Why are sensored setups ignored?

You obviously didn’t read the raptor thread, most people were complaining the acceleration was too strong.

what voltage? wheel size? pulley teeth (m&w)? Motor KV?

I did read the raptor thread. Tried those settings to no avail. Maybe i’ll take another look…

what voltage? 33.6 - 8s wheel size? 90mm pulley teeth (m&w)? none, Hub Motor Motor KV? 149kv

I just ordered 2 150a sensored ESC’s capable of 2-12s, thanks to “Flier electronics”. Really hard to find.

what hub motor are you using?

I think it’s more a problem of you know what hobby wing and castle was capable of @6s and 8s Matt. Everyone else went to the Vesc from alien, hk, flier, and fvt. And those pretty much suck in comparison

1 Like

Carvon single.

I hate to say it, but, good luck with the Flier ESC’s. I’ve had several of those die for no reason.

2 Likes

You said you had a geared setup. That’s what I was referring to.

No more geared VESC set-up. It was a 295kv 6s, 20t motor, 36t on 83mm wheels.

in your geared system your reduction is very minimal, your KV is high, so this system would not be great for low-speed torque. it may explain the sluggish start.

also the 149kv hubs are similar, not so great for low-speed torque.

Well that sucks lol, I’m crossing my fingers…

True, but in both these set-ups the car ESC has done exactly what I wanted/expected. Especially when sensored, and at only 6s. I’m still going to invest time in the VESC, but I will always have my back up ESC’s. I’m really anxious to see how the VESC acts when sensored. :smile_cat:

Me too… Sensored VESC should be best of both worlds.

All this talk about start up torque. Why can’t people kick?

3 Likes

Same reason we use eboards in the first place! We don’t kick while we ride and now we don’t have to when we start up. It’s my preference to have good torque always

2 Likes

Yeah i get it. But like its my instinctive reaction to just give it that one push as i get on the board anyway. Its super awkward to just stand on the board and not kick.

2 Likes

I know right? next people will want eboards that can move around robotically without them standing on it at all… go get me a coffee eboard!

for me this entire scene is about enhancing traditional skateboards so that you can ride up hills and cover vast distances in rapid time with little effort on a super efficient lightweight mode of transport.

ALL THESE FANCY THINGS LIKE

• starting from stationary position on incline without lifting a finger (or foot)
  • riding at incredibly slow speeds so you can look cool cruising at the beach. (use a normal skateboard)
  • brakes that somehow know not to launch you from the deck when you squeeze too hard. (don’t ride so fast, or learn how to use the brakes properly)
  • Advanced systems that somehow know to correct all your mistakes and prevent you from wiping yourself out. (use your car)

I think people need to stop & consider that the modern eboard is literally 3 years old… It’s a fucking baby in terms of its development…

all this fancy shit only exists because boosted boards raised a massive amount of money and paid engineers & spent 12 months to make it all specifically for their product.

Lets all just be happy we now have some half decent parts that we can make eboards with… when I started building eboards in my garage 3 years ago everything came from the hobby shop, or cost triple the price it currently does.

so lets just enjoy what we have…

6 Likes

Well youre thinking about when you first start up and hop on your board, yea i agree it is awkward to just stand on a hover away. But what about when youre stuck behind a group of slow walking people or you need to come to a almost complete stop but not totally? no reason to kick with extra start up torque. You can just accelerate at whatever speed you need.

My mentality is not to impress you guys at all. I am here to get inspired and build my personal board to the best of my ability and use all the resources I can afford and understand how to implement. That being said, if adding sensors to a board is ‘fancy’ (its only a 1 plug) then the vesc is ‘fancy’ too. I still use old shitty fvt esc’s because its what i can afford and what im comfortable using.

Im enjoying what i have with what i can do. @onloop

1 Like

I just don’t think sensors are required.

have a look at some of my videos:

In this video, at 2m 7s, I start from stationary up a hill, no sensors.

in this video, I lift my foot onto the board and accelerate at full speed, no sensors.

this video, come to near stop & start again flawlessly, no sensors.

Ive rode for a year without sensors, I completely agree they are not required whatsoever. BUT the fact is that many of the improvements our community makes to our boards are not required. The beauty of this hobby (as any DIY) is that it leaves many topics for customization. No one is riding my board but me, and if i purchased motors that have sensors built in, and my ESC happens to have a sensor port i’m not leaving the wire dangling, I’m going to use the sensors.

Maybe demand will change in the future once people try to use sensors on their boards. Sure maybe its a ‘luxury’ but an ELECTRIC skateboard is already a luxury.

all in all, who gives a fuck. lol

the OP does, he wanted to know why they get “ignored”

the simple answer is because they don’t do enough to make them worthwhile. People are always crying that things are too expensive… i can make R-SPEC motors with sensors now, but will anyone pay an extra $20? I’m not sure they will.

in the future this might change.