What esc to use?

so u can say that a esc designed fot a quadcopter may work for a electric skateboard?

i canā€™t say that, no. In fact i probably wouldnā€™t even try it. quadcopters donā€™t have brakes or reverse as far as I know, and their motors are small compared to esk8s so who knows if they can even handle the amps.

Guys, Could some-one please help me out for a sec.

I have this ESC laying around, its a badass ESC, super solid and reliable http://rctimer.com/download/HW-SM013_PL100A-HV-en.pdf

And i would like to use it as an eboard ESC. But it actually isnt a car ESC(brake mode and stuff included) , but a HELI ESCā€¦ with flight modes

First i thought i wasnt able to use it, and have to buy a new one :-(, but when reading the manual, i can set it to have a brake mode?? Correct?

And i can set the flight mode as ā€˜HELI GOVERNOR OFFā€™ and then it will have a straight throttle curve (check the throtthle curves in the manual pleaseā€¦), this is what an eboard ESC would offer me to right?? Or wil it just have a forward and reverse with that curve?

is setting forward and brake mode possible? (no reverse, straight throttle line,ā€¦) Please help me out, i know a lot about building and electricity but nothing about programming ESCā€™s.

Looking forward to answers from you guys!!!

Have you had any luck finding out if that ESC will work? I have two of the same one and would like to use them on my dual drive build.

Oh yes you can. There are countless posts on here regarding blown vescs and Iā€™ve first hand experience with two blowing up for no apparent reason.

If you donā€™t know electronics well and donā€™t like tweaking settings then the vesc can be a very frustrating and expensive experience.

Just take a look at the posts for vesc drv failures alone.

Ok so according to all your geeking out the VESC is the way to go for a skateboard. But whatā€™s up with the seemingly low continuous max current? If it can only handle 50A continuous how is it going to manage powering my 90A max motor? Is there something Iā€™m missing in the way it handles power? Otherwise it seems rather underwhelmingā€¦

Your motor will never pull 90A continious, unless you weight 500 pounds and tries to Go up a 30 degrees hill. Most people draw around 10Ā± amps in average, depending on weight and riding style

2 Likes

hey man whatā€™re you trying to say? iā€™m 608lbs and climb 95 degree hills daily with a vesc without problems. lol

but yea, you will never even get close to 50a continuos. most of our motors are 80-90a too

Iā€™ve been running dual 6354s on VESCā€™s for almost 2 years and very seldom.go over a 15a draw. On my Evo that has dual 6374s Iā€™ve hit 50a a couple if times while accelerating up big hills and carving hardā€¦but itā€™s rare.

1 Like

and continuous and burst are very different. think iā€™ve hit 50a gunning it up a super long hill, but not for more than a few seconds. bottom line is, if your actually pulling 50a continuous your doing something else wrong :wink:

1 Like

The Trampa tutorials make VESC programming pretty simple regardless of the gear you are running. It is pretty basic once you do it a couple times. Just follow the steps and learn it. You will be able to run anything and have wayyy more control over performance.