VESC shuts down...full throttle

Here’s what happened: I quickly accelerate to about 10ish mph after a little push (basically full throttle after kick push), then my vesc just cuts power few seconds into hill climb. I started from relatively flat ground, then hill grade increases gradually. If I don’t accelerate too quickly, it can climb that hill at about 15mph without losing power or overheating.

Here’s a video showing the hill (this was recorded a while back). I start at the same spot shown in the video around 2:49, then power cuts off around 2:53

VESC cuts power around 0:11 shown below https://youtu.be/tEt3twaNV0Y My setup:

• r-spec 6355 190kv
  • space cell 3
  • vesc 4.12 hw 2.18 fw
  • 83mm wheel, 15/36 gearing

My VESC settings: FOC mode Motor max: 60.00 A Batt max: 40.00 A

Why does it do this?

EDIT: Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT Current : 214.7 Current filtered : 126.9 Voltage : 31.71 Duty : 0.59 RPM : 33177.3 Tacho : 163671 Cycles running : 29347 TIM duty : 4932 TIM val samp : 5 TIM current samp : 8398 TIM top : 8400 Comm step : 0 Temperature : 38.30

Any recorded faults? When this happens you should keep the board powered on and connect it to a computer and check for faults. Try with BLDC and check if the same happens, i bet it doesn’t. I had my board shut down when braking and FOC.

Does the fault code go away if I power it down? I’ll have to check for faults.

It only happens when I accelerate really hard. It can climb that hill no problem as long as I don’t go full throttle from start.

If you power down you wont see the faults, they get cleared at boot time.

i got the fault code:

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT Current : 214.7 Current filtered : 126.9 Voltage : 31.71 Duty : 0.59 RPM : 33177.3 Tacho : 163671 Cycles running : 29347 TIM duty : 4932 TIM val samp : 5 TIM current samp : 8398 TIM top : 8400 Comm step : 0 Temperature : 38.30

Is your “max voltage in” value set to 57V? (Vesc config)

1 Like

it’s set to 43v.

Put it to 57v, it will probably fix your issue

1 Like

Will I get the same fault code if I set to 42v and fully charge it?

Anyway it seems a bit strange that a voltage spike could range 10V, it could be another problem but you may want to try this setting first

Other things to check, connections between battery and vesc and battery itself

I will try that. thanks

sorry, max input voltage is actually set to 57V.

Then there may be an issue on the vesc, battery to vesc connection or battery itself, I would say it’s probably the vesc but I don’t know for sure.

217a current is very high, sounds like a hardware issue

1 Like

@Jinra There’s a Bluetooth module connected to the VESC and a 5v fan connected to the receiver. Will that cause problems? I can accelerate hard on flat ground, but it only shuts down when quickly accelerating into that hill area.

@ra.rend Are those the right battery cutoffs for your setup?

I’m not really sure. Is the battery cutoff end too low?

1 Like

Is there like a problem with my setup? In other words, a short, loose connections, bad settings? Or is it just not capable of what I’m pushing it to do?

you could try to up you max absolute current to 135-140A (this could blow stuff up), but i think you are asking to much for a single 6355

@ra.rend The SPACE Cell is a 10s battery so I think your cutoffs should be Start:35 End:33

I don’t think this is affecting the issuer directly but it’s still good to correct.

(credit to @Jinra for posting this chart a long time ago)

2 Likes