VESC polarity components

I am going to use a battery out of a hoverboard for testing… its it 10s battery. The crappy thing is half the stuff soldered it was almost like half the oven didnt reach the right temp. Another question does anyone know if the LEDs are indicator lights or if they are in backwards will something not work? I am fairly certain i put them in the right direction but one of them was extremely hard to tell if there was a little circle…

and should i put a fuse in line with the battery wires… And if i should home many amps would you go with? Thanks for all the help really hoping this board turns out.

yes, the blue is for the power, the red and green for operation with the drv. And next time for the LED look at the pads before placing them.

Yes, and around 40amp to 60amp

Don’t you have a 12V battery to confirm it works. Done to limit the amount of current otherwise you could kill the DRV8302. Proceed with caution until you are confident it won’t die.

Capacitor voltages its okay to have ones rated higher than the intended voltage, but never below. Capacitance is of question in regards to capacitor size and either one or two. Its done to deal with ripple current and has been talked among the RC people. 50V is okay for 10S.

NO, this is totally false and misleading. It won’t brake the DRV8302 (half of the problem have there root with other part than the DRV, but lead to DRV failure, like burnt MCU and CAN tranceiver).

But it is true, you should use low current 12V to check if all part are working, and program the MCU, before putting a big load and running motor detection.

And you should go with the 63V capacitor, because the maximum rating of the VESC is 60V.

Alright i do have a small 12v i can use instead so i will give that a shot…

So the instant i hook up the stlink2 to my vesc all the light go off on the stlink2 and I cant see it under lsusb in ubuntu so im guessing something is shorted or not connected :frowning: when i run make upload i get “This adapter doesn’t support configurable speed”. I also dont get any lights on the VESC.

Alright so i checked some solder joints and now the lights stay on the stlink2 and the blue light on the VESC comes on but i get this weird error init mode failed in procedure ‘transport’.

I think, you will need to get the Multi-Meter out, and check for short, because you may have a solder bridge under one of the chip. Also check if you have the 5v from the drv a the 3.3v from the regulator.

You need to uncomment the line 273 and comment line 274 with a # in the make file before doing the make upload.

How do i edit the make file is that the config one?

No, it’s in the top folder like the config one and it’s called “makefile”.

Just comment the part for the discovery board in there and uncomment the STLink part.

Alright will although my patience got the best of me and i wrecked the board. Kinda my fault and the merchant i bought the parts from. The small processor had a bunch of bent pins so i tried straightening them out myself this made the processor solder down not perfectly straight so i did the best to correct it but ripped some of the copper of the board in the process… Now I need to decide if i should say screw it and buy one or try make one myself again.

Alright so i changed the code but i think its a little to late really sucks I should have waited for someone to comment back :frowning:

Welcome to the predicament I am still in. Really weigh your options if it still worth the cost of building another one or ones already made.

do yo have a picture ?

Where are you located?

Thief River Falls, Minnesota. Crazy thing so after i changed that code i hooked it up for shits and giggles and it started to compile but eventually errored out which i knew it would since half the pins are busted now. Why did you want to know where i live?

Only reason im still considering building my own is because i bought everything to build them lol i have 9 boards left, i have the flashing board stlink2, I have a laptop with ubuntu, I have a homemade surface mount oven, and i like to build my own stuff haha.

Well I don’t there is any possibility to repair this board, Better luck with the 9 other board. :confused:

What solder paste did you use, and did you use flux when doing your repair ? Also what is your temperature curve on your oven ?