VESC Monitor Android App

When you are connected to the master(CAN or directly doesn’t matter) then the app will check at start which slaves are connected and check for faults of all members. But after that first initial check it only recognizes the faults of the one you are currently watching.

1 Like

Ok perfectly good to know. Because I read the sometimes to detect DRV faults you need to spin the motor so I’m this case only the one directly connected can be detected. I was wondering if to allow the firmware upload through the app via TCP you would only need a faster baud than 9600. I also understand that you would need to modify each module via AT commands…which makes everything less friendly use.

Firmware upload works already. I was surprised as well. But the firmware uploads will only work with my firmware because there i use a default baud rate of 9600. The original firmware uses 115200.

Man you should highlighted it! Or an I the only one that missed it? Fantastic. I am using your firmware BTW. I guess it would just be just slightly slower. Next step for you would be make a VESC tool app version with your firmware :laughing: Not that I need it, it’s just nice…

Hi, I just tried the new version. It worked for me a few times, but now it’s back to the bad behavior…however, I noticed one odd thing:

If I deactivate the location services on my phone, or just refuse to give the app the permissions to access the GPS, the bluetooth device list remains empty. If I had my board registered, it appears greyed out. Also, even with all the services activated and giving it the permissions, it still shows the “functionality reduced” prompt. Could it be a permissions issue?

Bluetooth low energy needs GPS permissions. Even if it doesn’t activate GPS. Don’t ask me why.

Well, didn’t know that, sorry. I’ll report if I find anything new, thanks anyway!

Update: I received the update 1.103 and now when the app is connected to the vesc a blinking message says “No storage folder found” is appering. I see in the logbook that the app created the new file although the messagge is always there. PLus the TCP connection is more instable, I could connect via CAN to the slave and also the motor and app writing/reading worked only sometimes. WIth the 1.101 I everything worked proberly. I just wanted to report to you @Ackmaniac. Thx!

Just came back from a ride with the Lou and thought about a useful new feature: an upload button to @DeathCookieshttps://gct-hp.de/VDLA/ to get a better visualization of the ride.

1 Like

True. Would also be nice the possibility to share it with the all ride data as metr does.

1 Like

Isn’t a video the a much better way to share your ride? Especially with realtime data.

1 Like

Yes it’s super nice. I just suggested another option. The nice thing of having a shareable interacting data log is that you can go through the ride and share the whole data on forum to better understand if there is problem whatsoever while with the video you can not actually quick see it because you see the real data but they are in steaming so more difficult to compare than an organize chart. Anyhow do you have a public folder where it’s possible to find the old apk of the app? As I said before the new update made it worse in my case when the 1.101 was working just fine. Thx

Released already another update. Please give it a try

I will report back in 20 minutes :grin:

If you flashed your BLE module or have a decent HM-10 I recommend to execute the AT command AT+POWE3 which sets it to the highest transmitting power of 6dbm. This is then about 4 times as strong as standard.

1 Like

Cool! I will try with another module first. Because mine is inside the enclosure, with hot glue ecc… A pain to remove it :grin: anyhow I have really stable signal now. Once you suggested to move far from the motor wires and indeed now the connection is stable.

Tried 1.105. It’s even more stable than 1.101. Works perfectly now. Thx

I think the stability of the TCP connection has also to do how far away you are from your router and to your board. So it’s best to bring board router and smartphone close together.

@rey8801 thx for testing and feedback.

At the time of the 1.103 I tried also really close to the router and with Hotspot that usually was really stable but nothing. Now with 1.105 I was on wifi. Far from the router and no problem. Better like that :sunglasses:

@Ackmaniac hi again! After the latest update I’m still not seeing any info, but now I get a “No storage found to save file prompt” every few seconds. After checking, I saw that the app is able to create a folder for itself even if I delete it manually, but the files inside of it are 0 bytes each and corrupted. It has the storage permissions granted. Could the file writing API have changed in Android 8? Could you please add a toggle to disable file logging and see if I can at least get the live data? Thanks a lot!