VESC Monitor Android App

Thanks. Am I the first to try this? I’ll comment then when I get to do this. Thanks dude:wink:

Just released a new version of the app which hopefully fixes some bugs which can cause app crashes. Should run a bit more stable now. It’s version 1.45

3 Likes

Awesome. Just wow.

It’s like unbelievable as is, but I have some feature requests:

• for dual, capture csv for both vesc
  • for csv file, I love the graphs. Would love it more if somehow it could show min/max/avg especially for amps/watts
  • trips, if there was a trip called “most recent” that shows totals/avg/min/max for current or most recent trip.
  • I’m only familiar with PPM, but some kind of live PPM display

I think my biggest use for this is to understand if I’m bumping into limits so I can adjust things like braking strength, so having min/max/avg/totals for recorded trips would be awesome. Of course I can copy off and crunch the csv, but it’s nice to have it in the app.

1 Like

Great App & firmware. Just donated.

I’d love to get audio feedback, mostly battery level, for when your phone is in the pocket. IE when battery voltage passes some threshold the phone vibrates, rings or outputs some audio file. I’d be down to contribute the code myself if you were willing to get help or go open source. I’m mostly a win desktop programmer with no xp at all in android development but outputting audio can’t be that hard to implement I imagine.

If you haven’t already figured this out,

• splitting receiver wire will only let you monitor one VESC. I tried doing this with 2 bluetooth modules, but connection was flakey. Perhaps they interfere.

• selecting number of motors in the app automatically multplies the relevant numbers (amsp, watts, etc) by number of motors. You don’t have to do math in your head.

• using can bus master/slave, you can tell the app to talk to the “local” vesc (the vesc the bluetooth module is attached to), or another vesc on the can bus by its ID. Side note, I don’t think you can talk to the “local” vesc via canbus ID

• be careful of canbus settings, especially with traction control turned on! Turned low speed cogging into an adventure for me.

1 Like

@Ackmaniac : analyzing another ride with my dual VESC 6, I figured out that duty cycle is only integer in the csv file (either 0 or 1). Could you have a look to this ? Thanks ! :wink:

So Vesc 6 works again with the app? I will have a look.

It has always worked with the VESC 6, but no more with my regular VESC 4.12. :wink:

Does the duty cycle look ok in the realtime data that is visible?

Edit. think i fixed the problem. also fixed a bug in the Graph Visualization of the app. That’s in Version 1.46

1 Like

Thanks for being responsive ! About the connection issue with my other board, do you change something on the BT side in the last updates ? Or must I investigate on the HW side ?

And any plan on the warning voltage/range/capacity feature ? (Sorry for being insistent, I’m being asked very often with this one by french guys :wink: )

Cheers !

What’s the pinout for the VESC so I know where to connect the bluetooth module to?

I just released a new Version a couple of minutes ago which has a nice new Feature. You can measure the acceleration of your board.

Once you click on the Speed Box the app tells you that it will start to measure when the board comes to a complete stop. When it is ready to start then you see “Ready to go”. Now you can start to accelerate.

You will see a result like this:

1: shows the seconds needed to accelerate from 0 - 10 km/h 2: shows the seconds needed to accelerate from 10 - 20 km/h 3: shows the seconds needed to accelerate from 0 - 20 km/h a.s.o The last lines shows the seconds needed to accelerate till the maximum reached speed.

To start another testrun you should click the speed box to stop the measurement and click it again to start from new.

Have fun

14 Likes

Realized that when mi/h is used then steps of 10 mi/h are a bit too much. So i changed it to steps of 5 mi/h for the acceleration data.

1 Like
1 Like

Will this work with a kickstart? my 400 kv motors have no torque at all when stopped.

Sure. Just give it a try.

Sure will.

So I found a roundabout way to get audio alerts with vesc monitor. Activating a developer option to log all BT traffic in a file. I then just have to read that file to get all telemetry data. Getting audio alerts after that is child’s play.

proof of concept : https://youtu.be/ZPyg_2yS2VQ

I’ll polish that for a bit then make a github and maybe a dedicated thread.

4 Likes

Brilliant!!

1 Like

Trip specific recording - I have the same data in the total and the trip 1-3 views. Where do I have to select which trip is recorded? Thanks!

You can reset Trip 1, 2 or 3 by selecting it and then press long in the screen. The app will ask you then to reset the Trip. It Worms like the little Button in Most cars at the odometer. It just Starts to count from there.

Actually reminds me that there was s little bug. Because when you reset tue data the screen doesn’t refresh so that you still see the old data. But it works.