Water proofing?

yeah that’s always the trade off when you put grooves in tyres. but it would be worth it in the wet.

I wouldnt use them for dry.

no, I have an idea for the snow. check out this:

If we could take this concept, use higher quality parts (cause you can tell that board is a piece of garbage), and put a motor on it, and electric snow skateboard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i saw this when i was looking at mountain boards!

this would be pretty easy to mod i think. If you could get some hub motors in the ends of those tracks you would literally have a tank. It might need to be jacked up on risers to make room for what obviously needs to be a huge battery pack though.

somebody please do this. lol

Haha I saw that too. I think turning might be an issue but that would be awesome plowing through a few inches of snow.

I think hub motors would be perfect for this but the issue is you would need to keep the electronics in a sealed, water proof enclosure, which would be hard since esc’s need air flow to cool down. It would be awesome to see though.

why would you ever need to turn? you’re on tank treads. Whatever you can’t mow down you can crawl over. Trees, houses, small children, alligators, big children, obese people in wheelchairs…

seriously though you’d probably have to run four hub motors and hack all the VESCs to turn using one sided brakes/reverse much like tanks do. Luckily there’s a wheel on the GT2B with its own signal channel. HMMMMMMMMMM…

3 Likes

haha, old people watching and talking says its a tank… no, its an electric skateboard. no, its an electric snow skateboard.

I think this would be perfect for the winter. I was joking yesterday with my gf that I could strap my snowboard on my back, using the electric snow skateboard to get up the mountains, then switch them and snowboard down… who needs lifts?

1 Like

That would be sweet. I have an old Burton Snowskate. Thinking about throwing a single tank track behind it :smile:

1 Like

Speaking of having fun in the wet and rainy…

Its raining here in San Francisco. I had a pretty wet ride just now and on the way back I managed to find a couple spots of really smooth pavement and sidewalk. Whilst riding over those smooth spots the wetness allowed for me to punch the acceleration and just break the wheels free. I had a whole block of just using burnouts to keep me moving foward lol

1 Like

I drove to class today. I haven’t water proofed enough to ride in the rain we had today. I rode in he we got two days ago and all was good, but that was light rain. It was a little harder today.

Being in Seattle I face a lot of wet. This is my new build for winter, I use silicon mat and rubber and foam rubber to build up deck and seal as a gasket. I made a motor cover from a lens cap and aluminiun water bottle. This is cold weather only as heat is an issue in summer.

4 Likes

@Airlocktechnics nice work! How do you attach the cover to the motor? Do you bolt it to the motor mount or does it spin on the outrunner can? either way it’s a cool idea! I used to live in Seattle and yup, it’s pretty much wet all the time. Careful for slick roads!

The cap has holes that the mounts screws go through. The cylinder portion then inserts inside of flange of the lens cap. I use some electrical tape around it to make sure it does not slip off. Its easy to slip on and off without removing motor. I use port covers too.

4 Likes

Wow! Awesome water proofing setup! Well done.

I like it! That’s highly needed.

This one looks great for 1mm Silicone just to cover everything.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F1MM-Thicknes-20-X20-Silicone-Rubber-Sheet-Plate-Mat-High-Temp-Commercial-Grade-%2F111690691009%3Fhash%3Ditem1a0148b1c1%3Ag%3AagcAAOSwBLlVdkXA&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGVsyjweC2ZOJ69UzZvf1o6Y8u6bA

speaking of silicone, i just received a whole roll of black silicone sheeting to use as gaskets. When I got it i took it out of the box to look at and feel and I think its going to be a real winner when I finally get my boxes ready and need to make gaskets.

I just tried to dig through my email but i can’t find the order confirmation with the link on it. Blast!

So i have to runs some checks but im almost positive i killied my ubec in the rain last night. Everything but the wire connections were flooded. So the ubec was ny furst item to die dyring rain.

Are you located in the us? I have one if you want.

Yeah I am here in San Francisco, Good chance I will hit up amazon unless you are here in the city as well?

I’m out here in Chicago. I can send it to you as long as it’s no more than a couple bucks to send. At no charge to you of course.

Actually thanks bruh but I found some on amazon that allowed me to use my prime account and get them here today hahaha

However… I took freehand willy apart last night, with everything apart I try and get a test fire to work. The wheels spin up and all is well. So now I have some extra UBEC action for the 3 VESCs I am currently sitting on lol

Also got some hot glue so that I can use that to help keep the water out some. Speaking of hot glue… longhariedboy’s post about hot glue

1 Like