VESC Monitor Android App

For me its the same. I’m running FW 3.40 but using Ackmaniacs fw makes no difference. Maybe its the receiver. Vesc tool for Android works though…

I’ve been seeing people post about this a lot. There is nothing wrong with your phone or Bluetooth module. BV made a change in FW 3.40 that breaks the monitor apps. VESC-Tool will work fine since it already has the change.

Options: wait for ack to update his app to 3.40 or more, revert to 3.38, or install ack’s firmware.

Hmmm, as I said, I already tried Ackmaniacs FW. Reverting to 3.38 needs an older version of VESC Tool to initially configure everything so I can’t test it since the linux version 0.94 is not available (at least I didnt find it) I think I wait for 3.4 support :slight_smile: Thanks anyway.

Ah I see, could be your BLE module, is it a real HM-10? Clones or knockoffs have issues with Android 8. If that’s not it, then I’m out of ideas.

Reporting in with connection problems too.

Screenshot_20180827-195624

Screenshot_20180827-195525

I’ve actually gone through three different hm10 modules by now. One from BKB, one from Amazon, and one from Psychotiller, none of them work, all of them have the same symptoms with the app; connects then disconnects in an endless loop, doesn’t transmit data.

I’m on Android 8.1

Is there anyway to password protect each board you have?

I could use some help right now. After a very long time without using my board I turned it on today. Everything working fine after a check up except the Bluetooth. Im certain the app has been updating all this time but the board has been untouched. I get a red blinking led in the Bluetooth module. I can’t remember what the led used to do but that is what im getting. And I’m 100% sure Bluetooth was working before. Now I just get the board name in grey in the app Ann’s no connection.
Thanks for any help

The Bluetooth light should be still red when connected not blinking. I would guess you update to Android Oreo 8 on your phone. If that is the case you need to flash your module with the HM10 firmware or get a new module.

@rey8801 I have android 8 on this phone. But I don’t understand how this would be a problem if the problem is the module. I know my module is original. I bought it in the recommended seller of the first post. So if the led shouldn’t be blinking, and I have checked the wire connection. Probably the problem is the module not working any more?

The one recommended in the post was a clone one. The original cost more than 15 euro just the module. Anyhow you do not need the original just flash your module, otherwise I have some module left. They are plug and play module all wired for 9 euro with donation to Ackmaniac. Anyhow I would advice to flash it. There are tutorial on the Arduino forum and also in this thread. The reason why it doesn’t work is because Android Oreo changed the BLE connection so clone old module won’t work. I bet your module showed up as CC2541 or similar. With ordinal firmware it will pop up as HM10. Just Google or search i the forum and you find a lot of people with the same problem. What you can do to check is take an old android phone not with Oreo and test it. You will see that thee is still possible to use it

I’m on a galaxy note 8 and I’ve had similar issues, it seems to be a crap shoot of when it works. I dont get this issue with my nexus 6p.

Sorry forgot to check! From the app I see you have a MLT-BT05. Those clones are decent and I have some that works with Android 8.x and some not. Depends if they have the last firmware. Anyhow I always flash them with the ordinal HM10 firmware and then they all work. I recommend to do the same.

I am sorry but you say that i need to flash my firmware on my module does that mean that i need to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez3491-v8Og because if i have to start doing that every android update I think I will have to change to metr apps because i am not really interested in this kinda coding and stuff and i really suck at it and i always fuck up something. I also see that he bought another usb device to connect the module too I guess you also need that one right?

Yes that the procedure. You find also the tutorial on the Arduino forum page. You only need an Arduino nano or Arduino uno. Plus some wiring. Once you do it, the module will work with Android you don’t need to do it every time. If you want I have some module left, already flashed and wired for cheap. I advice to flash it, but in case you have an option :wink:

Has anyone tried this with a FlipSky vesc 6 derivative? Or any vesc 6?

When I open the app and scan, it shows nothing, even if there are a bunch of BT devices visible in the phones bluetooth settings. MLT-BT05 is also seen by the phone, but does not show up in the app. I am on android 7.1

Or is it just beacuse of the shitty BLE module?

Edit, when I turned GPS on BLE showed up immediately. I see the data! awesome

I am getting Flipsky vesc6. I can also try it, but I first need to find the time to set them after I receive them

Hey guys!

I have some strange problems and no explanation for it, hope someone can help. My BT modules are recognized as HM-soft in the app. On my MTB with V6 and FW 3.38 it worked but since 3 weeks the app crashes when selecting the BT-module (Android 7.1.1 | App V1.111). I thought the BT module is broke but I still can connect with my old mobile (Android 4.4.2 | App V1.70).

Now it’s getting really weird. Recently I finished another build with V4 and FW 3.38 and the same kind of BT module. It can connect and it works with Android 7.1.1 but the BT module is recognized as the same as my MTB (including name) so when I select my new board the app connects to my “MTB” with all its settings in the app but it’s a different board.

I’m very confused :crazy_face:

Did you flash the bluetooth modules with a new firmware. Because maybe the firmware gives it the same address?

1 Like

BTW, i rolled out a new version yesterday which fixes a couple of small bugs and maxbe improves stability or connectivity for Android 8.0 devices. Especially at startup when it sometimes doesn’t connect.

It also brings back the possibility to program other power settings for the front axle if you have a 4WD board.

1 Like

Thanks for quick reply! I’m a moron I forgot that I switched from V4 to V6 on my MTB and also changed the module. That’s why both BT modules have the same board name but different adresses, all good, sorry.

But my main problem is that I can’t connect to my MTB, the app crashes after selecting the module (without opening the app main screen). It worked before and suddenly no more (did not update anything). No changes with V1.112. Any idea?