VESC Monitor Android App

No it doesn’t. But i released a new version 5 kin ago again which should fix a little bug with VESC 6. So please use the newest version. Sadly the progress bars will not work correctly and the app might crash with VESC 6 but hopefully the realtime data is visible.

Ok, it works. :slight_smile:

But the power value stays at 0W. Also, could you add the motor temperature ? As now with VESC 6, the main limiting factor will be the motor temperature (due to huge performances of the new VESC), it will be necessary to keep an eye on it. :wink:

1 Like

@Pimousse thx for all the usefull info and for testing. I released a new version which shows should fix the power value issue.

1 Like

You’re welcome ! I’m a daily user of your app since the first version, it’s normal to send you the lift back. BTW, I’ll continue to test your app. It crashed a lot (reported). I also got error 22 multiple times (had to kill the app to have it running back).

1 Like

Just released a new Version 1_43 of the app. Now you can see the already known boards which let’s you adjust the settings and see the Trip info (total km, wh, ah etc.) even when the board is not connected via Bluetooth. In this case the boards name is shown in gray. When the boards Bluetooth is available it will turn red.

7 Likes

@Ackmaniac : I had my first ride with my dual VESC 6. It worked well, but values seems to be very low when I look at the chart with VDLA (7 Wh/km with dual 3550W on a eMTB, only 46A max drawn). I set 2 in VESC numbers.

Is it possible that the app didn’t double values regarding my dual configuration ?

Thank you for the info. Your were absolutely right. Just released a new version which fixes this issue. That was a very stupid mistake. Sadly i can’t test it myself.

i’m putting the finishing touches on a new build and including vesc monitoring, just waiting for the jst 7pin connector to arrive. in some ways i’m looking forward to the vesc monitoring the most out of this new build.

i think this question kind of answers itself but wanted to make sure.

i’m controlling dual vesc by splitting the remote receiver’s 3pin servo cable.

since i’m not using the CAN, do i just enable “send status over CAN” tickbox so the ‘slave’ vesc reports back to the master, where the bluetooth module is connected?

if i HAVE to control dual drive with CAN, i will probably monitor one vesc and just double the values in my head.

Hey @Ackmaniac, the app worked well but since i’ve updated my HW 4.12 to FW 3.26 there is no more realtime data visible. I’ve updated the app today so it’s the newest version. Any Idea? Thanks

Hi Rich, did you see some improvement in 4.12 with the new firmware?

Yes there are new features like motor temperature max. settings (if you have motors with temp sensors like trampa) and motor temp realtime data. Also the FW update without bootloader on PCB 4.12 is no problem. There are nice motor and app wizards in Vesc-Tool and adjustable throttle curve, max. watt,… Also FOC should run better (but i don’t use it). Everything looks good. Tomorrow i’ll test it outside the first time :grinning:

1 Like

The app seems to crash if the board gets disconnected or turned off when the app is running in the background. It’s also really hard to kill the app when it’s frozen.

1 Like

I have an wemos 8266 d1 mini laying around. Have someone made it to work with it? @Ackmaniac thank you so much for the app. With mode control I can set the board to go 15kmh and therfor leagally ride it from the pub :smile:
Will buy you a couple of beers when it’s up and running!

Made it already working with the ESP via WiFi UART. Nice but tue WiFi uses too much ma. And you can Limit the speed in any mode. Just simply Set the Max speed for the mode. A couple of beers are very welcome.

1 Like

Just noticed it´s saturday. good time for a beer then :slight_smile:

Just wanted to ask if anybody has been using the app with a phone running android 7 (nougat)? I can connect to the module but no data is displayed. The module works with my old phone running android 5.1.

1 Like

@capfirepants Im using it with ny android (LG G5) along with nougat, Used to have problems with crashes but now it works flawless as far as I noticed.

I am running a Nexus 5 with 7.1.1 and it works just fine. The only (minor) thing I experience occasionally is that the app won’t connect straight away when choosing my board, so I have to press connect again in the top right corner. other than that I am super happy with the app - just tested the mode changing feature yesterday and it is awesome to not need a PC everytime you want to try a new setting.

Hy. Firstly. Thanks a lot @Ackmaniac for these beast of custom firmware and app. I’m more than anxious to try it out as soon as i catch a brake from work. I have a very tiny concern in my head however. I am sure I am not going to have my phone always connected when I have my board running and I don’t like the idea of someone connecting to my board when I’m riding and screwing something up. Would it be possible to add a switch to the bluetooth module? Maybe simply to the 5v line? Would that be safe for the module and the vesc? And would it be safe to hot switch on and off the module?

Sure you can add a switch to the 5V line. For UART that shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like