VESC6 Cost and Who is It made for?

Interested to know how you found out he doesn’t. I’m not trying to defend him, more curious about your sources and their credibility.

Thanks

I asked a guy, who Ben is currently working with.

I suppose that opens up loads more questions but I’m not interested enough to take this further.

Thanks for answering my question, I hope people’s hard work is eventually paid back to them.

OR a donate button. You know what, I think i’m going to make that happen. I’m not in a position to give back yet, but i have been keeping track of what i’m moving with the intent of sending him some money soon. There’s no reason i can’t have some kind of donation variant though.

5 Likes

Done. Added a donation section to the page with a button to paypal and a blurb about what’s up with it.

https://longhairedboy.com/collections/all/products/focbox-electric-skateboard-motor-controller

Also i think i might add a product variant that lets you make the donation as part of the checkout process.

4 Likes

That’s the magic right there… I was thinking about that :slight_smile:

On a separate note – why are still so crazy about FOCBox when there is the VESC6 and @stewii VESC6 clone (ESCape its being called I guess) ? I know FOCBox run really really well and read a lot of good news about them being very robust and the like. But it’s old technology now right?

All those little questions are just pre-text for… when are the big boys like Enertion going to release their OWN VESC6 ? I mean if @stewii got the open source schematics and made a reliable clone. He is just a small guy… any of these big boys like Enertion can surely hire a engineering college kid and do the same right? Or are we waiting on the reference design to be released by BV? I checked the vesc project website and it says he will release it soon. I am sure he will but he maybe busy or it take a very long time. Wouldn’t it behoove us to do what @stewii did? Assuming what he is doing is legal as the schematics were released open source.

The silence on this issue is deafening if you know what I mean.

Why does this all matter to me? I am buyer and I need more VESC’s in 2018.

There is something set up on the VESC-Project website already. It is not public yet, but 2018 it will open the doors. It is an official Partner Program and it is very transparent. Users will be able to see who is taking part and the conditions will be the same for everyone. This will be good for vendors and customers.

Frank

because the VESC6 is $325 goddamned dollars per fucking unit. The FocBox is the only logical compromise between what is literally a choice between total fucking shit, the FocBox, and total fucking Trampa wallet rape.

I just told frank i’d have to raise my base model prices to $3200 to use them.

7 Likes

Actually that’s not true, there are a couple of other option before you get all the way to Trampa wallet rape. Ollin and AXLE both have quality products as well.

when I click the “donate” button it just takes me back to here (the forum)

1 Like

fixed. Some clever fool who built the Debut theme thought it might be nice to relate a css class to an href destination.

1 Like

Glad you aren’t a detective…

I will say this, pre Trampa I would def have donated to BV as a vendor. Post Trampa, when I am being forced to do something that I would normally do out of goodwill I tend to fight back.

4 Likes

Its 1/3 of the price and for our purposes is almost un-killable.

So is a 72 Dodge Charger, but would you rather have this…

or this…

I can’t see buying a VESC6 until the price is competitive and I’m not gonna be locked into a single source (software) for an open source product.

ROFL, glad folks are starting to talk about this.

6 Likes

Lol you guys both ignored the rest of what I said after saying it’s old technology.

I am saying yes FOCBox gr8 but is old. @stewii has made a VESC6 clone using the open source schematics from BV.

How come @onloop & @chaka have not used the schematics and made their own new version of the VESC… i.e FOCBox2 or FOCBox6 or whatever ?

Is there a plan in the works or just everybody is mum about it for now?

@gogomrrobot Have you try the vesc 6 ?

@chaka doesn’t have to. His v1.1 is unkillable and the format is desirable for his application. IT has all the primary benefits of a 6 with the 4.12 format convenience for his space constraints. Not to mention the extras. Ollin has been fine tuning that thing constantly for a long time now. Fine tuning, not reinventing and surrounding with politics.

@onloop did exactly the opposite. Enertion took the format and left it mostly 4.12 in nature save the direct fets and a few good layout and component upgrade decisions. @blasto and @JohnnyMeduse have been feeding them with feedback and improvements since day one based on the failures they’ve seen. At this point the FocBox is both no longer a 4.12 and not yet a VESC6. I have helped contribute to this by deliberately sending my broken vescs to @JohnnyMeduse who is associated with enertion for repairs and i have been promoting his services. Why? Because i want the focbox and anything after it to meet my increasingly demanding needs. We don’t have to come out and say it, we know its a mutually beneficial relationship. I’ve been associated with Enertion since the beginning. Nothing new here.

Enertion is in a position to provide me with an excellent product that does exactly what i need it to for exactly the right price and they listen to me when i tell them shit ain’t right. Any time i post something of interest, anytime i ask questions, @blasto and @JohnnyMeduse are right fucking there pointing shit out and that’s how its fucking done. If i’m pushing boundaries and they notice, they ask questions, warn me about things, let me know good info.

2 Likes

i have 4 trampa vesc6 and 2 stewii vesc6… but i am not a power user. I likely wouldn’t feel the difference… i only went the vesc6 route because months back from when i first got into the hobby… they said other vesc’s weren’t immediately included in the vesc tool. I have tuned my trampa carver to run at about 80a. Still not really a fast board with 6365… maybe it can get to about 25-27mph.

I ordered a new deck from @longhairedboy and some carvon v4 xl’s looking to do bigger stuff in 2018

I didn’t ignore it, I just don’t agree with it. From my standpoint why would I upgrade to a device that has a larger footprint and has fewer config possibilities? You used the word ‘old’ when I think you meant ‘earlier’. You are making the assumption that an earlier iteration is not as good as a later iteration and it’s just not true.

I can see using the VESC6 for a MTB that needed 120a delivery, but there is no benefit over the FocBox for street boards, but there are deficiency issues as related above.

1 Like

throwing that veneer in the press tonight homie. Should be able to bang that out in a week or so hopefully. Two weeks max.

2 Likes

So basically you’ve never try a Focbox or Ollin 1.1… ?

If you want to know, from personal experience there not enough difference between a Focbox and a Vesc 6.0… you should try :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. We where event able to bench test a motor up to 130Erpm in foc withpuy damaging anything (which is 30k over the absolute limits).

2 Likes