VESC Monitor Android App

On Google Play Store is still version 1.20 from 12th of April. Should not be a newer version available?

You are right, google changed the way to publish apps. So i missed a step. Should be available now or in a couple of hours. Correct new version is 1.21

1 Like

So i’ve tried installing this app as well and sadly I can’t connect to the BTLE Model at all. I’m using a HM-10 Module with firmware version 5.4. The connection works without problems with the VESC_CONNECT app from Jacob but I cant connect using yours. Running vesc FW 4.18. I was using v 1.2 this morning and I got “cannot connect, please try again” as an error message. Updated to 1.21 this afternoon and now I dont get the error message any more, the connect button changes to “Disconnect” but the graphs still don’t show any data.

Did you connect it this way? VESC 5v - VCC Module VESC GND - GND Module VESC RX - TX Module VESC TX - RX Module

And you need to set a baudrate of 9600 for UART in BLDC-Tool.

Yes, the connection is correct - it works with Jacob Bloy’s app “Vesc connect”. Also the baudrate is set correctly.

Can you also read the data in the Vesc Connect app? Seems that you have the wrong Bluetooth module. They mostly work with my firmware mod because i changed the timing there. You can find more information here.

1 Like

Yes, its possible to read and write data in the vesc connect app. The firmware of the bluetooth chip is the official HM-10 one which I flashed this morning. There a quite a few cheap copies of the HM-10 around which behave slightly differently so it may be that you are using a clone and havn’t realized yet: http://blog.yavilevich.com/2017/03/mlt-bt05-ble-module-a-clone-of-a-clone/

Please show me which Bluetooth module you used exactly. And you can also give my VESC firmware mod a try if you want. Maybe it fixes the problem, maybe not. You can also try to restart your smartphone. Had a issue once.

I recieved a MLT-BT05 branded chip - they are discussed in the article I linked above. I then used this method: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=393655.0 to flash the official HM-10 Firmware onto the chip. I have a different phone which I can use to test and will do that now.

1 Like

So you have a clone and flashed it with the original firmware. Hard to tell what could be the issue then.

1 Like

So the problem seems to be the phone. My huawei mate 9 doesn’t seem to like connecting to the module. My old samsung galaxy s4 does it without a problem.

Also, sorry if my last comments came across a bit dickish, that wasn’t my intention.

I published a new version 1.25 which should be a bit more stable when it switches from the normal to the video view.

Edit: Changed the layout of the app a little bit so that it should be easier for the eye to concentrate on the important data. Also added a auto focus for the camera and and automatic stabilization of the video if the smartphone supports this feature. Also changed the handling of the different modes which let’s you change the their order. And you can now copy already existing modes which should make it easier to create a new one.

3 Likes

Here is a little Video which is made with the new layout.

2 Likes

unfortunately my App crashes constantly when switching to the Video Capture page

I provided a new version which hopefully foxes a couple of crashes on some devices. If the app crashes then please send the bug report. @Marty would be great if you can also give it a try.

1 Like

hi - yeah I sent a bug report feedback

Please update the app to the newest Version 1.26 and try it again. I think this error is fixed in the new one. You definitely used the old version. If the problem still exists then please report the issue again.

updated to 1.26 - same UI crash when selcting video capture

Finally got around to setting this up. The app is so cool!

On the other hand, my board keeps disconnecting from my phone while riding. Got any suggestions for BT module placement? My deck is wood and fiberglass and my enclosure is plastic.

Best is to keep the module away from the battery and phase wire cables. With my board i still have a good connection when i am 10 meters away.