What category of board is this thing, anyway?

I appreciate it, but I’m still trying to figure out a system.

1 Like

good luck!

i bet your local maker space has a vinyl cutter you could use. not sure if that would cut griptape but it’s worth a try!

One of the most original grip tape designs in this forum, right there :astonished: :point_down:

1 Like

Question # 1 Them 6355 motor specs? Impressions? :point_down:

1 Like

The most local one to me is 3 hours away. I’ve read that vinyl cutters don’t work, it dulls the blade too quick and the grip residue is harmful to the tiny roller motors.

1 Like

dang you must live in the boonies!

1 Like

Podunk Alabama, right here :grinning:

1 Like

Question # 2 What’s the reason for the six holes on this rims? wheel pulleys? :point_down:

1 Like

Most 60t or 72t pulleys have 6 mounting slots.

1 Like

Damn guys, I go and do something else for ONE day, and my thread blows up!

@mmaner I used a ruler and pencil to draw it out on paper first, then used some spray adhesive to stick my paper template to the grip tape, and used a utility knife to cut it out. I cut it out before sticking it to the board.

Thanks @pixelsilva, I appreciate it! I had a lot of trouble coming up with a design that was “me” you know? I ended up with this one, which I like because it looks like the waveform a BLDC motor runs on, as well as a kinda Celtic knotwork type thing.

The motors came from @JLabs, and as far as I know, they’re pretty much the same as what he’s selling on buildkitboards.com, minus the logo on the side. I’m very happy with them. I had one of my belts WAY too tight at first and broke one of the motor shafts off, but that was my error, not the fault of the motor.

The wheels I used at first were designed for robotics (FIRST, or battlebots, etc) and those were the standard mounting holes that their pulleys etc use. I just copied the pattern when I was machining my pulleys.

Speaking of pulleys, when I swapped from those wheels to psycho’s sixshooters, they came with 60t pulleys instead of 72, so that brought my gearing down a little more, and increased my top speed from ~24 to ~28mph. Still has plenty of torque for hills though :smiley:

Here’s a shot of the mounts @GrecoMan:

6 Likes

DAYUM those are sexy mounts!

5 stars on yelp!

1 Like

GrecoMan so flattered and humble…

https://m.popkey.co/024033/K03l0.gif

2 Likes

Mystical, I’m intrigued by your motors. By the numbers they seem a bit in between 50xx and 6374s, but how big they really are? Like that they are short length, that saves a lot of headaches with short truck widths. Could be an options for my build if my chinese motors end up being to large to fit between my future mount installation.

By the way, the grip tape design really look celtish or nordic.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re the same diameter as a '74 but they’re only ~55mm long (excluding the shaft ofc) That makes them a perfect fit for 10" trucks.

1 Like

I have the same motors…theyre 6355s

3 Likes

Due to some interest from the Esk8 Lights thread, here’s some more info on my lighting setup: I’m using LDU48 (or LDU56) led drivers, one for the headlight and one for the tail light. They’re good for up to 60v input, and can provide up to 48(or 56) volts output to the LEDs at constant current. They’re available in various current options, and I’m using a 150mA for the tail, and a 700mA for the front. They can drive as few as one LED, or as many as can be put in series and still have their combined forward voltage be below the battery voltage.

They allow PWM dimming, which I’m taking advantage of using an Adafruit Trinket microcontroller to allow me to have high beams/low beams, and tail lights/brake lights, using input from the receiver. @Clonkex helped me out immensely with the code side of things.

The headlight LED is a Cree XHP35 (12v forward voltage) running at 700mA, with some nice TIR optics. The tail light is a red COB module with 16 leds in parallel (2.7v forward voltage) running at 150mA.

3 Likes

Hi! Very nice board you’ve made! I got interested in the original wheels you used. Did you order the tires from aliexpress? As about the hubs of the first version - did you printed them somewhere or there is a shop where to order them?

Otherwise very resourceful build log! … a lot of things to learn from you :slight_smile: grip tape design sure is nice and Im also impressed with axle mod :slight_smile:

Thanks for the question! The hubs are from Andymark and the tubes and tires came from monsterscooterparts, here and here.

You can get the same tubes and tires for cheaper on aliexpress etc, but I was impatient, so I paid a little more to have them sooner.

1 Like

Hey nice build mystical I was wondering if u took the extension off when u got the sixshooters I’m in love with the grip design

Yeah, the sixshooters have 8mm bearings. No need for the extensions.

1 Like