VESC Monitor Android App

Yep, think I forgot to reset after changing from total to trip1 before riding. So each ride is recorded to all trips, and the distinction is made just by resetting at the start?! Thanks!

I just applied a new version of the app which fixes the refresh issue of the trip modes when they are reset and also a nice little feature many wanted me to implement.

Now you can get warning sounds when the Battery is below 50%, 40%, 30%, 20%, 10% and 0%. You can enable it in the battery setup screen. The sound that is played is "Warning! Battery at 50%" But please be aware that the sound will only be as loud as your actual ringtone volume.

7 Likes

Hi Nico, just curious: I suppose, you use the current voltage of the pack for the alarm. The battery Wh is used for the estimation of the remaining range - is this done linear or you use some kind of battery model? Can you explain a little on that, because I mostly have quite high km-ranges left and in the end they “drop down” quite fast.

Thanks Dude

Because of that you define yourself in 10% steps at which voltage the battery has how many % capacity left. Can be seen in tue picture above.

Yes … but then, how do you calculate the Range? I wonder for what purpose resp. how you use the “Battery Wh” in the Battery Setup. Just curious to know, because I run the same board with different battery setups and want to keep the changes when swapping the batteries (different s, different capacity) to a minimum.

1 Like

First i calculate the capacity in percent. Then Wh multiplied with that percentage which gives me the left over Wh. And the the actula Wh consumption devided by the left over Wh.

E.g. Wh 400 100% 4.2 90% 4.1 80% 4.0 70% 3.9 60% 3.8 50% 3.7 40% 3.6 30% 3.5 20% 3.4 10% 3.3 0% 3.3

Voltage is at 43.2V for a 12S Battery it is which is 40% capacity because the single cell voltage is 3.6V. 40% * 400Wh = 160Wh

If the actual Wh consumpion is 12.5 Wh/km you have 12,8 km left. (160 / 12.5)

So if you want to use different batterys it would b good that they are of the same type. Because then the capacity would match for the single cell voltage. So you only need to change the Wh and the amount of cells.

2 Likes

Congrats ! That’s amazing ! Hack of Ack’ :smile:

@Ackmaniac : Is VESC Monitor compatible with latest Android 7.0 Nougat ?

Think so. No chance to try but should work.

I am using it on a Nexus 5 with 7.1.1 and works perfectly fine

1 Like

Perfect. That was the only blocking point for upgrading my Nexus 5X. For you, is it worth it ?

I am always trying to stay up to date - even if it is just for the security updates.

Hi, one more question regarding the “Trip Feature”. The recorded distance in t trips seem to be approximately twice the distance I actually rode (and which is shown in the “normal” screen). I’m running a dual motor setup, could this be the reason?

Heard about that bug before. But i can’t reproduce it. For me it is working reliable.

Edit: Found the bug. It happens when you switch from the realtime data screen to the video recording screen.

Just released a new version 1.51 which fixes that issue. Thx for the info.

5 Likes

BAM - that’s what I call responsiveness :+1: Thanks!

1 Like

You need tp update to 7.1.2 asap then :smile: jk

My canbus is not working on my dual setup. Can I use 2 bluetooth modules and still change the modes with the app?

what´s wrong with you canbus?

I have no Idea. They refuse to communicate. I think the can bus chip is broken on one of the vesc’s. Not sure since it power on and everything else works. I have a thread about the issue. If you have some idea what might be wrong, please feel fee to suggest options :slight_smile:

How close is a IOS app?