What deck is best for building your own electric skateboard?

The Space Cell 4 battery takes up 3/4 of the length of the enclosure. So the last 1/3 of the battery will sit at the center of your deck where it flexes the most. even if you hang it with a 1/2" of foam, it won’t be enough.

if you don’t want to split your enclosure, you can split up your battery pack into a few groups of cells connected by wires instead of strips.

1 Like

@cesargrimmelprez

If you have your heart set on that deck you could put fiberglass on it to stiffen it up.

1 Like

And what if i do a 10s 3p battery? Cause i cant find any other good decks that are under 100€

And what do you think of this one? 9 layers… Would it flex to much or not?

http://www.tactics.com/globe/prowler-vintage-black-38-longboard-deck/vintage-black-thistle

@Cmatson - that is a S E X Y deck! love the wood grain and cutouts! Plus a kicktail - super functional!!!

1 Like

Could you send a link?

It’s advertised as a stiff deck, so it should work well on an Esk8, but will not fit the SPACE CELL enclosure. Here’s a pic of how it will fit. You can still use a Space Cell 3, but you will need a smaller enclosure.

Try looking for a board with more of a symmetrical shape like the Funbox dist Suzie Slide through.

2 Likes

I dont think so, cause wheelbase is 72 cm and space cell is 56 cm so that gives still 16 cm of clearance, but it wont be tha deck tho

Buttt i fell in love with the arbor, its just stunning, im going to get that one

What are those wheels 90mm? No wheelbite on you switchblade?

I changed my deck to Rayne Reaper so can’t tell you whether Switchblade worked.

Man you had already mounted it and didn’t test? :confused:

Switchblade works fine with that setup. I mounted my 90’s and Carvon hubs drop thru on a switchblade and it worked fine. Just had to carve out a wheel well so the hub motor case doesn’t hit. No wheel bite on the 90’s, but it was close. I changed to a Suzie slide through because my enclosure didn’t have as much clearance as I wanted and I still wanted a drop thru.

1 Like

Nice to hear, cause atm i have some 80mm kegels and it looks already really close. But id like to go bigger!

The trucks you have may make a slight difference since it’s close when I carve really hard, but nothing a few minutes with a file can’t solve. I was using the Funbox trucks my car on came with. I calipers look like the hangers are a little farther back and may hit a little.

Is 8 ply’s of maple enough?

can I use those size wheels with Enertion dual drive r spec ube +? I want an all Enertion build except with A/T wheels with the correct pulley ratio for the set up.

I’m planning my first build, and I’m thinking about using a pintail deck. I found this deck only for a reasonable price (around 40 EUR) at a local skate shop.

I’m planning to use 90mm wheels with 180mm Caliber trucks, but I’m unsure whether they would be too big for the pintail deck and cause wheel bite. Would 83mm wheels be safer? Is there any information out there regarding what wheel size (or additional riser) is recommended with given deck shapes?

I’m 83 kg (183 pounds), and I’m completely new to skateboarding, so probably I won’t make sharp turns at least in the beginning.

thx.

LHB built a custom board for me, he used a 9 ply deck. And that thing was total overkill for my 140 lbs. It does fine with 300 lbs on it. I’d probably get an 8 ply for myself next time, I maybe able to get away with 7 ply. Not an expert on this by any means, but all I know is 9 ply is pretty freakin tough.