to deal with - Not a big deal but does enter into ride stance.
  2. The aluminum anodized seating washers look so clean and provide good support to enclosure.
  3. Just cool and nice inexpensive upgrade if your desire is a clean stealth look.

Kevin

no no guys iā€™m pretty sure he saying he doesnā€™t get what @Deckoz was saying

1 Like

Yes. I honestly donā€™t understand what he is saying and what it helps. It doesnā€™t make sense to me. I feel like Iā€™m missing some vital information why you need longer screws for some holes to compress the gasket and some you use the exact length screws and then unscrew the tooā€¦ aargh what?

@Deckoz Can you dumb it down for me I guess?

How does this help with screw height I donā€™t get it? If this helps with screw height how do I order the screw length that I need before theā€¦ aargh?! What? :disappointed:

What he is saying is if you have a gasket under your enclosure it increases the length of the bolt you will need to insert before it can grip on your threaded inserts in the deck.

So insert a couple of longer than needed screws around the enclosure and tighten it down to compress the gasket so it now sits tight. Now the extra space is compressed out of the gasket you can screw the actual size you need in the remaining holes, remove the original longer screws and replace them with the right size too.

9 Likes

I donā€™t think you can get any more dumbed down than that.

1 Like

V1_CR0%2C45%2C480%2C270_AL_UX477_CR0%2C0%2C477%2C268_AL

If I use longer screws nothing will be compressed since Iā€™m using longer screws. It doesnā€™t start to compress untill it tightens against the enclosure.

I guess the aahh moment will come when I see it?

Wait a minute, he is talking about when you donā€™t use inserts? Is that it because then it makes sense when the nut tightens it and not the bolt or screw.