VESC-Project.com is online! Public VESC-Tool download

YES thank you @Ackmaniac Glad we got an explanation for this… Non linear braking is exactly what I’m experiencing. Hopefully Benjamin can acknowledge this and fix it in the next version.

@trampa

BTW @Eboosted I tried it out and can confirm setting battery regen ridiculously high (-40) will bring brakes back to normal, though a bit unsafe…

I did feel like brakes were weaker and almost got run over by a car by a couple of inches. In part because couldn’t stop in time even though I had higher brake settings than before. Switching back to extended bldc tool

yea I’m thinking of switching back to 2.18 on bldc too

@Titoxd10001 How do you even downgrade? @Ackmaniac’s BLDC tool won’t even connect. Do you flash his f/w from Vesc tool?

1 Like

I haven’t done it yet but from what others say you can upload other firmwares from vesc-tool

I just updated my current settings, I went from battery min -10A to -20A and motor min from -40A to -30A then went for a test ride, the brakes are much much better now, the braking force is much more linear, however the brakes in FW2.18 were better, not by much though.

I’m gonna try motor min -40A again with -30A for battery min, I’m kinda concerned about those numbers though, they seem to be dangerous for the battery too much current flowing back, I don’t understand why FW2.18 had so much braking force with such a low value for battery min such as -8A

What I really need now is a bluetooth app to change the crrent values from the phone, disassembling the enclosure everytime I want to make a change is getting a PIA, has anyone got a working bluetooth app?, I was able to connect, read battery voltage and read values but not change settings.

1 Like

Check out the reply i tagged you in. Ackmaniac explained the bug in 3.28

I just read it, well doesn’t seem to be a bug, just a different way to calculate maximum braking force in amps, so if I increase battery min to -30A and apply 50% DC:

• 40A motor min
  • 20A battery min
  • 50% DC

-20A battery min / 0.5 DC = -40A at the motor which is the same value I had with FW2.18

I’ll try that tomorrow

Seems like a bug with the calculation to me, As ackmaniac said you’ll either have weak brakes or unsafe regen values.

No, that’s no bug, that’s physics and limits of the cells we can buy today. Conservation of energy is a fact.

Frank

It is not a bug, and therefore can’t be fixed in firmware. It is a wrong configuration / setup.

if it’s not a bug then i guess 2.18/2.54 is just a superior version for me

1 Like

It indeed was a missing bootloader, I followed Vedder‘s instructions and now both Vescs work again. Nevertheless thank you for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well it depends what you want. I just want a stable brake. Means when i brake gentle at high speed (e.g 25% brake) i want the same brake torque when i brake with 25% at mid and low speed.

Currently the brake is only constant at very low speeds.

This example below shows the diffrence in brake power at different speeds (duty cycle) at 25% brake with a setting of -70A motor min and -10A battery min.

It is not a bug because it is implemented in a nice way so it was clearly Benjamin’s intention to do so. But if you ask me it is simply the wrong way to handle the brake current because it results in a unpredictable braking behavior. And the only way to avoid this in the 3.28 firmware is by increasing the battery min value to very high values (which most of our battery’s can’t handle) And this is fixable in the firmware.

3 Likes

Ive gone back and forth a couple times. Just flash 2.18/2.54 FW using the VESC Tool. It finishes, disconnects, then reconnects and gives the outdated firmware message at which point you can swap back and connect to to BLDC tool.

@Ackmaniac @Jinra thank you guys for pointing this issue.

Considering I can’t jump off my skates in case some braking goes wrong I’d risk hard face-plant. That’s not nice despite all the big work done.

@trampa Frank could you please up the issue toward Benjamin so he can solve it on next versions? Linear throttle and braking inputs mean everything for many including me.

Linear brake is great. But linear throttle isn’t.

Because in the old bldc-tool the current control mode was like linear throttle. And watt control (new current control) is a throttle that adjusts to the limits.

Sounds strange but that’s what feels best and what is also the most controllable.

1 Like

If you brake hard (e.g. going down a steep hill), you generate a lot of energy and that needs to go somewhere. Without a waste gate, generating heat from the electric energy, wasting it into the air surrounding your board, you need to store it in your battery. The energy needs to go somewhere - either into the battery, or into heat. What you don’t want is heating up your motor, since that would make it fail/drop out after reaching a critical temp.

There is no other option, other than storing it. So don’t expect strong brakes when you don’t allow the energy to be stored in your battery. This has nothing to do with the software you use. No software can magically dissipate energy into the vacuum of the universe. Strong brakes = high amp flow towards the battery if you don’t install a highly capable waste gate. Unfortunately we sometimes ride on hot tarmac + air is poor heat conductor.

I think people have the wrong impression that they could have strong brakes without the need to store the generated energy. 1000W braking is 1000W electrical energy. It makes no sense to give users the wrong impression that they can adjust their values to low Amp settings on the battery side, and have strong and enduring brakes. You need to face the reality. You wouldn’t expect a strong acceleration if you’d set battery max to 10A only, would you? Braking is negative acceleration.

Frank

@Ackmaniac, you should point this directly on the VESC project forum. :wink: Nice you investigated on this “issue”.

Then i dont understand what ‘motor min.’ does, when it’s ‘bat. Min’ that determines how much energy to the battery, and therefore All so braking strength in the motors ?

Btw. I find it quite weird, that Benjamin is not on the World biggest Esk8 forum.

Absolutely right. But still the wrong way to handle the brake power in the software. Because it results in unpredictable brakes. Just let Benjamin know that it would be a better way to handle the brake like in the old firmware. Strangely when i came with the idea of watt control for brakes in his forum he said himself that it wouldn’t make sense to calculate the brake current that way.

4 Likes