What are those X things called - Order Form on post # 172

Anyone have issues mounting these with Surf Rodz base plates using the farthest apart mounting holes? It seems the holes on the X-thing are not quite far enough apart to do so and for some reason the other mounting holes on my deck don’t line up.

I had no issues with my SR trucks. Everything lined up great.

1 Like

huh.

that’s strange.

What size hardware are you using? M5 is a little tighter than 10-32.

pics?

I’ll check when I get home but I think it’s 10-32

1 Like

I got no problems with mine using M5.

20181010_185936

2 Likes

The fit should be tight, but not impossible.

New school is 2.125" or 53.975mm

Old school is 2.5" or 63.5mm

The holes are made with 6.53mm end mills, so they are slightly inset so that the bolts heads have more meat to press against. I can change this in future models if there is a clearance issue emerging.

It would go from this: image

to this: image

Here is the difference: image

Thoughts?

5 Likes

IDK they’ve been great so far, just this weird issue I’m having. (and realistically it could just be me doing something wrong) They’re nice little tactile foot markers

1 Like

OK, but definitely let me know if you’re having issues.

2 Likes

image image

Final product. Thanks Matt! :ok_hand:t3:

13 Likes

Mad Thing!

1 Like

Hello @akhlut,

I filled the google form hoping to get a price (including shipping) before the end of the process but nothing (and asking the address with only one line of text is a bad idea)… So now I’m in queue but I don’t know how much it will cost, such a nonsense !

How is it supposed to work to get final price including shipping (universal models)? And the same for custom models ?

Thanks in advance, keep the good work ! :wink:

1 Like

@akhlut

https://compositeenvisions.com/2-rigid-composite-tubes-rods-plates/economy-plates/

I don’t know what exactly you would need, but I am sure you could sell some limited edition x things in CF.

They even have a bunch of colored fiber plates and stuff too.

These are the guys I get all my CF stuff from.

4 Likes

Holy shit, I was just looking through all the plate options, I want to buy a plate in something dope and send it to you to see how it goes.

Dude, people would eat them alive I think. Even at a high premium.

Whew, so cool!

4 Likes

Shiiitttt. I’m down for a set in CF. lol

3 Likes

Right?!

To match the bottom of your Haya! Sick…

4 Likes

WAIT, more things carbon fiber. MESSA WANT

2 Likes

https://compositeenvisions.com/rigid-composite-tubes-rods-plates/rigid-composite-plates/

This would have to be run a little differently than I usually operate.

1. We’d need to agree to a color.
  2. We’d need to agree on a thickness.
  3. I need 10 people to pre-pay a deposit so I can get the material (this shit is expensive).
  4. You choose a shape and let me know what you want.
  5. I cut the parts and invoice you the balance. The balance will depend on machine time and amount of material used. I’ll calculate the total price less the deposit and give you an itemized bill.
  6. I ship the parts to you
  7. You pay the balance when they get there.

I think this is pretty reasonable.

Survey Monkey link to accomplish step 1.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XSKFRYF

4 Likes

@Sender @b264 that copper and purple tho.

Both would be perfect on my shuggah…

2 Likes

Which size would you get and how many could you cut from it?

What could you get out of a 12" by 12"? How many sets?

1 Like

So here’s where it gets tricky.

So each individual brace takes up about 70mm x 95mm of area (this includes tool paths and 1mm of waste all the way around the part.

And I have to be conservative about how many parts I can produce. Shit happens, so I need to have a little bit of material in reserve in case something goes terribly wrong.

The numbers below are for the 3mm red kevlar. Others may not be the same.

12"x12" (300mm x 300mm) I can reliably produce 5 sets, with 1 set in reserve in case shit goes south. Those 5 sets would be $17 each for the carbon fiber plate alone. No bueno.

If we move up to a 12" x 24" sheet I can produce 10 sets reliably with potentially 2 in reserve. That’s $12 per set for the plate.

Going to a 12" x 36" sheet I can produce 15 sets reliably with potentially 3 in reserve. That’s $11 per set for the plate.

The sweet spot is 12" x 24". 10 sets @ $12/set

W H Cost Cost/mm^2 Sets Sets, Actual Cost Per Actual Min Cost
300 300 85 $0.00094 6 5 $17.00 $14.00
300 600 121 $0.00067 12 10 $12.00 $10.00
300 900 167 $0.00062 18 15 $11.00 $9.00
300 1200 214 $0.00059 24 20 $11.00 $9.00

I think it’s going to be difficult to get enough people to agree on a single color. Ideally I’d go 12x36, but that’s 50% more people than 12 x 24.

3 Likes