VESC Monitor Android App

Finally I got this to work with ACKMANIAC-ESC tool version 3.102, I had to compiled a version for Ubuntu and that wasn’t straight forward.

At this point using the BT05 Bluetooth client module Ackmaniac ESC monitor works and if I use the Metr-pro BT module and can use the metr Pro but not both at the same time which is a shame.

There was a problem after updating to V1.110 version. The connection is made but does not receive any data at all. My smartphone is Galaxy Note 4 and Android version is 6.01. The firmware of vesc 6 is 3.38. It worked before the app was updated. Could you check the problem?

Two Questions:

1. Can you list an approximate minimum Android version number on which this should work? I use an older “I don’t care what happens to it” phone when on my board and it’s at Android 4.1, and when I go to the play store to download it, it doesn’t show up…indicating it’s “incompatible”. For example: Are you assuming everyone is using an Android 6 phone or better?

2. If you don’t already do this, please consider providing a READ-ONLY or “safe” mode so folks can’t accidentally screw-up board settings when they’re exploring the functionality of your app.

What phone are you using? I might be able to help get you up to date with a newer android version in order to get this working for you if you’d like.

Version 5.0 is the minimum.

Thoughts and help would be appreciated. My “I don’t care what happens to it” phone is an LG D-500 “Optimus F6” Currently running Android 4.1.2, kernel 3.4.0, version D50010h It’s taken some very hard knocks but keeps on ticking. Would be a pity to accidentally brick it with failed jailbreaking, but looks like I may have to try. Or, I could go looking for a refurb phone at higher Android level and justify as a “cost of skateboarding”…sort of?

EDIT to add: SeanHacker–Just realized…I don’t want to hijack this thread. Please PM if replying on uplifting the LG phone.

1 Like

Thank you. Much appreciated info.

Thinking of buying an android device for using the app, anyone have any recommendations ? I really won’t be using any Cellular Features and at most I’ll only be using the app for it

So I tried to search for this but didn’t find the answer.

1 module is enough to change different modes on dual setup right?

Yes it is. If the bluetooth module is connected to the master you can also adjust the throttle/braking curve. While only the different mode if you are connected to the slave VESC.

1 Like

Thanks! I haven’t messed around with throttle brake curve yet. Would you recommend adjusting it ?

Depends if you feel your accelleration and braking not smooth enough it definitely helps a lot. I do use both of them.

Ok. I will check it out someday

When the ble module is connected to the slave then you can connect with the app to the master via CAN and change modes the same way as if you are connected to the master directly.

I just got a new Nokia 7 plus and cant connect it to board. Android 8.1(Can see board in BT settings, not in app). The same board (Raptor 2) works on a samsung A9 pro…

Well I don’t hear that very often these days.

5 Likes

How can i update my 6.6 with ackmaniac fw? Im having i/O error when uploading, vesc is ok with current fw (vesc fw 3.x),

@Ackmaniac: I was using your app on three different boards along with your VESC tool on Focboxes, testing on several rides, but now it crashes, giving the notice “Unforunately, ESC Monitor has stopped.” It doesn’t work at all on any board. Do you know how I can fix it? I have rebooted my phone, plus have reinstalled the app and neither improved it. Sometimes I can get the operating screen to come up, but even then it doesn’t read the data from the Focbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did your telephone recently update to a newer Android version by chance?

I have a feature request: it would be awesome to be able to adjust positive and negative ramping time per mode in the app.

I changed my ramping time to 0.1s to compliment more aggressive riding, but it would be great to be able to change this to say 0.5s or 1s for the chill/beginner modes I’ve set up.