VRUZEND battery diy kit questions!

Hi everyone I am making my own lithium ion battery pack for my build and I decided to use the vruzend battery diy kit, Here, and the concern i have is the clearance issue on the bottom of my board. Let me insert some pictures so you can see what my concern is. My question here is, can I allign the batteries like this with the DIY kit?

OR does it have to be like this?

The second picture has the a 12S3P config and has them standing vertical, this makes the pack very thick. Ive seen this used for e-bikes since you can get a large amount of Ah with these packs. I want to make my pack a 12s3p or 12s4p, but unlike the second picture, I want mine to be thin like i drew in the first picture inserted. Can this be done? And if so how? any feedback will be appreciated.

Do you have the cells and the vruzend kit? You could lay them out and measure up what space you might need?

Not yet, I want to sort this out for sure before I buy everything

They have the dimensions on their website though, I’m just not sure if I can lay them out like in the first picture or if I HAVE TO make it look like the second picture

Oh yeah it definitely looks like you can do it the way you want. The first picture on their site has two packs in it, both 1S4P. All you gotta do is lay them down and wire 12 of them together in series. :slight_smile:

So how would i do that? can i use the little brackets of metal they include or would i have to solder?

last time I saw this, we determined it’s not a viable option because the caps are rated at like 6amp continuous so you’ll overheat them unless u run like a 5p and above pack, or have batt current limit set to something unreasonably low

1 Like

ohhhh my god, is there another solution for a solderless pack?

someone posted this the other day but…didn’t really go through the 45min video:

Oh yeah I do recall that now. They seemed a bit small to me in the pictures

There are better choices for weld-free esk8 li-ion packs, in particular the nese, see the posts by @agniusm for nese related info or 18650.lt

I say this as someone who has belligerently almost finished building a veruzend 12s7p case pack for a MTB build, but I have modified it to only use the caps, everything else I ripped out and replaced with low resistance metal, in reflection I would not bother going this route

Btw you could layout a veruzend pack like your first or second picture

Here are some sizes. Its hard grasp when there is so much info Vruzend 6P: 0.285l, 366g NESE 6P: 0.200l, 364g Energus 6P: 0.174l, 322g (Assembled modules with cells, spotwelded) If compared to NESE to Vruzend: 3P NESE - 22x74x68.1mm, Vruzend - 22x88x66mm (0.110L vs. 0.127L) L for liters 4P NESE - 22x74x86.4mm, Vruzend - 22x88x88mm (0.140L vs. 0.170L) 5P NESE - 22x74x104.7mm, Vruzend - 22x88x110mm (0.170L vs. 0.212L) 6P NESE - 22x74x123mm, Vruzend - 22x88x132mm (0.200L vs. 0.255L) BTW recommended current per single cell on Vruzend is 3.5A if i’m not mistaken

Did you finish the battery what this kit. I am interested in trying the kit too.

No, I am gonna spot weld!

I’m interested also, but the low current limit on the tabs is a deal braker. What if we can change the metal tabs with another type of contactor?

Hey everyone, Micah here from Vruzend. My latest tests on the V2 vruzend kit are showing caps handling at least 20 A per cell. Actually tested up to 24A so far with Sony VTC4 cells. We’ll be releasing more info and final specs for the upgraded high current V2 kits in the next 2 weeks or so. edit: in case anyone hasn’t been following, the V2 is the copper based kit, hence the higher current ratings.

8 Likes

20A per cell is a huge improvement. Thanks for continuing development.

Will v2 kits be available on the website soon?

For North American battery builders, yea. I don’t have an exact date yet, but soon. If you are outside of North America, you can already preorder the V2 at https://www.vruzend.com/international-orders and it should be shipping in a few weeks.

I just did a 17A-24A test today on the V2 kit and on spot welds, and filmed the comparison to make a video soon. Basically, there wasn’t a difference between the two that was larger than the margin of error in the test, so they are effectively equal performance.

2 Likes