VESC throttle not working

I will in a second, but the supported versions are 2.17 or 2.18

You need to update your firmware. That is a known bug which can kill your VESC. After the update make sure that the MAX CURRENT RAMP STEP is at 0.0400. And then write the values and read it again. Make sure that the value is still at 0.0400 after the read and not at 0.4000

And then reduce the startup boost and set it to 0.000 in the BLDC advanced screen and give it a try.

And if everything still doesn’t help then please make a video of the PPM Screen while you have the Display checkbox enabled. When you start to pull the trigger you should see that the % inreases and when the trigger is pulled fully then it should be at 100 %. If you pull it half it should be at 75 % and when you relese it it should be at 50%. If that’s not the case then adjust the values for minimum and maximum until it fits.

Sorry, but where is the MAX CURRENT RAMP STEP? In which tab?

TAB motor configuration and advance

but don’t write down 0.04000… without knowing witch firmware you have… or juste in case you can re-flash the firmware usine the file: VESC_default.bin… in the folder for the hardware 4_10 4_12

Firmware is 2.18

So for 2.18 it needs to be 0.04?

yes so maybe try to reprogram your vesc

Do I need to reprogram it or just set it to 0.04?

Try to reprogram it first, to see what it does… (I will do the same on my side just to be sure)

Ok, when I tried to set it to 0.04 it wouldn’t let me, kept going to 0.4

set it to 0.004

it sound like the same problem people got with the early release of the firmware 2.18 and by setting it to 0.004 it will go to 0.04

Ok. Got it.

Alright, yeah that was it, its now at 0.04.

Alright, so I switched it… and nothing’s different. It feels the exact same, and the same issue is still there, although the board moves me once I push, I still have the same issue where most of the throttle isn’t used, as in 75% throttle is the same as 100%

I have that throttle issue too, but it is common.

This is because the vesc determines throttle by amps, not rpm.

So if you only need 10 amps to go max speed, but you set your vesc to a max of 30 amps, than it can get up to speed at 1/3 throttle. Likewise if you set a bunch of amps and punch it, the board will accelerate crazy fast and then flatten out really quickly at a lower throttle position.

On my hummie board with 40 amps 10s per motor, I can slam the throttle right to 1/2 and get up to full speed in a few seconds. Then, the second 1/2 of the throttle does nothing

Hmm interesting, I figured there must be some kind of issue though, because when I go to calculate the speed, it should have a theoretical max of 30mph with a weighted of around 24. (but I’m really light so it should be around 27/28)

When I was riding, at top speed it was more like 12mph

Then check the ppm settings. Connect to the vesc in the BLDC-Tool. Go to the PPM tab. Switch on the Display Checkbox. When you release the throttle then it should be at 50%. When you pull it half it should be at 75%, when you pull it full then it should be at 100%. If that is not the case then adjust it with the minimum pulsewidth and maximum pulsewith values.

Yep, everything is right, when released at 50%, when pulled at 100%, and in the middle is 75%…