What deck is best for building your own electric skateboard?

Yeah, I’m 210lbs and 8 ply feels really solid on a 37" deck.

so, for this newbie, how do i set this up with larger wheels?

I have been using this deck, and like it but I like to keep my foot on the tail, and the tail is too narrow. Any suggestions for a black(cheap) deck that is more like an old school vert board?

https://www.amazon.com/Moose-Kicktail-Deck-9-75-36-5/dp/B01GJZDREK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1474286157&sr=1-1&keywords=moose+36.5

1 Like

Hey guys, unfortunately something happen to my vesc (stray radio at the same frequency maybe?) While I was in Manhattan. The board took off on me and decided to go toe to toe with a Nissan frontier. Needless to say the frontier kicked my boards ass. Luckily the only thing that broke was the deck (a earthing chaser 36) I also cracked the space cell case but it can be easily repaired. Now on to the question for the community. I mostly chose the chaser 36 for the tail which is absolutely a must have for me. I need to pop over curbs and such, I also like to kick the board up to grab it. However I had to extend the wheel base on the chaser to get enough clearance for the motors/battery. Pushing the truck that far back reduced my leverage quite a bit basically making the tail useless… does anyone know of a deck that will fit the space cell/enertion motors and mounts while also having a tall? The other option might be for me to gut the space cell to make my own case. The section for the vescs could be quite a bit shorter this providing clearance for the motors. Thoughts?

Some decks I am considering include these… Omen Sugar Jati Karate Chop Mach 3 by eastside longboards Madrid 2016 Havoc Earthwing Skateboards Team 37 Earthwing Superglider Black Leather Racing Franken Rodder Ehlers Mad Deer Jet 2016 Vulcan Kick 37.7 Comet 2016 Ethos 40 Bonzing Super FATTY Gravity 39" Carve Longboard Skateboard Deck w/ Grip Flood Kontrol SkateMaster Tate Deck

Some have a good amount of concave but I am making my own enclosure.

1 Like

Hi there! Been lurking around and trying to figure out which is the shortest possible all terrain / mountainboard deck available…

I’ve got two boards now:

Scrub Silver Reef series II mountainboard (42.5’’ long) - already electric Street line - X mountainboard (35’’ long) - not electric

I measured that the shortest ‘‘comfortable’’ deck lenght could be 31.5’’… That is the lenght which the street line - x mountainboard now has at its baseplate outer screws.

From observation I have witnessed that the wheels should be outside of where your feet is located… Otherwise the board is not very stable (skateboards are a good example).

So it seems that for now, the shortest distance for where the feet can rest comfortably, is about 27.5’’ plus there’s a need for some extra material where to locate the trucks / baseplate to mount the wheels outside of standing location. This is why I came up with 31.5’’ lenght.

There are some few other things to consider - like turning radius and more… but for now I would like to figure out what size to choose and how should I modify a ready made board to make it more suitable for my needs (by cutting it shorter or narrower at the ends)

If you got any ideas or tips…that would be great… I know there are a few all terrain build logs here on the forum but I just wanted to ‘‘shout out’’ this proposal, so that I can update it later when I have gathered some more info…

I just bought this downhill stiff deck, from my point of view the most beautiful design of a deck ever and the most suitable for stability at high speeds. No more fiddling to see where you put your rear foot, W shape, 4 truck clamp points and a spaceship design

Never Summer Reaper 2016

5 Likes

Hi,

I’m just starting to scratch the surface of this fun wheel and am really excited about the thought of building my own electric longboard. I used to longboard a ton in high school and have recently started building and flying multi rotors. I would love to use my knowledge of the drone hobby and my love for longbaording. I have an old board made from a very small company in Salt Lake City that I would like to potentially use for the build. Here are some pics of the build: http://imgur.com/a/tNWZb

I know this board is very low clearance, but I am wondering if there any possible way to make it work in its current configuration? I know if would likely need to upgrade from my current 70mm wheels.

I can’t find any information on here about rear mounting motors to where they would be protruding out the back, like Evolve does on their boards. What term would I use to search for builds like this? Does anyone in the DIY community use this mounting style? Thanks for the help. I look forward to continuing to plan and hopefully execute on this build.

@Snow4us

Hi, consider making your own topic or ask in the new chat… If you want rear drive, you can use some motor mounts like DIY’s (USA) or APS’s (Europe). I think both of them should work, to be certain contact their support…

ALso chech this topic (http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/1132).

It is also possible to use normal front drive, but i wouldn’t do that or I would use smaller motors (50mm, 63 only with 90mm+ wheels) Consider using hub motors :wink:

this really helped, thanks :wink: !

Where did you get this deck from?

It’s the 2016 Reaper, I bought it from Muirskate.com last year, unfortunately Never Summer discontinued this deck shape, the 2017 it’s not as cool as this one.

I don’t know why buy longboard companies are designing less attractive decks year after year, check this thread:

1 Like

Ahh, what did they do to it?!

This is the new Reaper 2017 :sob:

https://www.muirskate.com/photos/products/6729/product_Main_Reaper17(TEMP).png

2 Likes

lotta room at 40"

I Think the landyaughts switchblade would be my choice for a non kick tail deck, with the trucks bottom mounted. Comfy foot pockets to help with braking and acell.

Drang Dasher 37"…if you can find one. By far the most comfortable deck for esk8. Wide, stiff, adjustable wheel base, fantastic dampening, nice pockets, useable kick tail. Several friends have ridden it and to a man, they love it.

I’ve never ridden my drop thu bottom mounted. if i did that it, and I liked it, I’d rather have gotten the board without the cutouts! next time. do they sell drop thru bottom mount top covers for the ocd. …im going to fill the holes with a sound system.

I have the Flood Kontrol SkateMaster Tate Deck and I love it. Almost ready to start building it into an e-skate.

have the perfect griptape for that

4 Likes