VESC Monitor Android App

My firmware mod also works on windows so you can give it a try. And did you connect the bluetooth module to the 5V line and connected RX at the VESC to TX at the module and TX at the VESC to RX at the module?

Yeahh, I connected it exactly that way. Then I will might give it a try, thought you said you needed Ubuntu for it or something.

soooo, my programmer finaly arrived which means i could finaly flash your firmware (was missing a bootloader) and use your app completly with modes

nice work, donations incoming ^^

For anyone interested I recently had the problem that my AntiSpark switch was turned on the entire week during which I did not ride the board. The battery was luckily only drained to 31V from 41V. This got me thinking however, on how to keep this from happening again. I donā€™t want to have to actively check every day if the board is still on or not and I also donā€™t want a status LED because of stealthiness. So I had to come up with a different way.

Since we already have a BT module in our boards why not simply have Tasker check if the BT device is in range and if it is give a warning? To keep it from constantly checking and giving random warnings I added the phone being charged as a second requirement before the warning is allowed to show.

Works like a charm. Whenever the board is still on when I plug the phone in for charging at night Iā€™ll get a warning message telling me to turn off the board.

You just have to set a profile with the conditions ā€œchargingā€ and ā€œBT nearā€ and associate a warning message to it. The BT near can be set up with the following settings: Name and address of the BT device you can see in @Ackmaniacā€™s app and then activate the checkboxes for ā€œLow energy devicesā€ and ā€œunpaired devicesā€.

So if anybody wants to reduce the risk of accidentally leaving the board on for an extended period of time I can only recommend giving this a shot as well.

Edit: You obviously need to have the board in BT range of your phone at night - if you have a 300m^2 house and the board on the opposite side to your phone this will not work :slight_smile:

8 Likes

ThatĀ“s an awesome idea! IĀ“ll check that later, because iĀ“m not trusting my eswitch on my bms :smiley:

I already kiiled 5 lipos by forgetting to switch off mine as well. Thank you very much for the tip !

Just rolled out a new version which fixes the issue that you donā€™t see the data anymore when the phones screen is switched off with the app running in the background and you turned of the board. Now it shows the last captured data even if the board is already turned off while the app is running in the background. Of course you need to start the app first and connect to the board.

3 Likes

And you need to turn in the txā€¦

A issue I had was at a event there was a lot people with Bluetooth devices so I was not able to see or select my board. Also is it risky that someone can hijack my board via Bluetooth?

Once you connected to the board with the app and gave the board a name then you will see the device with the name in red. And in theory it is possible to high jack the board. But once you are connected nobody else can connect to it anymore.

1 Like

I have connected to my board before and given it a name. I think there where to many devices around me and the red name from my board like there usually is didnā€™t pop up.

so it would be nice to get an already connected and named board on top of the results.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great idea. Will do so

1 Like

Wich android version do I need to get your app working? At the moment I have old phone with 4.1.2. android version.

At least 5.0 if you want to use the feature to record videos and 4.4 i think if you only want to see the real-time data.

O.k thanx. Than I will ask Santa Claus for a new phone :slight_smile: Or indeed inadvertently I could smash my phone, then nothing will stop from buying new one :wink:

Ohh nice !! I often had this problem : turned the board off then looked at the phone for avg consumption : pwned. :smile:

Thanks a lot.

Is it normal that the app is not saving the average speed, Wh and other things? I tried it now only for a few km without video to check that everything is working and it did. Tried it a few days later again and saw that all average specs are gone. Is this normal? Would be nice to save these things to see the average data of all your runs.

You need to let the app run in the background. If you close it and start it after the run again it is like a new start for the app. So just leave the app by pressing the home button or the power button to switch off the display so that it is still opened in the background, this way it will capture the data while you are riding.

I rode like a kilometer with it open and like i said it worked great, but a few days later all the average data from the last run were gone. I would want to see the average data from all my runs while the app is active. So that i can tell how many wh for example i drew over the last month or so. ShouldnĀ“t it work this way with the average data?