VESC Monitor Android App

Awesome! time to get a Bluetooth module!

Nothing important, just a little mistake. Thought I would let you know if there are any significant updates worth making this might be easy to fix. BTW: great app, appreciate your work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It´s carnival time here, so a Costume is totally fine :monkey:

2 Likes

Thanks for the hint. will be fixed in the next version. Currently working on a more reliable bluetooth connection.

2 Likes

When I connect to my module it isn’t reading any values. It just shows the main screen with all stats displaying zero. I am running on the 3.34 firmware updated via the VESC Tool.

Have you enabled UART on your VESC ? Baud rate to 9600 ?

I use RC remote so its set to PPM and UART. I tried both 115200 and 9600. but I’ll try 9600 again. EDIT: The Vesc Connect Pro app says VESC firmware is too old.

VESC connect pro is crap, it says the same thing for me but my VESC works well with @Ackmaniac’s app.

I tried his app as well. It showed up as BT05, but when I tried connecting to it, all the stats on screen we’re zero. I tried tapping the disconnect and connect button in the top right and it didn’t seem to do anything. I may have to try a different device. I’m using my Android 7.1.2 tablet because my phone runs Android Oreo and BLE won’t work.

EDIT: seems like my VESC had bigger problems. I had to reset the firmware with an ST-link because not even the usb connection would work. Bluetooth works great now! I have no idea what happened to my vesc though…

Weird. I had issues at first because I didn’t activate the localisation. The app needs Bluetooth and localisation to work properly. Once I did that, the app found my board, I tapped it, gave it a name and setup pulleys and battery settings and that was it.

Yes it needs the right to read the location. Took me a couple of hours to find out that this is necessary for android to be able to use Bluetooth low energy.

@Brando did you set the baud rate to 9600 and crossed TX and RX on vesc and bluetooth module?

1 Like

Can the app handle dual vescs that are not connected to each other or do I need to switch between modules?

You have to switch between them. But I recommend to connect them via CAN.

@Ackmaniac I could see strange values coming in(FW2.18), and slow update speed. It is maybe a result of an EMI. And I wonder why that really happens. And I have a question, if I configure Bluetooth module & VESC to use 115200 baudrate, would it work with the Vesc-Monitor app? Thank you for your time&effort for building this amazing app :slight_smile:

The app will work with 115200 as well. And I don’t know why you have a slow update rate and strange data. Maybe try to switch to a newer version.

1 Like

Thank you for response, here is my screenshot of the log where ‘Wrong’ values are logged

=> I am pretty sure somehow transmission data was corrupted/un-synced at those 2 moments.

And do you mean the bldc firmware or bldc-tool firmware by saying ‘newer version’?? In that case, I got my VESC from @torqueboards and I am afraid I might mess up the drv-chip. What software can I upgrade, from Hardware v4.12 ?

This is such a great App :heart_eyes: @Ackmaniac!

How much I have to donate for a second selectable theme like this? :laughing:

It would be great at night and even at day imo with grey numbers and the main ones in white.

4 Likes

I will give it a thought. Donations are always welcome.

1 Like

looks great!

I just released a new version of the app which has a changed BLE connection which should help to improve the stability of the connection. It also has a black layout which can be activated via the settings. And when you press on the distance box you activate drag measurement which shows you how lang you need for 0-25m, 0-50m, 0-75m, 0-100m, 0-125m, 0-150m, 0-175m and 0-200m meters from a standstill.

Google will need a couple of hours to provide the new version.

11 Likes