VESC-Project.com is online! Public VESC-Tool download

day day has finally come…

@trampa Could you explain at all why this firmware is much better on the 4.12 vesc’s than the 2.18 FW? Just curious…

Have to be honest. Vesc tool hype is disappointing. As I can tell it does the same as BLDC tool. Just in a “prettier” interface. Has setup wizards but the one I think is useful is ppm input wizard which ackmaniacs extended firmware already has. The motor detection is more “complicated” as it failed first try, had to adjust voltage and erpm. The motor readings are different from BLDC tool so not sure what that means (I used 10amps and 800erpm?). The control modes are the same. For those hoping for DUTY cycle with neutral it didn’t happen which is the reason I was looking forward to the tool. For reverse you cannot set it up so you have to double tap the brakes to engage reverse like hobbywing escs or one step further like @Ackmaniac firmware where you have to decrease erpm to a certain number to safely start reversing (Extended Vesc-tool?) I have not tried the foc tab.

If you’re use to BLDC tool, vesc tool seems more complicated because everything has it’s own tab. I mention all this because if you switch to VESC tool you cannot go back to BLDC tool without bootloader

2 Likes

I can’t even get through an FOC detection with this. Keeps saying “R is 0 Please measure it first.” Hmmm… :frowning:

Hey Guys just a fair Warning… As stated in the warning at the beginning of the tool it is still experimental… and as not been tested properly by everyone so it might void some waranty… and it seem that you can’t go back to old firmware after, without uploading the old bootloader

2 Likes

I got the same issue… That why until further notice and more test It still as to be consider EXPERIMENTAL.

3 Likes

that’s a huge disappointment, I was looking forward to upgrade fmw and make comparison video in FOC performance

I hear what you are saying Titoxd - but disagree on one major point. Simplicity to load and connect/configure a VESC.

Sure, i have a linux laptop somewhere - followed step by step Ben’s guide and it works well. But then i had an issue and tried to reload it… and had issues (like one of the library paths changed)… So then i need to hunt down one of the ported for windows version - which are super specific on what firmware is on that VESC. Except i have 9 VESC now… And only configure one every 5-6 months (once setup - no need ot fiddle w/ it)

So from the simplicity of plug-n-play - i find the new VESC Tool a LOT easier. I’m a linux noob (but in IT - go figure… MS has paid the bills for years and i stick to Windows).

All i’m trying to say is a few minutes in the new tool were a ton easier - wizard driven setup. Info on nearly every button. Explanations of settings, etc. Far improved. If you need to fiddle w/ your amps to detect that seems a small price to pay?

I didn’t like the wizard tbh every page has warnings and popup boxes. In BLDC tool I look at 4 tabs/pages and in vesc tool I have to look at 10 to make same changes. Not a big deal just wanted to mention it.

As for motor detection what is recommended For amps and erpm and duty cycle

Can you upload mac version somewhere? Please. I d love to have it.

He did already. :wink:

1 Like

No, it’s very easy to upload “old” FW. In VESC-Tool in the firmware tab you choose custom file and can upload any FW, after upload is done you just need to open the respective BLDC Tool for settings.

BTW I love this VESC-Tool :heart_eyes: and new FW, already used it in FOC on HW4.12 for 400km without problems.

That’s the only point I’m missing, too… would love to use reverse function but it is too dangerous now.

2 Likes

Exactly! You are not locked! We strongly recommend to update to the latest FW, using VESC-Tool. 2.xx is outdated and will get no more updates. Bugs simply get no fixes. Using VESC-Tool, you will be notified if a new Version is available, which is pretty convenient. You won’t miss critical updates and new features. This way you are always up to date. There will be frequent updates available. You can also write feature requests in the corresponding forum section. We will have a close look at this! This way everyone can help to improve the software.

Frank

1 Like

Did you notice any improvements with new FOC ?

I know that there are many improvements in FOC with the new FW that’s why I gave FOC a try. I’ve never tried FOC with FW 2.18 because I was afraid to fry my HW so I can’t tell you about difference in performance but it seems that FOC is much safer now with the new FW. As said I’m running sensored FOC on HW 4.12 on my dual drive MTB since 400km and fell in love and will never ever go back to BLDC :laughing: , but I switch to VESC 6 soon.

Thanks benjamin, frank & ted for all the time you spent on this!

I am already running FOC …but it sounds really tempting to try new VESC TOOL. I’ll give it a try in a few minutes and ll report back to you guys if there is any noticeable difference.

1 Like

Ok guys …everything went smooth as a butter. There were no problems with updating to new firmware. Vesc wizard configuration tool for motor and ppm went quick. It’s definitely going to be easy now for anyone who is just starting their adventure with vesc. But what’s most important is FOC !!!

Nice work Benjamin Vedder. ! FOC configuration went super quick but I can already tell that there is a difference between old FOC and new one. I have Carvon V2.5 single drive , and FOC with previous BLDC Tool was running great except the fact that at slow press of the trigger on my remote the motor was cogging. Right now after I have setup everything with the new tool, it seems like the cogging is gone. It’s all bench testing right now and I need to take the board for a quick ride but in reality FOC works always better when riding than on the bench. So I expect major improvement here. I’ll let you know later today after the ride. So far I am pretty impressed. Great job guys.

Oh and what’s important I have configured everything on MAC with the build from @rpasichnyk so I can confirm the new software works 100% on OSX.

4 Likes

You have 10 Cells in series, not 40! The P doesn’t count. 10S 4P

Frank

1 Like

Hahahhaha !! True that ! I guess I got too excited !

I repeat it again : thank you very much @trampa and Ben ! You did an amazing job and this public sources release is the proof that convince me I have been a part of a wonderful and promising open-source project. :relieved:

2 Likes

So what about the so called ‘v-tech’ boost on 4,12 HW with ‘old’ 2,18 fw. Is it Better on the new fw ?

I have two focboxes running sk3 outrunners without sensors in bldc at the moment. Any benefits running Them in FOC mode on the new fw, even when they are not sensored ?