What do you want in a E-Board/Longboard headlight/taillight?

I think what should really be in a light is a way to run it from 50v to 30v, and a way to tune the focus spot (tilt and spread)

1 Like

Im interested to see how this turns out. I just want to see lights have have a built in current and voltage regulator to run off the boards main battery. I moved away from flashlights due to constantly needing to change out expensive disposable alkaline batteries.

Interesting, so you don’t mind a light being permanently mounted so long as it can be charged with the boards power source.

These lights are rechargeable and removable, and before I began selling them I wouldn’t charge them for 1-2 weeks. I imagine heavier users would benefit from a permanently mounted light running/charging off the boards battery.

I’ll keep that in mind! It might be an optional add on where I can fit a buck converter or USB charge manager into the mount itself with leads running off to be wired into the board. That way those that are interested in never having to remove the light to charge it can just plug it into the boards battery.

Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

I’m running 16W of lights and I’d go for a few more…but the lifetime is already kinda low. Main battery power opens up a lot more options for power

External power is a big plus - Especially if we have onboard controllers that can supply power/turn them on at startup or using a remote.

I always use these lights because they have a nice focus and width balance and are incredibly bright.

Because they have a 3 brightness modes, it means it has a built in current regulator. Leds change brightness based on current. I just hook it up to a stepdown converter that can supply a minimum of 1 amp to prevent overheating of itself.

I should also mention, i like having an adjustable mounting angle (think gopro mount) so i can change it for different terrain. If i am on roads at speed, i want longthrow. If i am offroad i want to see very clearly what is a few feet in front so i drop the angle down a bit.

2 Likes

Those seem nice! Although I am a bit skeptical of the 12,000 Lumen output! A car typically outputs 2500 Lumens for comparison haha

Are these waterproof and durable? I will not be able to use the existing Blitzu headlights with a dedicated power source as they are rechargeable. I will ultimately be doing a heavily redesigned mount for whatever light I use for a board-powered headlight/taillight.

I can really see the advantage of a board powered light, though! I am seeing options for VESC control of lights popping up and the idea of being able to toggle headlights on/off with your controller and/or a taillight that “brakes” when you brake would be super cool. If you were to mount these to your board similarly to how the current design is mounted, would you prefer the power cable to come out the bottom of the mount (where you could go through the trucks OR through the deck itself by drilling a hole) OR out the back/side/front of the mount where you could route it around the top of the board before going through the deck somewhere else?

Keep the idea’s flowing, I would love to tailor a solution for the community and these are things I have not thought of before so I appreciate the insight.

1 Like

For me the ideal solution would be a bracket that acted like an x protector and clamped with the truck bolts and had the wire run down through that with a gasket to keep it dry. Some form of light bar with 4 - 8 big LEDs like the T6 at half power should be enough

And ideally run it through channel 2 of the remote to control intensity and shut down when the system is off

The lumen output is incorrect of course. Chinese flashlights always have ridiculous claims. They are dust and water resiatant for sure.

The idea of a vesc powered light is cool, but it seems like an extra complexity where as a stepdown converter and power switch is pretty simple.

The power cord is not really an issue for me, i would make it work however it has to.

I have some of these on my car, might consider putting them on the skateboard too. But the price…

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s2-pro-led-spot.asp

1 Like

They are way to expensive. Just go with something cheap. That price is ridiculous

Yeah definitely too expensive for skateboard lights. But I like how small they are with the Lumans they have.

try this, its cheap and extremely powerful. the lumen rating is fake, but they are definitely enough for a longboard

I would love something somewhat modular. It’d be nice to be able to take it off my board and throw it on another without much hassle. Maybe extra mounts? I get the appeal of it running off the battery but yeah. Sometimes the board i wanna ride is dead or being fixed. Would be nice to have the option to somewhat quickly swap to another board.

I’m sick of amazon lights with crappy mounting brackets, make a good one that won’t rattle apart and I’d be happy. Adjustable angle from 0 to -20 would be fab too. I love using my battery pack as a power source.

The cheap lights are actually fine if you pour silicone or glue all over the insides, I got lights that both broke in under a minute (I ride brick with hard wheels) but a coating of hot glue has them stable for over 10 hours of abuse

That’s a great point, as the current design is the light easily snaps into and out of the mount securely so you can move the light from one board to another with a single hand, assuming of course you have a mount installed on each board.

That was one of my primary engineering specifications when I made them the first time around; I wanted to be able to easily charge them and use them in my hand without having to spend more than 5 seconds taking them out of the mount.

If I do a new redesign that gains enough support I would include both the removable (modular) and rechargeable lights as well as a board powered light (that would likely have higher brightness due to no longer needed to worry about recharging) :wink:

Honestly that was my one of my first motivating factors when I designed these; I had bought several lights that literally either fell off mid ride or had their mounts falling apart after a week. It’s expensive for a college student haha

The angle is a feature that a few people have brought up that I am heavily considering. My new prototype design currently features about +5, -10 degrees of angle but I may increase the depression angle in the final design. I may even remove the positive elevation because this light is very bright, and may actually be a bit too bright for cars; but ideally you would have it adjusted to ~0 degrees for most situations anyway. I will probably leave it as an option for the rider.

Very soon i’ll be posting some pictures of a prototype mount (both cad and printed) and messaging a few of the people who were interested in testing out the light/mount for me and sending out one or two of them.

Ultimately, my goal is to sell these at a discount to anyone on the forum for the help you guys have given me in terms of insight into refining the new mount. I want to help the community as much as you guys have helped me :slight_smile: I may even give a few lights away :wink:

Thanks again for the suggestions

1 Like

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing what you got!

1 Like

Alright everyone i’ve got my first working prototype completed. :clap:

It tests all of the basic functionality I am interested in, and includes a ~-10 degree depression and +5 elevation. It can be adjusted with just your hand.

It utilizes the lights slide clip system which is wonderfully secure, robust, and easy to operate imo.

The light can be removed with a single hand, and has some protection on each side to mitigate damage from impact. The light itself is rated to IPX5; so it is waterproof to sprays from any direction and can survive a 2m drop test.

I will get some night photos soon but it is very bright and should be easily the best performing light you can buy for a long board.

I am going to take a look through the list of people that wanted to test the light and send out 3 lights and mounts to people.

If you are especially interested in testing a light send me a PM as a few already have. I am looking for somebody that rides avidly and is an active forum member who can give me feedback efficiently. I am involving whoever tests the light in the design process and will be asking for input on what they think the light does or does not need, and I may even come back to these people in the future as I develop other stuff.

Here are some pictures :slight_smile: IMG_20190526_135347 IMG_20190526_135419 IMG_20190526_135434 IMG_20190526_135441 IMG_20190526_135452 IMG_20190526_135511

4 Likes